• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You sure you watched the game today? Criticisms I leveled against him today: (A)Head dropped and lack of effort when things weren't going for him, (B) poor first touch and many misplaced passes.

A) Whose play was braver in trying to make things happen and who wasn't effected by their mistakes? The 19 y/o playing in his first PL game after coming from League 2 in France or the 350k p/w paid face of the the club in his 5th season in England? Again we've seen this with Özil time and time again pretty much in every big game we have that when you need someone to drag you through he isn't the guy and I honestly don't believe we'll get anywhere with our star player having this mentality/limitation and it's ****ing frustrating.

B) A-Mers love stats to circle jerk over in this thread but for some reason the 19 give aways isn't getting much traction...

Again this man is the face of the club, the second highest paid player in the ****ing league, but it seems most are numb to this level performance/influence vs a top team and it's sad and IMO it just isn't acceptable. Sorry but you can't have it both ways as if you're paid/paraded around like you're the main man there is extra pressure to perform and when you don't you have to accept the heat.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this/Özil though, I want more out of him and hold him to a standard of performance his wages/reputation/ability represents, but some are fine with whatever he serves up. Don't worry though, he'll turn up vs West Ham or some ****, all will be good again, and people can blow smoke up his ass again in peace.

The uncomfortable truth. Özil is a total luxury and too meek. We looked far better after we ditched the number 10 role and switched to 433. Look at Bernardo Silva, the guy can score, tackle, pass, create, play on the wing, play in the middle etc. THAT is what you expect from an attacking midfielder.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Look at Bernardo Silva, the guy can score, tackle, pass, create, play on the wing, play in the middle etc. THAT is what you expect from an attacking midfielder.
Having Özil shouldn't hurt us, but when you stick Ramsey to CF, Mkhy on one wing and Özil on other, I wonder what do you expect? I didn't see any criticism for Emery, but his game plan was piss poor really and we are still blaming our players for his mess like we are used to do. We miss LB, Özil is left footed so we could stick him there and blame him afterwards how bad he played.
I'm not a fan of Özil, I was one of few people who wasn't too happy when he arrived at Arsenal, but also, I will not blame him for something that is not his fault.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Having Özil shouldn't hurt us, but when you stick Ramsey to CF, Mkhy on one wing and Özil on other, I wonder what do you expect? I didn't see any criticism for Emery, but his game plan was piss poor really and we are still blaming our players for his mess like we are used to do. We miss LB, Özil is left footed so we could stick him there and blame him afterwards how bad he played.
I'm not a fan of Özil, I was one of few people who wasn't too happy when he arrived at Arsenal, but also, I will not blame him for something that is not his fault.

It's not like Emery had much of a choice.
He's a new coach trying to get accepted by his group after 20 years of our best manager ever.

He can't come and bench our stars players like that from the start. He's trying to figure something out.

Do you think Ramsey would sign a new contract if he's benched?
Do you think he can afford to bench a 300k player?
Nope.

He's trying to build a team with our most talented players. It's clearly not working since our most talented players all have huge flaws in their game and they don't complement each other well.

The hard truth is you can't suit Ramsey and Özil in the same team. Even less when Mkhitaryan is in the mix.
Ramsey isn't a B2B anymore. He isn't a CM anymore. He wants to play as a CAM.

Our team played better yesterday without him and with Lacazette because he was playing in the same areas where Özil and Mkhi love to play, without bringing anything significantly different from them except an incredible engine even though both had their worst game in years.
At least lacazette has brought some strengh and could hold the ball.

Too bad we haven't sold him to make funds to buy a true winger.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

His passing, dribbling and shooting was very poor today, but he worked very hard off the ball. He doesn't usually have games where he is technically poor, so I'm still optimistic about his performances this season.
Basically what I was thinking. But the same old same old brigade wants to pile 'lack of effort', 'head dropped' and 'no leadership' on it too when really his performance was bad enough. But what can you do, people's opinions are so coloured nowadays..

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Basically what I was thinking. But the same old same old brigade wants to pile 'lack of effort', 'head dropped' and 'no leadership' on it too when really his performance was bad enough. But what can you do, people's opinions are so coloured nowadays..

Tbf it was the opposite.
I think it was one of the best Özil game in term of efforts, tracking back, and helping the team. Especially during the first half :lol:

It might be the reason he was that bad in the second half. He might not be used to give so much to help the team.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm afraid to criticise him for fear of being labelled racist. So I'll say instead at least Mkhitaryan was worse.

razörist

I'm afraid to criticise him for fear of being labelled racist. So I'll say instead at least Mkhitaryan was worse.
You won’t be labeled a racist mate. Not cool to use a serious subject like this. I rate you as a poster. But on Özil its tough to value your posts.

I remember this yesterday after the 1-0:
Özil anonymous.
That’s what you think about when we get scored against?
In general. The goal came down his side. And earlier when he should have pressed he held his ground. He isn't doing very much.

Jesus Cech:(

Mesut tracking Mendy perfectly, Bellerin, Guendouzi, Xhaka fail to stop Sterling.

@bingobob: the goal came down his side.

:(

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Play Özil as a 10 or he’ll play himself there and we’ll have no width on the wing he was supposed to be on

We’ve seen this before every time Wener played him on the wing

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

If you stick to his performance instead of saying "**** off you Turkish pig" like that German fan at the WC, you should be alright. This really isn't difficult for people who aren't absolute ****** (not saying you are).
Yeah I agree. That was poor of me to phrase it like that. Hungover frustration at his performance yesterday

@razörist I don't think his performance was upto much. His famed technique deserted him, he failed to provide an overlap for Ramsey, he didn't press effectively. He had a poor game. Coincidently I strongly supported him in here after his statements and believe he was right to call out what he viewed as people going to far and bringing in things that did not matter. I suppose in my own head (hangover nor helping) after a competitive match it became difficult to frame how poor I thought he was yesterday after those statements. Same for Mkhitaryan.

razörist

Yeah I agree. That was poor of me to phrase it like that. Hungover frustration at his performance yesterday

@razörist I don't think his performance was upto much. His famed technique deserted him, he failed to provide an overlap for Ramsey, he didn't press effectively. He had a poor game. Coincidently I strongly supported him in here after his statements and believe he was right to call out what he viewed as people going to far and bringing in things that did not matter. I suppose in my own head (hangover nor helping) after a competitive match it became difficult to frame how poor I thought he was yesterday after those statements. Same for Mkhitaryan.
I don't understand why you talk about his post-WC statements in the same breath as his performance yesterday? And he had a poor performance, but your reactions during the match felt like you already made your mind up after 15 minutes, almost blaming him for the first goal when he clearly did everything right. I see you conveniently missed that point, but "he failed provide an overlap for Ramsey". Yeah he's not a winger, and we were pressed into our own half, Ramsey was often our most forward player when receiving the ball, and Mesut has to go from covering Mendy in his own half to overlapping for Ramsey. He's not superman.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I don't understand why you talk about his post-WC statements in the same breath as his performance yesterday? And he had a poor performance, but your reactions during the match felt like you already made your mind up after 15 minutes, almost blaming him for the first goal when he clearly did everything right. I see you conveniently missed that point, but "he failed provide an overlap for Ramsey". Yeah he's not a winger, and we were pressed into our own half, Ramsey was often our most forward player when receiving the ball, and Mesut has to go from covering Mendy in his own half to overlapping for Ramsey. He's not superman.
It was a mistake to bring up the statements.

And perhaps I had made my mind up after 15 minutes. I am and was prepared to give everyone a clean slate. But then I expect to see some sign of change. And unfortunately for Özil it was a case of the same old. After his world cup performance, after returning to the club early for pre season I expected more from him. An opportunity to show case that he has more in him and I didn't see that.

Him, Mkhitaryan and Xhaka were the three poorest players on the pitch for us. Two of them have been under the microscope for a long time and Myhitaryan is only through the door.

razörist

It was a mistake to bring up the statements.

And perhaps I had made my mind up after 15 minutes. I am and was prepared to give everyone a clean slate. But then I expect to see some sign of change. And unfortunately for Özil it was a case of the same old. After his world cup performance, after returning to the club early for pre season I expected more from him. An opportunity to show case that he has more in him and I didn't see that.

Him, Mkhitaryan and Xhaka were the three poorest players on the pitch for us. Two of them have been under the microscope for a long time and Myhitaryan is only through the door.
For me its not a case of same old same old with Mesut yesterday. Cech playing **** passes and being generally poor with his feet was same old same old for me. Mustafi simply turned inside out by Sterling in the first 10 minutes was same old same old (and he continued to have a good game!). Xhaka not able to play out from the press and playing mistaken passes was same old same old for me. But Mesut can't be criticized for his effort or work rate yesterday... that was stellar, in fact I believe almost all our players worked for it yesterday. It was refreshing. Mesut stood out by losing the ball so much, misplacing passes. Is that what he's usually known for? Surely not.

For me it looks like some of you guys, including you, are mistakingly trying to pile up all the old criticism when the reality is we played a very good City side, where Ramsey was playing in Mesut's position and he really couldn't do much. But if you really want to give everyone a clean slate, perhaps wait a bit longer than 15 minutes against the Champions, out of position and under a new way of playing.

blaze_of_glory

I thought defensively he was quite good, lots of tracking back, etc. But struggled with the ball, which is not like him but he does have these games at times. Nothing he tried came off going forward, and the entire attack was disjointed for the most part.

Doesn't help when you get the pundits slating him for exactly the things he was doing well though. Shows who's really lazy in their jobs.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

For me its not a case of same old same old with Mesut yesterday. Cech playing **** passes and being generally poor with his feet was same old same old for me. Mustafi simply turned inside out by Sterling in the first 10 minutes was same old same old (and he continued to have a good game!). Xhaka not able to play out from the press and playing mistaken passes was same old same old for me. But Mesut can't be criticized for his effort or work rate yesterday... that was stellar, in fact I believe almost all our players worked for it yesterday. It was refreshing. Mesut stood out by losing the ball so much, misplacing passes. Is that what he's usually known for? Surely not.

For me it looks like some of you guys, including you, are mistakingly trying to pile up all the old criticism when the reality is we played a very good City side, where Ramsey was playing in Mesut's position and he really couldn't do much. But if you really want to give everyone a clean slate, perhaps wait a bit longer than 15 minutes against the Champions, out of position and under a new way of playing.
You're probably right. I should give it longer. I know we need at least a full season to embed the new ideas.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
He was pretty bad yesterday, but I don’t think he was as bad as some are suggesting. Worked hard, particularly in the first half I thought. The attacking setup and strategy was all wrong IMO, don’t think we could have scored more than one goal. Hard to really point the finger at anyone, considering it’s the managers first game and against Man City no less.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

It's not like Emery had much of a choice.
He's a new coach trying to get accepted by his group after 20 years of our best manager ever.

He can't come and bench our stars players like that from the start. He's trying to figure something out.

Do you think Ramsey would sign a new contract if he's benched?
Do you think he can afford to bench a 300k player?
Nope.

He's trying to build a team with our most talented players. It's clearly not working since our most talented players all have huge flaws in their game and they don't complement each other well.

The hard truth is you can't suit Ramsey and Özil in the same team. Even less when Mkhitaryan is in the mix.
Ramsey isn't a B2B anymore. He isn't a CM anymore. He wants to play as a CAM.

Our team played better yesterday without him and with Lacazette because he was playing in the same areas where Özil and Mkhi love to play, without bringing anything significantly different from them except an incredible engine even though both had their worst game in years.
At least lacazette has brought some strengh and could hold the ball.

Too bad we haven't sold him to make funds to buy a true winger.
Top post mate agree entirely alot of our fans dont understand this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom