• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We've seen Özil in training videos though, so it isn't as if he isn't training. Are you giving credence to the malicious rumous being spread about him?

Nope.

I’m giving credence to decisions made by the club’s staff past and present who work with him every day.

Özil himself shared details of an incident at Madrid when Mourinho called him a coward who thought, and I quote: “you think two beautiful passes are enough. You think you’re so good that 50% is enough”.

Just because there are pictures of him in training or he makes it onto a football pitch doesn’t mean he’s operating at the level required by his bosses.

This could of-course be all an anti Özil conspiracy theory.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
All those rumors are bullshit... created to push him away and release the fault from staff... board freezing him out until he gets desperate and quits.

I think the board repented about giving him 350K so they started to push him out.

yorch44

How people do not still understand it was Per Mertesacker who talked about him not being fit. That is a very credible source as quotes.
But he didn’t talk about bribery... anyway Per is related to Arsenal board so he could say whatever they want him to say if he is looking for some kind of future job in Arsenal FC. We don’t know the full story.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

All those rumors are bullshit... created to push him away and release the fault from staff... board freezing him out until he gets desperate and quits.

I think the board repented about giving him 350K so they started to push him out.

It's not a rumour when Per Mertesacker gets quoted and he does not correct it afterwards. Media can be corrected.

Rumours can be bullshit, quotes can not when they mention a real person.

Do you mean Mertesacker is in this conspiracy against his good friend?

GoonerBoy19

He is not a Emery type of player, and he will never be. 2 passes in a game is enough if it gives you a result, Torreira at no 10 can give you 200% work rate but can't give you that decisive pass which will win you the game. It's all about the manager and how he wants to play.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
How people do not still understand it was Per Mertesacker who talked about him not being fit. That is a very credible source as quotes.
Nope.

I’m giving credence to decisions made by the club’s staff past and present who work with him every day.

Özil himself shared details of an incident at Madrid when Mourinho called him a coward who thought, and I quote: “you think two beautiful passes are enough. You think you’re so good that 50% is enough”.

Just because there are pictures of him in training or he makes it onto a football pitch doesn’t mean he’s operating at the level required by his bosses.

This could of-course be all an anti Özil conspiracy theory.
Then play him for half a match and sub him off. Dropping him is no way to motivate him. Lets see his how unfit he is on the pitch, instead of hearing all this chatter about him.

yorch44

It's not a rumour when Per Mertesacker gets quoted and he does not correct it afterwards. Media can be corrected.

Rumours can be bullshit, quotes can not when they mention a real person.

Do you mean Mertesacker is in this conspiracy against his good friend?
Oh my friend... you don’t know what people can do for a job or personal interests. By personal experience I can tell you (one 10 years friendship betrayed me so he could get the whole architecture firm for only himself) ... people can do a lot of thing when they are looking for themselves.

Per is only one side of the moon... even if he says something, we don’t know if this it’s absolutely truth.

drippin

Then play him for half a match and sub him off. Dropping him is no way to motivate him. Lets see his how unfit he is on the pitch, instead of hearing all this chatter about him.

I understand, but the point is (which I understand) that a head coach must show that he rewards good training performances.

Also Özil has not been as good as a season or two ago.

Still this is mostly speculation, but not only rumours as many seem to insist (Mertesacker quotes).

yorch44

Exactly... every manager recover his players giving them minutes... maybe 15... then 20... then 30.... I don’t think he could not even play 15 minutes so he starts to recover form

Kingofthebongo

What to believe is the obvious story that's staring everyone in the face. Özil is fit in the sense that he's not carrying an injury but he's not fit enough to meet the managers demands physically and he's not motivated enough to try to reach that level of fitness in training. Due to the fact that he's our hugest earner and biggest "star" Emery is walking a tight rope and being diplomatic in basically dancing around the issue without outright stating the above and cutting the player out totally. He made him a captain basically as an olive branch to show him that he can still be part of the team if he wants to put in the work, and he knows that Özil even if completely frozen out will probably happily sit on the bench draining wages instead of agitating for a move.

This is the the most clear explanation I've read.

There is really nothing to be confused about, it is super clear. People need to stop being so unassuming. The club is backing Emery's decision to practically freeze him out, and play him whenever it is convenient in games he wants. Aside from that, barring a managerial change - his arsenal career is finished. Done.
The sooner people come to terms with this, the better.

You can think Emery is a coward all you want, and I really won't argue with you too much about it. Could be the case, I'm not fully sold on that narrative though. I think the club is going a different direction and they see him as not part of thay strategy.

Just for the love of Bergkamp, stop the confused act every game he doesn't play, or will play. He is not in his plans.

drippin

This is the the most clear explanation I've read.

There is really nothing to be confused about, it is super clear. People need to stop being so unassuming. The club is backing Emery's decision to practically freeze him out, and play him whenever it is convenient in games he wants. Aside from that, barring a managerial change - his arsenal career is finished. Done.
The sooner people come to terms with this, the better.

You can think Emery is a coward all you want, and I really won't argue with you too much about it. Could be the case, I'm not fully sold on that narrative though. I think the club is going a different direction and they see him as not part of thay strategy.

Just for the love of Bergkamp, stop the confused act every game he doesn't play, or will play. He is not in his plans.

Or we can cry about it non-stop, how about that. :D

It's a bit funny that people think he is a coward when he is benching or totally not using the biggest earner and a fan favourite. Very logical.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I would argue otherwise. If Özil can get 15 plus assist like 3 seasons ago form, then yes.
But he barely makes himself available to get on the ball. He is like Michael Owen at the ens of his career...just shying away from areas where the ball would come to him.

Özil can't dribble and gets knocked off the ball far too often at thia stage of his career. His last faith of confidence was the Europa League final and he failed to deliver. Really when Ramsey went down end of last season, Özil was brought back into the team. We were in a nice position to claim top 4 too...like the rest of the team, he crippled too.

Can't carry a passenger anymore.

Saka and Martinelli deserve more chances. Heck even, Emile Smith Rowe once he is fit. Time for the exciting next generation.

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It pains me that we still have people here who care more about Özil than arsenal. This Hero worship/fanboyism has to stop.

I'm Emery's number one hater here. I hate his tactics. But on this Özil issue, I think he's spot on.

We can't have a mega super star half assing on our team. We need to get rid of this 350kpw milestone around our neck.

One of his closest friend mertesacker came out few weeks ago and said that Özil wasn't putting much effort into training, we still have AM expert on Here calling him a liar. It boggles the mind.

Sorry for not wanting a player in our team who ghosts in and out of games and end up playing one or two nice passes in a game and people call him world class. The last time he was world class was 2 years ago and that's even generous.

I think it's mostly the Emery out brigade that's using the Özil issue as a stick to beat Emery.

The manager should play his team according to their effort in training, not according to what some Özil fanboys on AM would prefer

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Lol narrative has turned again, now its effort in training.

Enjoy your hard working blind runner Torreira as attacking midfielder, you guys deserve Emery’s negative football.
You’ve always got Ajax, you fraud. Come back when Ten Hag gets the job, eh? Tala. Gooners only, please. :drool:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You’ve always got Ajax, you fraud. Come back when Ten Hag gets the job, eh? Tala. Gooners only, please. :drool:
Watching Ajax makes it worse. I see how they play every week and please believe we can do it too. Defensively solid through attacking football and control. We score a goal and hold on for dear life hoping to fluke it ffs.

Re the rest of your bullshit not sure what you want there from me.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The crazy thing about this standoff between Özil and Emery is that Emery wants to push Özil to meet the fitness demands of his style of football, but Emery's style is awful.

Özil while being in awful shape will still create more chances than Emery's system.

Emery isn't the only coach with massive fitness demands, but coaches like Klopp and Simeone clearly show how elite fitness makes their systems work. Emery wants everyone to be in great shape so that we don't get tired while other teams dominate possession.

I'm not saying that Özil is in the right here, but I do wonder if when Emery benched Özil last season if Özil had met Emery's fitness demands.

Right now it looks like Özil gets benched regardless of his fitness levels or how he performs in matches.

Emery is a coach who hates possessing the ball, and Özil is a player who only excels with the ball. They are oil and water.

Also, Emery's football philosophy is increasingly looking like the antithesis of the Wenger style of play that revolutionized our club, made a lot of the people on this forum fans, and has been used to educate our youth teams.

Right now we're just hoping that Emery gets us into the top four and we used to complain that Wenger only got us into the top four. Emery is an obvious regression. Regardless of whether Özil or Emery are right in this situation, Emery looks like a bad fit for Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom