• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He's role is to assist,
What kind of silly point is that? Have you forgotten how Wenger always complained that Özil needed to add goals to his game.

Now it's his "role is to assist". FFS! Come on! He is an attacking player. Of course he is supposed to score! Everything else is just nonsense. He hardly get assists. 3 in God knows how long and then his role is to "circulate" the ball. Don't you yourself see how laughable this pattern of arguing is? He should have shot and he should have scored yesterday. No doubt about it!

RUS arsenal

Established Member
Why the heck were so many people having a go & laughing at Özil after the game for not shooting before Laca? He's role is to assist, Laca's role is to score as a striker don't forget. Some people I saw also thought if he did shoot he probably would have lost the time & space. He played his role like Laca to get us our winner in a tough match. A win is a win, we should take any win at all costs at this stage.
His role is to make the best play to insure the ball is in the back of the net. In this game he made the correct higher percentage play as Laca was in a better position to score. However, in the past couple of years he is increasingly guilty of passing up shooting opportunities or not making himself available for a pass in a scoring position. In his prime he was a lot more active.

For example, there was an instance in this game where he made a nice play near the halfway line to start a counter then passed the ball forward to Pepe. Pepe proceeded to run at his man and there was definitely space for Özil to run into to get behind the defense but he just kind of stopped and slowly jogged forward instead of sprinting into the opening. In his prime he'd be all over that which is one of the reasons for his decline in production imo.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Why the heck were so many people having a go & laughing at Özil after the game for not shooting before Laca? He's role is to assist, Laca's role is to score as a striker don't forget. Some people I saw also thought if he did shoot he probably would have lost the time & space. He played his role like Laca to get us our winner in a tough match. A win is a win, we should take any win at all costs at this stage.

Bored of these excuses.

His role is to assist? A teenage makeshift left back has 3 times as many assists in his debut season.

In 5 games Bruno Fernandes has beaten Özil’s numbers for goals and assists this season, while also creating from deep. What’s his role?

That goal against West Ham doesn’t happen if Aubameyang doesn’t have an attempted shot (yes shot, not pass) loop into the air and deflect kindly into Özil’s path.

He’d get a lot more assists and goals if he wasn’t so scared of shooting or making more driving runs. £350k a week with balls of a flea and people still defend him.

We don’t deserve CL football with this sort of mindset.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Bored of these excuses.

His role is to assist? A teenage makeshift left back has 3 times as many assists in his debut season.

In 5 games Bruno Fernandes has beaten Özil’s numbers for goals and assists this season, while also creating from deep. What’s his role?

That goal against West Ham doesn’t happen if Aubameyang doesn’t have an attempted shot (yes shot, not pass) loop into the air and deflect kindly into Özil’s path.

He’d get a lot more assists and goals if he wasn’t so scared of shooting or making more driving runs. £350k a week with balls of a flea and people still defend him.

We don’t deserve CL football with this sort of mindset.
They’re a special, dwindling bunch. ‘Tis a delight to witness. I want them given a protected status at this point. You don’t know what you have until it’s gone :(

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Very good point. Many goals are created because someone just has a go at shooting and you get a deflection opening things up. They aren’t the most pretty ones but sure count the same. Well, at least this time Özil was in the box and helped score a goal with an assist. Sure not an every game experience these days.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
ESrsQ5qWAAQip6P

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Wah gwaan?
Not a lot. Exams in a few weeks, got work to cover up but been stuffing myself with LSD, other drugs along with hardcore working out and meditating in hopes of advanced neuroplasticity to be able to decide on whether to do the pending work or pray for Corona to spread a little bit so Uni and work gets locked down.

Bit like Özil in dilemma with the ball in front of goal and a temptation to pass sideways or back.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Not a lot. Exams in a few weeks, got work to cover up but been stuffing myself with LSD, other drugs along with hardcore working out and meditating in hopes of advanced neuroplasticity to be able to decide on whether to do the pending work or pray for Corona to spread a little bit so Uni and work gets locked down.

Bit like Özil in dilemma with the ball in front of goal and a temptation to pass sideways or back.
:lol:

musoke

Always rated him. I find him just as frustrating Auba tbh. Both are far from perfect. Giroud didnt score enough. Auba cant really do team play which for a team like Arsenal is weird. Granted the more effective player is Auba but I just preferred our style of play with Giroud.
One of the reasons I reckon Arteta doesnt play Auba is due to his all round game being sub par
We are on the same closed off island when it comes to Giroud.
I have always rated him, he had many limitations but the way people scapegoated him for all our problems was a bit funny to me.
Not the best striker ever but I liked is overall play.. We scored some of the best goals with him at the focal point.

I like Laca and Auba but I have yet to see many goals they were involved in where it got me off my seat..

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Problem with Giroud was that he came here to replace RvP which was mission impossible from day one. High expectations for a limited player brought a lot of unjustified criticism. If we treated him for what he was, which was a cheapish 15m player, everything would be fine.
With Özil, somehow similar story. An expensive player who was lucky to start his first few seasons with some brilliant players around him who were able to make him better than he was. As soon as we started to lose key players like Sanchez and Cazorla, everything fell apart for him and we've were able to see a more realistic version of him.
Again, the fans had unrealistic expectations from an extremely inconsistent luxury player and all that accumulated hate is mostly our own fault.
Similar comparisons could be drawn around Xhaka, so much hate only because we couldn't accept the fact that we downgraded by 3 levels from Cazorla.

Most of these problems come from Wenger who just wouldn't admit he was wrong with all/most of these transfers, praising players like Xhaka when he didn't cost us game, praising Giroud because he would work hard and the fans accepted his game because the boss couldn't be wrong.
All of them were clear downgrades to Fabregas, RvP, Sanchez and Cazorla but I guess the business still needs to sell shirts and fill the stadium so that's why he was trying to present them like some superstars.
Next time, I would be happier if the manager comes to press and say we have OK players but we need better ones for bigger things, not making fools of us with their crap.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Am so over Özil. He was a critical signing for us. Let's not forget that we were in a serious trophy drought and our club was losing it's position as a club that makes big signings. Özil was HUGE. Everything is past tense now though and we need to replace him. The trade off that you get from Özil is no longer worth it and I have been one of his biggest fans up until about 6 months ago.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Problem with Giroud was that he came here to replace RvP which was mission impossible from day one. High expectations for a limited player brought a lot of unjustified criticism. If we treated him for what he was, which was a cheapish 15m player, everything would be fine.
With Özil, somehow similar story. An expensive player who was lucky to start his first few seasons with some brilliant players around him who were able to make him better than he was. As soon as we started to lose key players like Sanchez and Cazorla, everything fell apart for him and we've were able to see a more realistic version of him.
Again, the fans had unrealistic expectations from an extremely inconsistent luxury player and all that accumulated hate is mostly our own fault.
Similar comparisons could be drawn around Xhaka, so much hate only because we couldn't accept the fact that we downgraded by 3 levels from Cazorla.

Most of these problems come from Wenger who just wouldn't admit he was wrong with all/most of these transfers, praising players like Xhaka when he didn't cost us game, praising Giroud because he would work hard and the fans accepted his game because the boss couldn't be wrong.
All of them were clear downgrades to Fabregas, RvP, Sanchez and Cazorla but I guess the business still needs to sell shirts and fill the stadium so that's why he was trying to present them like some superstars.
Next time, I would be happier if the manager comes to press and say we have OK players but we need better ones for bigger things, not making fools of us with their crap.
What kind of nonsense is this lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom