• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Messi vs. Ronaldo

Who is the superior footballer?

• Total voters

BobP

Memri Fan
#StandwithDokaka

Honestly, I have no idea how this is even up for debate.

Messi isn't simply the best of his generation, he will go on to be counted as one of the greatest of all time.

People have short memories, simply backing Ronaldo because Madrid have been more successful than Barcelona in recent years, conveniently forgetting what Messi did in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

Allegri said of Ronaldo: "He looks like he is napping all game and then he pops up and scores two goals".

Basically sums him up as a player, especially in recent years.

They'll have to invent a new role for him on FM, they've got the wide target man, the raumdeuter, need the wide poacher now.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
#StandwithDokaka

Honestly, I have no idea how this is even up for debate.

Messi isn't simply the best of his generation, he will go on to be counted as one of the greatest of all time.

People have short memories, simply backing Ronaldo because Madrid have been more successful than Barcelona in recent years, conveniently forgetting what Messi did in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

Allegri said of Ronaldo: "He looks like he is napping all game and then he pops up and scores two goals".

Basically sums him up as a player, especially in recent years.

They'll have to invent a new role for him on FM, they've got the wide target man, the raumdeuter, need the wide poacher now.

"Ideal for lazy ****ers with good finishing in the box. The wide poacher will look to shoot on sight and ignore any resemblance of team play, simply opting for the nuclear option every time.

The Wide Poacher can only use the "**** defending" mentality."

BobP

Memri Fan
"Ideal for lazy ****ers with good finishing in the box. The wide poacher will look to shoot on sight and ignore any resemblance of team play, simply opting for the nuclear option every time.

:lol::lol::lol:

TakeChillPill

Established Member

Basically Ronaldo is just a superior Theo Walcott

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Where is this coming from? I'm genuinely asking. He had a better season this year than he did in 13/14.

3940ff696f.png

I really don't know what this "decline" stuff is based on. He's literally better in every conceivable way :lol:
When I've watched him he hasn't been as good. He is doing things that I haven't seen Messi do and that is look human.

Perception is in the eye of the beholder. Messi not being as good is still light years ahead of nearly everyone else mind.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Ronaldo was in better form in last 2 years,but that has nothing to do with real quality between those two.They reached their full potential and talent long time ago and now it's just about records,goals and motivation.I can't say that players improve themselves so much in late 20's.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
God knows what he could have been had we not sustained those devastating knee injuries, basically wiped out 3 seasons at his peak, and hampered his physical mobility for the rest of his career.

It's a testament to his exceptional talent that he was able to come back and reassert himself despite the obvious restrictions.
He had thyroid issues as well that caused problems with his weight.

He wasn't the best professional around though and sort of made it worse for himself.

BobP

Memri Fan
He had thyroid issues as well that caused problems with his weight.

He wasn't the best professional around though and sort of made it worse for himself.

Makes him all the more endearing.

There's just something about the precociously talented footballers who never maximise their potential.

Ronaldinho is an example of that.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Makes him all the more endearing.

There's just something about the precociously talented footballers who never maximise their potential.

Ronaldinho is an example of that.
True, you can barely imagine what he'd be like without his set backs. Just unbelievable what he was capable of. Most players and managers who have done plenty as well as coach the finest including Zidane say he was the best. Even heartless Mourinho.

Ronaldinho should have done more for sure and shouldn't have let his career go down like that. He was just literally magical at his peak. I'll never believe anyone who says they don't adore Ronaldinho.

I've always wondered what it would be like if RVP wasn't struck by constant injuries. They never slowed down his development or his performances when available. Maybe some speed and acceleration he had earlier. Big under achievement on talent imo.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Regarding Ronaldinho, I think he's the most gifted footballer I've ever seen. Messi's got his low center of gravity which does wonders for him, Ronaldo's workrate off the pitch has built him into a physical monster with longevity.

Ronaldinho was just technically brilliant, easily the GOAT in that aspect. For all the disagreements in this thread, I think we can all agree that neither Messi or Ronaldo comes close to Ronaldinho in terms of being entertaining to watch. The amount of stuff Ronaldinho did on the pitch on a regular basis that would be a highlight of the season kind of thing in today's game was unreal.

I think if you gave me the option of having Messi, Ronaldo or Ronaldinho in their primes on my team, I'd go Ronaldinho. I'd take not winning all the time just to watch him play on a regular basis.

Last edited:

BobP

Memri Fan
Regarding Ronaldinho, I think he's the most gifted footballer I've ever seen. Messi's got his low center of gravity which does wonders for him, Ronaldo's workrate off the pitch has built him into a physical monster with longevity.

Ronaldinho was just technically brilliant, easily in GOAT in that aspect. For all the disagreements in this thread, I think we can all agree that neither Messi or Ronaldo comes close to Ronaldinho in terms of being entertaining to watch. The amount of stuff Ronaldinho did on the pitch on a regular basis that would be a highlight of the season kind of thing in today's game was unreal.

I think if you gave me the option of having Messi, Ronaldo or Ronaldinho in their primes on my team, I'd go Ronaldinho. I'd take not winning all the time just to watch him play on a regular basis.

Football was literally a game to him, some of the things he did were otherworldly.

Like that goal against Chelsea, who the **** does that? Chelsea thought all was good, he was surrounded, then a toe poke with minimum back lift.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Football was literally a game to him, some of the things he did were otherworldly.

Like that goal against Chelsea, who the **** does that? Chelsea thought all was good, he was surrounded, then a toe poke with minimum back lift.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

One of the reason's I liked Payet so much is the way he brought back memories of Ronaldinho with his playstyle. You rarely see this kind of outrageous flair anymore. Give me this over Messi/Ronaldo any day, even though they're more effective footballers.

That stepover nutmeg into a no-look pass ffs :lol:

Kobi

I Know Who You Are

This is what makes R9 the best player I have ever seen, at his best he was a combination of Ronaldinho's skill, dribbling and agility with camp Ronaldo's pace, power and strength.
He literally had no weakness (maybe if you're being picky his finishing was a little inconsistant) he also had Messi, Ronaldo numbers at 18/19 playing in much worse teams against much better defences.

With two busted knees and a weight problem he was still the best footballer in the world, I honestly think we were robbed of witnessing something, as amazing as Messi and Ronaldo are, on another level.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

I agree with that, and for some reason I always have a "adverse" gut feeling when I think of Messi and Ronaldo as the best of all time. There's just something that isnt't right. They're phenomenal players, they rack goal scoring recods like it's nothing, but still something taints that for me. Messi has had the fortune of being a part of maybe the best footballing side, if only even talent wise, wincluding Iniesta, Xavi, Villa, etc. And you can actually see that he doesn't work that great in a non-Barcelona environment like the Argentine team. People may say he dragged them to the final in the last WC, but I don't really see that. Ronaldo is a beast, but has become very one dimensional. For these reasons, I don't see them going into any side and having instant success, turning a team around or inspiring a WC win or something - Messi thrives at Barca, Ronaldo is the focal point of Real, but I feel like something is still missing.

Going by the last years and titles, Ronaldo has definitely surpassed Messi and I think that he will be remembered as the greater player. In 2016, he got the international title Messi doesn't have (and probabaly never will have), he's been the spear- and figurehead of the first team ever to defend the CL title...and these are the things that will stick in people's minds.

Still, I can't decide on who's better. They have such different qualities, which are both appealing at different times, both players can do astonishing things, even if in different ways. But regarding best player ever, I just don't feel it, especially cause someone like Ronaldinho has been around.

Of course you thing because I'm Arsenal fan that I should have wanted Henry to win the award but it really doesn't. I respect the award to much.

Even if it was wrong in that case which I have no idea off because I didn't follow football that much back then, only watched Arsenal and that's it.

It hasn't been wrong in last decade or so. Ronaldo and Messi have been the two best football players on the planet and shared the Ballon with them and it has chose the right player every year and even Messi fan boy can't argue against that.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom