• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenio Venger

I thought defensively he was quite good, lots of tracking back, etc. But struggled with the ball, which is not like him but he does have these games at times. Nothing he tried came off going forward, and the entire attack was disjointed for the most part.

Doesn't help when you get the pundits slating him for exactly the things he was doing well though. Shows who's really lazy in their jobs.

The pundits are full of ****. The times they say he has a good game are times when he gets an assist or scores, but when he doesn’t do that, he gets called anonymous or having a bad lazy game even when he works hard which he did yesterday. They think he’s not trying when he’s not having a great offensive game, shows they don’t really pay attention to the other stuff.

Godwin1

Very well-known
The pundits are full of ****. The times they say he has a good game are times when he gets an assist or scores, but when he doesn’t do that, he gets called anonymous or having a bad lazy game even when he works hard which he did yesterday. They think he’s not trying when he’s not having a great offensive game, shows they don’t really pay attention to the other stuff.
On the flip side though his best form for Arsenal was a period last season where he wasn't racking up the assists, and the pundits did show credit where it's due. It's hard to sift through the bullshit in the media but at the same time it's become a bit of a meme on here to dismiss all pundits opinions on our players on here because of lowest common denominator stuff like "he's lazy".

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I was very, very critical of his performances last year where I did feel like some laziness and a lack of effort crept in. He was bad yesterday but to say he was lazy is a joke. To his credit, he worked extremely hard defensively in the first half. He was consistently coming back to his own box to try to win the ball back after the press was bypassed. Now where there is fault with his performance is being uncharacteristically sloppy and out of sorts in the final third once Emery did finally move him into the position he should have been occupying. That's a valid criticism but has nothing to do with effort and everything to do with execution. Give me the effort that he put in yesterday every match with the execution he's usually capable of in his preferred spots and I'll take it quite happily because it will end up in a very productive season. Pundits are so dreadful these days that they stay on a single narrative well past its sell by date rather than actually looking at individual performances and actual form.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
It's not like Emery had much of a choice.
He's a new coach trying to get accepted by his group after 20 years of our best manager ever.

He can't come and bench our stars players like that from the start. He's trying to figure something out.

Do you think Ramsey would sign a new contract if he's benched?
Do you think he can afford to bench a 300k player?
Nope.

He's trying to build a team with our most talented players. It's clearly not working since our most talented players all have huge flaws in their game and they don't complement each other well.

The hard truth is you can't suit Ramsey and Özil in the same team. Even less when Mkhitaryan is in the mix.
Ramsey isn't a B2B anymore. He isn't a CM anymore. He wants to play as a CAM.

Our team played better yesterday without him and with Lacazette because he was playing in the same areas where Özil and Mkhi love to play, without bringing anything significantly different from them except an incredible engine even though both had their worst game in years.
At least lacazette has brought some strengh and could hold the ball.

Too bad we haven't sold him to make funds to buy a true winger.
True about accommodating both Ramsey and Özil in the same team. If they do, Ramsey should STFU and do his midfielder duties. He should venture forward only if it is absolutely necessary. In other cases, he just takes Özil's space and does absolutely nothing from there.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
He’s being played out of position, it’s as simple as that. He’s not a winger and he’ll never be one. It only works when the team has a lot of possession against smaller teams and he can come from the wing and go in centrally to build up attacks when the opposition are already sitting deep. He gets nullified too easily against bigger teams where we don’t see as much of the ball and he’s forced to run up and down the flank to support the FB so he’s out of position most of the time. A creator like Özil should be positioned where he can get ahold of the ball as much as possible and do the most damage.

Özil should be the intermediary between midfield and attack/wings. He shouldn’t play in attack/out wide at all and especially not against big teams. The man just needs supply from midfield (Torreira/Guendouzi are excellent at line breaking passes so he should excel with them in the team), movement up front and someone who he can do combinations with like mikhi/Laca/iwobi. That’s the way to get the best out of him with this squad imo.

Will we become a worse team at pressing? Yes, but we might as well play Mo Farah in Ramsey’s position if all we’re thinking of is pressing. I bet he could press the sh*t out of any team for 90 min straight but we’re playing football not pressball right?
https://www.google.se/amp/s/metro.c...playing-him-in-his-best-position-7032999/amp/
‘I know myself better than anyone else and I’m someone who needs to have fun on the pitch,’ Özil told Sky Sports.

‘Everyone knows my favourite position is the playmaker, the No.10, at the moment the coach plays me on the right and it’s a thing I need to accept and to show my quality in that position.

‘Of course I’m happy to perform and give good performances individually, but it’s more important that we do that as a team. I think we did that really well against Everton.’
http://dailycannon.com/2015/06/Özil-everyone-knows-favourite-position/
During Germany’s success at the World Cup Özil was used out wide, and that continued when he came back to Arsenal.

It didn’t really take, and his season was reignited when he was moved back into a central role after recovering from injury.

“Everyone knows it’s my favourite position, that I play my game best there, and that there I have the freedom that I don’t have on the wing,” said the Arsenal star.
He found himself there when he returned, and made the most of it.

He can dictate play – the tempo, the opposition, the spaces on the pitch.

When given a role where he can roam, he wreaks havoc, and Arsenal look better with him back in the middle.

“We played a very good second half of the season with that formation,” said Özil.

“That’s why I do think I have already asserted myself there.”
But he doesn’t need to be the star, and he doesn’t need to be in his position.

“I would never seek to request this position and I would also never moan when I am put elsewhere.

“Above all I play for the team, not my ego.”

That’s the case for both club and country.

“That was the same at the WM, Marco Reus was injured therefore I had to be on the left wing,” Özil said.

His performances during that tournament were criticised in some quarters.

“Had I played ‘10’ in Brazil I would have brought a completely different performance.

“What mattered was that we were world champions.”

That sums him up – all that matters is that his team is successful.

With Mesut Özil any team can be successful.

With Mesut Özil playing in his best role, you have a far better chance.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...n-his-best-position-says-Per-Mertesacker.html
Despite Özil’s impressive display against Villa, Mertesacker believes the former Real Madrid star is not best utilised from the flank once his is fully match fit.

Mertesacker knows Özil’s strengths and weaknesses better than most, having played with him at Werder Bremen, with Germany and now at Arsenal.

Speaking about Özil’s performance against Villa, Mertesacker said: “It was not his best position in my opinion, he played more on the left side, but he can play anywhere up front.

“It is good for him to get back his fitness and maybe on the wing he is doing a bit more defensive work as well.

It’s simply lunacy to put this guy on the wing just to accommodate Pippo Ramsaghi. It’s either him or Ramsey or you play Aaron as a CM and tell him to sit back and defend like he used to do back in his non striker days.

If all Unai cares about is press then he should frankly put Elneny in that Ramsey roll since he’s by far our best presser in our team. We wouldn’t lose much in our offense either.

I rest my case.

Last edited:

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
If I kind mod could change my status thing under my name to “Don’t play mesut on the wing ffs” or something like that so I can spread the gospel with every post it would be greatly appreciated.
I’m already tired of repeating myself on this issue and I haven’t even been here for that long lol

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
https://www.google.se/amp/s/metro.c...playing-him-in-his-best-position-7032999/amp/

http://dailycannon.com/2015/06/Özil-everyone-knows-favourite-position/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...n-his-best-position-says-Per-Mertesacker.html

It’s simply lunacy to put this guy on the wing just to accommodate Pippo Ramsaghi. It’s either him or Ramsey or you play Aaron as a CM and tell him to sit back and defend like he used to do back in his non striker days.

If all Unai cares about is press then he should frankly put Elneny in that Ramsey roll since he’s by far our best presser in our team. We wouldn’t lose much in our offense either.

I rest my case.
Agree completely. It's one thing to move Özil if you're accommodating a better, more productive player. It's another to do so to accommodate Ramsey. Our 3 best players by some distance are Auba, Özil and Laca. To move or even leave out any of those 3 to shoehorn Ramsey in is lunacy and Emery will find the criticism and consequences very unpleasant if he continues because it will not work. I believe he is smarter than that though and will rectify his mistake.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Agree completely. It's one thing to move Özil if you're accommodating a better, more productive player. It's another to do so to accommodate Ramsey. Our 3 best players by some distance are Auba, Özil and Laca. To move or even leave out any of those 3 to shoehorn Ramsey in is lunacy and Emery will find the criticism and consequences very unpleasant if he continues because it will not work. I believe he is smarter than that though and will rectify his mistake.
I think we’re going to see it eventually. Unai isn’t unfamiliar with that set up at all so it shouldn’t be a problem. But if he continues with Ramsey in that position then I have to admit that I’ll be really disappointed with Unai.
3. Mesut Özil will be key
The new Arsenal boss usually deploys a line of three behind the striker with a pure winger like Joaquin, a talented No. 10 and another playmaker to add creativity from the other flank such as Juan Mata. Corona, Ivan Rakitic and Ever Banega played major roles under Emery in the No. 10 role and the former Almeria playmaker predicts he could replicate the same formula with Özil.

"Unai wants his players to express their talent and he will surely look for the best way to make Özil decisive in the team's game," said Corona.

Cesar recalls that at Valencia, Emery gave David Silva that responsibility so that the current Manchester City midfielder could show his full potential.

"Silva played as the No. 10 for us rather than on the flanks," the former keeper said. "The No. 10 is an important figure for Emery because he is the player who links the midfielders with the forwards.

"The two midfielder give balance, with one also pushing forward. If anyone can get the best out of Özil, it is Unai."
http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...-play-five-former-players-examine-his-tactics

BobP

Memri Fan
d926h4aca1g11.jpg

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
The arrogance of some of these Germans is unbelievable. If someone expresses concerns with an organisation, especially someone whose contributed a lot to it, you don't just flatly contradict them. It's snide, nasty and makes me think what I said a few pages back is true. Some of these guys either have a guilty conscience or are worried previous behaviour on their part is about to be brought to light.

TheArsenalis

Watch this and tell me why the hell you’d play Ramsey in his position.
If I start the next London riot come October and steal all the Mesut shirts then it’s not my fault
If I start the next London riot come October and steal all the Mesut shirts then it’s not my fault
Özil playing like he just ate a full plait these days. No hunger whatsoever. I remember watching real madrid games just to see what he will do. I aint seen him grab a game by the neck in a long while.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Because Özil is the best number 10 in the world, playing in an era where no one wants to use a number 10 anymore.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Because Özil is the best number 10 in the world, playing in an era where no one wants to use a number 10 anymore.
That’s fine, sell him then and buy a winger. Don’t give him a 350k/w contract and put him on the wing where he’s useless.
Unai could have probably gotten 10-15m for him this summer despite his outrageous contract. What he did against city is simply mismanagement but let’s see what he does for the rest of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom