• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the superior footballer?

• Total voters

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
No player in my life time has come to being anywhere near as half as good as Messi was in 11/12 & 12/ 13 seasons. 96 league goals in seasons is just unreal.
R9 was incredible, but I think lots of people overstate his actual impact (due to what could have been if not for injuries and fast food) on the pitch compared to Messi's utter domination of the sport.

BobP

Memri Fan
We'll never see anything like Messi again.

Greatest ever.

We're all lucky enough to be alive as passionate football fans during the playing career of someone who will become known as the greatest football player of all time.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We'll never see anything like Messi again.

Greatest ever.

We're all lucky enough to be alive as passionate football fans during the playing career of someone who will become known as the greatest football player of all time.
Actually, because of threads like this I think the issue will be debated for the rest of time.

Let's just enjoy their brilliance. They;re so different in many ways.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Today I finally voted on this topic.

Messi is hands down the better player. Messi can create something outta nothing. He’s a once in a generation talent and his dribbling, back control and skills cannot be matched by any current footballer.

Ronaldo is a goal scoring machine and his technique in front of goal is excellent. However, for many years now he has relied upon his teammates to keep feeding him chances after chances. He was invisible in both legs against Bayern and even today Liverpool kept him quiet.

Ronaldo is nearing the start of his decline. So now this isn’t even a fair comparison!

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Agreed. To me, Ronaldo is a top 5 player of all time who had the misfortune of overlapping (basically entirely) with the clear GOAT. The fact that he’s been able to nab so many BDOs during their shared era is a testament to his sheer will (and Madrid’s incredible squad around him).
Messi is better and that is not up for debate

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This Real Madrid Dynasty has helped Ronaldo close the gap but what does that mean in a player v player debate? Nothing.

But Madrid won thr-no. But Portug-no. Just no. Recent years have ensured that Ronaldo might finish with the best legacy but the player comparison has always been clear.

This thread shouldn't even exist.

This Real Madrid Dynasty has helped Ronaldo close the gap but what does that mean in a player v player debate? Nothing.

But Madrid won thr-no. But Portug-no. Just no. Recent years have ensured that Ronaldo might finish with the best legacy but the player comparison has always been clear.

Yeah because Messi only played with **** Barcelona teams. :lol:

Jesus.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Yeah because Messi only played with **** Barcelona teams. :lol:

Jesus.
straw-man.jpg

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Ronaldo will more than likely win the Ballon d'Or again barring Argentina winning the world cup maybe (or at least getting to the final) which puts him ahead of Messi on 6.

No matter what you say, for all those who say there's absolutely no debate to be had how do you explain this?

If we're talking purely talent and pure footballing ability than Messi is obviously the better player, in reality tho it's a small part of football and sport in general. The physical condition Ronaldo keeps himself, his perseverance, his ability to produce in the highest pressure situations and his mentality have seen him come back from being 4-1 down in Ballon d'Or against a guy who's 3 years younger and you'd assume would go on to be even better. It's absolutely phenomenal what he's done throughout his career but more specifically these last 5 years or so, he just produces whether it's qualifying Portugal for the 2014 world cup in a high pressure game vs Sweden, producing in the CL knockout stages that same season and in 2016. Producing at Euro 2016 when everyone was talking about how disappointing he's been at prior tournaments and ending up with an international trophy with a nation who'd never won one before. His crazy run in 2017 CL campaign with goals vs Bayern, Atletico and Juve and of course once again this season top CL scoring with a very impressive 15 goals at the age of 33 when for the past 3/4 years people have been talking about him being "finished".

If you look beyond just talent maybe you'll appreciate the other aspects of sport and in turn appreciate that this debate is far closer than a lot of people think it is.

5 CL titles, 5 Ballon d'Ors, Euros in 2016 and still going as good as he's ever been at the age of 33 when many doubters constantly write him off.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Portugal won the Euros without Ronaldo, but can you see Argentina winning any title without Messi?

Messi eclipses Ronaldo in every footballing category by a country mile. If Messi had never won a single ballon d'or he would still be considered better than Ronaldo.

Also if we are being honest, Ronaldo did not deserve couple of those over Messi hence why in the eyes of many including myself the ballon d'or is a farce. Nedved over Henry?

At Real Ronaldo can afford to have a bad game and the team will still come through because they're absolutely loaded, and have more match winners than Barcelona especially since Neymar has left.

And speaking of high pressure games, Messi single handedly took Argentina to three finals including the last world cup, and oh Argentina would not even be in Russia without that hat trick against the Ecuador in Quito.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

If CR7 is essentially being penalized for being in a great squad, surely Messi must be penalized as well for being in a Barca squad that featured the majority of the most dominant international team ever no? I mean fair is fair. If anything Messi is the more fortunate one being in his prime with that group while CR7 was already in decline but still the unquestionable talisman for this group. Also why does Messi get credit for bringing a better Argentina squad to 3 finals(2 of which are in the Copa America which is an easier tournament to win than the Euro) but no stick whatsoever for not scoring in any of them and in fact missing a decisive penalty to keep his country from winning? How does that work? I mean at least let's be fair in our appraisals.

Everyone moans about Messi not having help but nobody can explain why he doesn't score for country in these big finals that by the way are low scoring or scoreless in spite of the assertion that the defense behind him is poverty. The guy is a bottler at the international level in finals which should take you out of the GOAT discussion immediately. Club level? Sure Messi narrowly edges Cristiano to being the GOAT. Club and country, Maradona and Pele sh*t on both from a great height.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

If CR7 is essentially being penalized for being in a great squad, surely Messi must be penalized as well for being in a Barca squad that featured the majority of the most dominant international team ever no? I mean fair is fair. If anything Messi is the more fortunate one being in his prime with that group while CR7 was already in decline but still the unquestionable talisman for this group. Also why does Messi get credit for bringing a better Argentina squad to 3 finals(2 of which are in the Copa America which is an easier tournament to win than the Euro) but no stick whatsoever for not scoring in any of them and in fact missing a decisive penalty to keep his country from winning? How does that work? I mean at least let's be fair in our appraisals.

Everyone moans about Messi not having help but nobody can explain why he doesn't score for country in these big finals that by the way are low scoring or scoreless in spite of the assertion that the defense behind him is poverty. The guy is a bottler at the international level in finals which should take you out of the GOAT discussion immediately. Club level? Sure Messi narrowly edges Cristiano to being the GOAT. Club and country, Maradona and Pele sh*t on both from a great height.
Who’s penalising him?

I feel like it’s always the side who know they’re wrong deep down in their hearts that seek to misread posts and refute arguments that were never made. :p

I compared them as players which is why I ignored their teams various successes. Nobody is penalising Ronaldo, if anything I said Madrid’s success will ensure Ronaldo a better legacy than Messi.

How has such a simple post been completely misunderstood!?

Top Bottom