Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Eaststander74

Eaststander74 Jury Lite II

Yeah, nothing wrong with that imo. Would like to see him strike a ball or put that much into his delivery though. Tiny criticism.

2. UpTheGunnerz

UpTheGunnerz No Longer Phallus Obsessed

Part of the problem, not the solution

Camron, Jarv, HaffBR and 3 others like this.
  3. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

He's the natural successor, but still a season or two away.

Martinelli was ok. others were better than him. Torreira for one.

4. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

He lacks a competitive edge these days - the ability is all there but he cant seem to use it to an optimal level anymore.

5. Bittersteel

Bittersteel New Member

Sell the fool. The club pays him a lot more than his worth and now he wants to destroy our Chinese interests.

China won't care how much we grovel and distance ourselves from Özil. As long as he is a player of this club, they will belive Özil's views are Arsenals views. Selling him is the only way to build ties with China again.

Özil knew how china would react everyone in the sports world knows considering how China reacted to the Housten Rockets and he still made his pointless political gesture that won't solve anything.

shootxhakashoot and Kevin Keegan like this.
  6. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

Problem to rate Özil is that people think he is a midfield while he is a forward. He was OK as a forward, below average maybe, lack of hungry... as a midfielder nonexistent tho.

krackpot likes this.
  7. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

it's confounding really.

he's not declined a lot physically, but mentally he's not that sharp.

8. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

He just cant compete anymore. That's a big problem for us.

say yes, krackpot and dbig like this.
  9. RacingPhoton

RacingPhoton Well-Known Member

Had a pathetic game.
    He was actually jeered off like Xhaka. But he at least had the common sense to handle it.

Eaststander74 likes this.
  10. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

You don't want to dispute possession with City, right? The correct game was a counterattack with Martinelli and Pepe helping in the defense, pressure in the midfield and counterattack for the sides.

Arsenal has no defense and midfield quality on the ball to play the game City played, let alone the standards/scripted moves for it, that would need new players and time. You could try playing this game at other opportunities, though... against lesser opponents.

11. Ash10

Ash10 Jury Lite

He's mentally done with football it seems. That fiasco relating to Erdogan started his shift of focus & now he keeps on doing these political crap rather rather focusing on the pitch.

Why and Jarv like this.
  12. Gooner_girl14

Gooner_girl14 Well-Known Member

Think it's just a matter of motivation more than anything. We shot ourselves in the foot by giving him that contract, unfortunately. Then he was left out a lot and has missed quite a bit of football really...might also explain the lack of sharpness. But TBH I'm not sure what anyone was expecting Özil or any of our players to do vs City. Xhaka-Torreira atm is undoubtedly our best midfield pairing and when I learned Xhaka was injured I knew we'd leak goals like anything. And it's no surprise that we were easily overran by City.

krackpot likes this.
  13. Gooner_girl14

Yes I agree that counter attack was our best chance. But we have a bit of an injury crisis ATM on top of being in our worst form in decades...then we conceded immediately and lost another fullback. TBH I'm not sure what more Freddie could have done.

14. GunnerShy

GunnerShy Well-Known Member

Won't have to read about Özil to China anymore. He's not lost his ability, but simply doesn't do enough without the ball. Old adage fortune favours the brave.

I believe luck favours those that work hard. Chasing down 50/50 balls, running hard forwards and backwards. You couldn't say he's due any good luck.

15. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

No he wasn’t? They literally panned the camera to the crowd and fans were clapping.

Gooner_girl14 likes this.
  16. What can you say other than this charlaton has stolen a living the last few years. Plus, his attitude stinks, gives up and washed up.

dbig and shootxhakashoot like this.
  17. HaffBR

HaffBR Active Member

Someone like Maddison would be better offensively and much better defensively than Özil, at least he would be a real attacking midfielder.

shootxhakashoot likes this.
  18. RacingPhoton

RacingPhoton Well-Known Member

That was probably an ironic clap. I was in the stadium. Pretty much the same thing. He was jeered. He was walking out slowly and a section booed.

19. Gooner_girl14

Didn't seem that way on TV, so maybe it wasn't a huge number of fans. Commentators also described fan reaction to his sub as getting a "friendly hand", or something to that effect. I imagine he wasn't booed as much as Xhaka because everyone knew we weren't catching City lol.

RacingPhoton likes this.
  20. Eaststander74

Eaststander74 Jury Lite II

GeorgiaGunner likes this.