• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Merci Arsène

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
A story from the brilliant book, The Mixer (premier league tactics from route one to false nines) by Michael Cox, perfectly sums up Wenger's astuteness at Arsenal.

Anelka had fallen out with Overmars. 'I'm not getting enough of the ball,' he muttered to the French press. 'I'm going to see the manager soon because Overmars is too selfish'.

The complication, however, was that Anelka barely spoke English and Overmars didn’t understand French, so Wenger was not only moderator but also interpreter, and played the situation beautifully.

He asked the two players to spell out their issues; Anelka repeated his complaint to Wenger in their native tongue, while in English, Overmars claimed he always looked out for Anelka’s runs and didn’t understand his problem.

Rather than translating their comments accurately, Wenger eventually told Overmars that Anelka had said he no longer had a problem, then told Anelka that Overmars was promising to pass more. Both were lies, but it resolved the situation."
You can't learn diplomacy if this nature. Born leader!

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
A story from the brilliant book, The Mixer (premier league tactics from route one to false nines) by Michael Cox, perfectly sums up Wenger's astuteness at Arsenal.

Anelka had fallen out with Overmars. 'I'm not getting enough of the ball,' he muttered to the French press. 'I'm going to see the manager soon because Overmars is too selfish'.

The complication, however, was that Anelka barely spoke English and Overmars didn’t understand French, so Wenger was not only moderator but also interpreter, and played the situation beautifully.

He asked the two players to spell out their issues; Anelka repeated his complaint to Wenger in their native tongue, while in English, Overmars claimed he always looked out for Anelka’s runs and didn’t understand his problem.

Rather than translating their comments accurately, Wenger eventually told Overmars that Anelka had said he no longer had a problem, then told Anelka that Overmars was promising to pass more. Both were lies, but it resolved the situation."
this is fcuking brilliant! :lol:

Makes me wonder how many current managers could be able to do that.

So many players went bust after leaving Wenger because he was just incredible at managing players. Anelka a prime example.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
'However by 23/24, they go to City/Barca', is what he meant.
Great to see posters finally understanding the problems Arsène had with lack of funding. Even though he kept us top 4 for 20 years.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Great to see posters finally understanding the problems Arsène had with lack of funding. Even though he kept us top 4 for 20 years.
More the lack of getting the very best out of some high class groups of players. Did great to acquire them--couldn't quite eek out what he should have. All water under the bridge now though.

GDeep™

League is very weak
More the lack of getting the very best out of some high class groups of players. Did great to acquire them--couldn't quite eek out what he should have. All water under the bridge now though.
Overachieved with every group of players he’s ever had, until the last season or so.

Water under the bridge though, like you said.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Overachieved with every group of players he’s ever had, until the last season or so.

Water under the bridge though, like you said.
Man threw titles away. Never won back to back. Under achieved, no question. Had years of experience, yet you would have to say he bottled numerous titles, if you're going to say Emery bottled 4th. These are your rules...

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Harsh. Think he was always punching above his weight really.
Point is, he got the players together. Did great doing that, but why just kick back and say that'll do? He had teams more than capable of winning titles, but we kept falling just short. Couldn't instill the right mentality in the players. He can't wheel out the 'inexperienced in the league' excuse either. This is all cold hearted criticism of a man who did wonders for the club, though, even if it ended badly.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Point is, he got the players together. Did great doing that, but why just kick back and say that'll do? He had teams more than capable of winning titles, but we kept falling just short. Couldn't instill the right mentality in the players.

Think the crucial issue was not strengthening after having success the previous year. Why that is, we can guess.

Henry says they were pushed hard, Wenger wanted the invincible season a year earlier.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Nonsense, he had no right to do that well spending what he did. All his team’s were full of holes, but his tactics and motivation were top drawer. His only problem was living up to the hyperexpectations of fans who didn’t understand the relationship between wealth and winning and expected him to beat Fergie and the oligarch clubs spending way more. All water under the bridge now though.

Ljungberg.jpg

Merci Wenger

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Think the crucial issue was not strengthening after having success the previous year. Why that is, we can guess.

Thinking the players at hand could take it another step further. Didn't he say in regards to not buying anyone bar Cech that one summer he thought the squad was good enough (if they took the next step)?

I mean sometimes it is hard to replace someone you had faith in and whom you worked with a long time when you suddenly realize he won't cut it. Do you give up or give him another season for what you saw in him? Hard decision really if you're not a fan but their mentor and manager and spent years of training sessions to improve them. I've got kids in my U18 way below average, but some days they make a step forward and finally get something and you think this is finally going somewhere and I can make them a solid player, then next session it's gone again, but when do you cut the ties? Do you go "well he did it last week, this week isn't good but I can get him to do it next week again cause last week he could" or do you go "ok this isn't working cut him loose"? On the other hand exactly that was Wenger's job and it's what you got to do sometimes. Think he was too hopeful and too reliant on his ability to get that special something out of someone who actually ended up not having it. One of the reasons I think it was time to part eventually.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Nonsense, he had no right to do that well spending what he did. All his team’s were full of holes, but his tactics and motivation were top drawer. His only problem was living up to the hyperexpectations of fans who didn’t understand the relationship between wealth and winning and expected him to beat Fergie and the oligarch clubs spending way more. All water under the bridge now though.
I’ve never been one to criticise his tactical acumen. There has been many ‘wtf’ moments, but I accept every fan of every club has those moments. When a strange sub comes off, nobody remembers that. I don’t know how anybody could not say that we didn’t get the best out of some of the group of players we had. Hate to compare it to somebody like Fergie, but look at that bunch of clowns he won the title with on his last year compared to the teams and squads that couldn’t finish off the job so many times for us.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom