• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Divided_Pie

I didn't say he has been crap either. In my view Willock and Ceballos have put out similar performances as Özil. Ceballos **** against Liverpool, but was it Burnley match MotM that evens it out.
Willock has struggled at #10. Sure, you can take a snapshot (such as in the last EL match) where he played well, but in terms of consistency and long-term fit he's definitely a more natural B2B than a #10. Ceballos as well has struggled at times, as you mention - he tends to need multiple touches to get the ball in a position where he can make a pass - he doesn't have the vision/anticipation/touch/decisiveness that Özil has and so the brief windows and tight spaces that Özil finds are gone by the time Ceballos plays a ball.

Regardless, main point is that if you take the best moments of Willock and Ceballos, sure, they have looked good at AM. Taken as a whole, and considering level of competition, they haven't been as good or consistent as Özil (albeit in only two matches).

I feel like critics take a player like Willock's best moments, compare them to Özil's worst, and use that to argue that he's an upgrade, when he really isn't at this point and long-term will be playing much deeper. Neither Ceballos nor Willock have demonstrated that they can consistently dictate play in and near the final 3rd.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Willock has struggled at #10. Sure, you can take a snapshot (such as in the last EL match) where he played well, but in terms of consistency and long-term fit he's definitely a more natural B2B than a #10. Ceballos as well has struggled at times, as you mention - he tends to need multiple touches to get the ball in a position where he can make a pass - he doesn't have the vision/anticipation/touch/decisiveness that Özil has and so the brief windows and tight spaces that Özil finds are gone by the time Ceballos plays a ball.

Regardless, main point is that if you take the best moments of Willock and Ceballos, sure, they have looked good at AM. Taken as a whole, and considering level of competition, they haven't been as good or consistent as Özil (albeit in only two matches).

I feel like critics take a player like Willock's best moments, compare them to Özil's worst, and use that to argue that he's an upgrade, when he really isn't at this point and long-term will be playing much deeper. Neither Ceballos nor Willock have demonstrated that they can consistently dictate play in and near the final 3rd.
What's your point? None of the 3 players you are mentioning can't demonstrate any consistency in that position. Ceballos and Willock couldn't do it in +-5 games and Özil couldn't do it for years with us. Are you telling us we need to buy or do you see someone else there?
I think ESR will be a long term solution for this position, but only if he stops getting injured all the time.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I'm not saying any of those have been very good. I'm just saying all those players have been pretty equal in output this season. Özil had no tackles or interceptions or defensive stats in his only EPL game according to WhoScored, unlike Willock & Ceballos in their games.

And explaining reasons why Emery might think it's better to have those players on the bench or starting at this point in time.

This will likely change, it's been 2 months after the knife attack. So I'm more positive about Özil's state after Emery's and Özil's comments. Still very hopeful he can raise his level back to where it belongs. And do that defensive work at good level which is required from a #10 in current times.

Token Yank

I'm not saying any of those have been very good. I'm just saying all those players have been pretty equal in output this season. Özil had no tackles or interceptions or defensive stats in his only EPL game according to WhoScored, unlike Willock & Ceballos in their games.

And explaining reasons why Emery might think it's better to have those players on the bench or starting at this point in time.

This will likely change, it's been 2 months after the knife attack. So I'm more positive about Özil's state after Emery's and Özil's comments. Still very hopeful he can raise his level back to where it belongs. And do that defensive work at good level which is required from a #10 in current times.

I like Willock and Ceballos but they are no where near the creative output as Özil. Also, who really cares about tackles and interceptions of a player that will create a ton of scoring chances and on his worst day at least let’s us control the tempo against weaker teams (both things we struggle with right now). We play a lineup with 3 DMs and still leak goals. It’s not like we are defensively sound with Özil out of the lineup. We have the same crap defense and set up but without much of a threat going forward because we can’t control the game or create chances.

Also, that same EPL game saw us leading 2-0 with Özil on the pitch. The second goal he had a great hockey assist.

It’s been over a year and we still struggle with two of Emery’s main playing philosophies (high press, and playing out from the back). Özil has been sacrificed for these philosophies that Emery still can’t get right. Next it will be Pepe, as he is dogged by fans and media because he is asked to dribble by 3 players all game totally isolated.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I like Willock and Ceballos but they are no where near the creative output as Özil. Also, who really cares about tackles and interceptions of a player that will create a ton of scoring chances and on his worst day at least let’s us control the tempo against weaker teams (both things we struggle with right now). We play a lineup with 3 DMs and still leak goals. It’s not like we are defensively sound with Özil out of the lineup. We have the same crap defense and set up but without much of a threat going forward because we can’t control the game or create chances.

Also, that same EPL game saw us leading 2-0 with Özil on the pitch. The second goal he had a great hockey assist.

It’s been over a year and we still struggle with two of Emery’s main playing philosophies (high press, and playing out from the back). Özil has been sacrificed for these philosophies that Emery still can’t get right. Next it will be Pepe, as he is dogged by fans and media because he is asked to dribble by 3 players all game totally isolated.

This is a myth. This isn't Özil when got us 19 assists. He simply is declining as a football player. Father time caught up to him sooner than others.

For every unique pass Özil does now, there are 10 El Nenny passes and another 10 Invisible man.

This simply means he is not positioning himself in areas to be a danger. Just like how Michael Owen finished his career.

Token Yank

This is a myth. This isn't Özil when got us 19 assists. He simply is declining as a football player. Father time caught up to him sooner than others.

For every unique pass Özil does now, there are 10 El Nenny passes and another 10 Invisible man.

This simply means he is not positioning himself in areas to be a danger. Just like how Michael Owen finished his career.
Lazy argument.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

I can see that to an extent. Özil started off pretty young.

He prob just peaked early like Fabregas, Rooney and Owen.

Players who exploded unto the scene, but by 29/30 already looked like shells of what they were.

Messi and Ronaldo are freaks. Exceptions and not the rule.

Another thing you notice is that players that broke into first team football so young are usually very injury prone later on.

Özil is actually one of those that didn't suffer major injuries of those wonderkids.

Kav

Established Member

Apple's and oranges.

You're comparing Özil and the others while highlighting defensive stats like tackles and interceptions. You do know he's a playmaker and the above mentioned metrics do not form the core of his game.

That's like for example saying willock sucks because he's doesnt create the same amount of assist or chances in 5 games when compared to Özil. It's not a fair comparison to make either way.

Lastly I don't think he will do the defensive work and change his game. The type of players you are referring to aren't true #10's anyway.

Last edited:

fc honka

Nice compilation with the relaxed music, thank you.
Especially the first part music suits really well to Özils style.
Ronaldos rate of finishing those passes is the reason why Cristiano is called the best ever. Incredible percentage.
Others did not do so well....

Last edited:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Apple's and oranges.

You're comparing Özil and the others while highlighting defensive stats like tackles and interceptions. You do know he's a playmaker and the above mentioned metrics do not form the core of his game.

That's like for example saying willock sucks because he's doesnt create the same amount of assist or chances in 5 games when compared to Özil. It's not a fair comparison to make either way.

Lastly I don't think he will do the defensive work and change his game. The type of players you are referring to aren't true #10's anyway.

What is going on here again with you and Token Yank. :lol:

I showed that there is a reason why I evaluate Willock & Ceballos performances this season as quite similar level to Özil. By defensive stats I showed that attacking threat is not the only thing to look at when evaluating.

There is not a big difference in EPL offensive performances in between these players. Defensively there is some. What is so hard to understand about it?

And someone can tell me another site to look at stats if they know some. This is not the only metric why I evaluate it like that, I have watched every game.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13756/Show/Mesut-Özil

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/144890/Show/Dani-Ceballos

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/342563/Show/Joe-Willock

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
it would be a very bad example to bring a player who is below whatever bench mark you've set. How do the other players respond to that? It's okay for Mesut then its okay for us.

This right is ultimately what cost Wenger his job. He did it to an extent with Fab (partly due to injuries), but with some later years it hit rock bottom, systematically.

Can't have that in the current PL environment. Influx of new breed of managers (esp. foreign) and obviously more evenly distributed income has made 90% of league games competitive.

Steps

Özil is one of the best players in the history of this club and world football, full stop. Haters can taste my waste.

Loved his responses to Ornstein. Never a doubt in my mind about his work ethic or training habits. He's faced an overwhelming amount of personal and professional struggles these past years and is always looking with eyes forward. I am proud to have him as part of our club and I hope we see him for many more years, and then as a part of the organization as a coach/leader after that, whether with the first team or within the Academy.

Had it with this negativity. Guy has given everything he can to this club, and all he gets are pundits running his name into the ground, making up stories to get headlines. The whole lot of them should be ashamed. Barely two months ago he and Kola were attacked in broad daylight alongside their wives and all people can come up with is, "Well, he is lazy and obviously any problems in matches are his fault, not those around him." **** outta here with that nonsense.

scytheavatar

Established Member
No he hasn’t, he’s been good and at times excellent.

He is not fit to lick Cesc's boots, that is for sure. I will remember Özil as being a Nasri tier player at best, he has his value but I will never put him as a top 10 player in the Wenger era. So why the heck Arsenal fans pretend he is some legend, I will never understand. He was outstanding in 2015/16, but beyond that he's been so so and absolutely useless when we need him the most.

Jae

He is not fit to lick Cesc's boots, that is for sure. I will remember Özil as being a Nasri tier player at best, he has his value but I will never put him as a top 10 player in the Wenger era. So why the heck Arsenal fans pretend he is some legend, I will never understand. He was outstanding in 2015/16, but beyond that he's been so so and absolutely useless when we need him the most.

I think in terms of talent and ability he's top 10 easily, but there are players with much less quality who have been bigger and better players for Arsenal throughout the years and therein lies the problem with Özil.

His quality has never been in doubt in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom