• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

World class talent with piss poor attitude! Think the way he handled the whole Erdogan matter a perfect example why he will probably never progress. little or no self-awareness or self-critique, just buried his head in the sand and sulked. He needs to be benched for as long as it takes for him to get the message that he needs to dial up the effort by quite a few notches. Hope we can offload him somehow soon.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I really really want this guy to do well here. I feel dreadful about what's transpired in Germany. That said, he makes it so very hard to defend performances like today's. I counted 1 instance of him tracking back with any real intent today, right before he was subbed off after being dispossessed far too easily in the final third and killing an attacking move. When his number came up he mouthed "**** off." Now if that was because he was angry at his effort on the day then fair play. But if that was because he didn't feel his performance to that point warranted a sub then I really wonder if he'll ever have the sort of impact his talent suggests he should because he cannot have believed that was good enough today.

The first match was similarly poor in possession but at least there was consistent effort to press and track back. This today was the Özil that created the narrative that pundits feel comfortable pushing every match because he seldom proves them wrong. Head down, on the periphery of everything. I don't even remember him playing a dangerous ball which he's typically capable of at least once in a match, even on his worst days. And what's even more damning is that the Chelsea midfield was a sieve defensively. Kante wasn't at his usual level and there was plenty of space in an open game. This is the kind of match he should be absolutely dominating and there wasn't even a whiff of impact. We can talk about where he plays and who is behind him and all that good stuff but ultimately it's Özil and Özil alone who is going to determine his impact.

He might need a spell on the bench , he's had a mentally tough summer . Can't be easy when you are now pariah in your own country .

wigner

World class talent with piss poor attitude! Think the way he handled the whole Erdogan matter a perfect example why he will probably never progress. little or no self-awareness or self-critique, just buried his head in the sand and sulked. He needs to be benched for as long as it takes for him to get the message that he needs to dial up the effort by quite a few notches. Hope we can offload him somehow soon.

Really? And what is that Özil did wrong with respect to the Erdogan situation?

wigner

German Theo Walcott. Just like his English ex teammate he, Özil, is also a limited, gutless footballer who for large spells is useless on the pitch except when the stars align but is WC at talking after the game/on social media. Both bent the club over due to holding out on signing their contract after a true WC player got fed up playing with jokers at AFC and left for United (RVP for Walcott and Sanchez for Özil) and to save face the club threw astronomical, and completely undeserving, wages to save face/stop an exidous.

Theo scored yesterday and Everton won. Theo ain't so bad, is he?

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Since his statements after the world cup suddenly he can do nothing right. Even now people are calling him WC in talking after the game. Which is something he absolutely never does, I wish he did. But he put himself out there with the racism stuff and suddenly everyone is taking shots at him.

He was very bad yesterday, and unlike last week, a lack of effort was also part of it, which is nothing like him. Perhaps we should give him a bit of time to get back into it all, we don’t know how much impact the summer had on him. If he isn’t playing well its obvious that he’s dropping to the bench, which will be good for him. Emery will get the best out of him.

Tony's nose

He might need a spell on the bench , he's had a mentally tough summer . Can't be easy when you are now pariah in your own country .

A mentally tough summer ...Oh get the violins out!

Beckham was the countries pariah after a certain incident in the world cup and look what happened after.

Either stand up and be counted or sit back and watch the money pile up. He very much opts for the easy option every time .

He's gotta go wrong attitude which more than likely rubs off on others

vijay

Hates Guendouzi for no reason
Özil is a playmaker and creator. While he was on the field yesterday, Arsenal did well in terms of creating chances and were at parity, or even dominant.

Any other metric to judge him is purely irrelevant and agenda driven

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Since his statements after the world cup suddenly he can do nothing right. Even now people are calling him WC in talking after the game. Which is something he absolutely never does, I wish he did. But he put himself out there with the racism stuff and suddenly everyone is taking shots at him.

He was very bad yesterday, and unlike last week, a lack of effort was also part of it, which is nothing like him. Perhaps we should give him a bit of time to get back into it all, we don’t know how much impact the summer had on him. If he isn’t playing well its obvious that he’s dropping to the bench, which will be good for him. Emery will get the best out of him.

So have you blocked out his numerous intragram messages responding to criticism after poor performances? Or do you have the memory of a goldfish? Özil great at doing the talking after the match, online, but on the pitch when we needed him not so much.

Also imaging reaching to defend your golden boy to the point that you think people are calling him out for poor performances for Arsenal because he had an issue while away with ****ing Germany. :lol: Like Özil hasn't been crap vs the big team throughout his time here. :lol: :lol:

Wenger is gone, so there is nobody to hide behind, and the gap is widening between us and the top teams...supporters have little time for people they feel aren't down for the cause and it seems many are finally starting to see Özil in a better light and judging him/what he brings overall more objectively.

It's up to him to play how we know he can and get people back on his side, but the first two games have been unacceptable.

vijay

Or we just ****ed up another contract renewal. Gave the player all the power & they bent us over.

Starting to think we should have just called Ozils bluff. What team is giving him over 200k in Europe?
well then blame the three wise men

vijay

No. He got it because we were in crisis, lost Sanchez on a free and faced massive uncertainty about Wenger's future. We panicked and paid him whatever he wanted. I foresee him going to China or the Middle East once he realises an opportunity to expand his M10 brand.
so u admit that the people running the club are panicky. Campaign to get them out.

vijay

Oh why dont we give ramsey that 350k a week too then, after he scored the winners in 2 of them.

offer 100k bonus a week to the rest of players who played in the fa cup games.

Come on, bra a player need our star player to be our star players. That means stay consistent pulling rabbits out the hats week in/out
ask the management.

Özil's job is to move the ball forward and create chances. That part happened alright while he was on the pitch yesterday

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Özil is a playmaker and creator. While he was on the field yesterday, Arsenal did well in terms of creating chances and were at parity, or even dominant.

Any other metric to judge him is purely irrelevant and agenda driven
Like i said he is a harlem globetrotter.

He may ozze technical qualities but so do football freestylers. He is a limited 11 a side football player. A one trick pony. The modern game has left him behind and it's upto him to catch up. You cannot be a passenger.

Even if we judged him on his creative qualities what did he do yesterday? Nothing.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

So have you blocked out his numerous intragram messages responding to criticism after poor performances? Or do you have the memory of a goldfish? Özil great at doing the talking after the match, online, but on the pitch when we needed him not so much.

Also imaging reaching to defend your golden boy to the point that you think people are calling him out for poor performances for Arsenal because he had an issue while away with ****ing Germany. :lol: Like Özil hasn't been crap vs the big team throughout his time here. :lol: :lol:

Wenger is gone, so there is nobody to hide behind, and the gap is widening between us and the top teams...supporters have little time for people they feel aren't down for the cause and it seems many are finally are starting to see Özil in a better light and judging him more objectively.

It's up to him to play how we know he can and get people back on his side, but the first two games have been unacceptable.
You’re talking about the two times he responded to our own ex-players tearing into Arsenal? And use that to call him WC at talking after the game? It was the bullshit Theo and Per did with the bounce back that was annoying us here. You can pretend Mesut was like that, but he was not. In five years here he almost never talked to the press.

I’m not defending him, I am just not going with the urge to pile everything on and make it seem he’s playing as bad as he did yesterday for 5 years now. You say he’s WC in talking after the game which nobody has ever said about him before the Germany exit but suddenly it has always been like that. That’s just not true. And the big game bullshit needs to stop too. We have been poor as a team in big games, including Mesut. Why always blame him and act like he never does anything in big games? Its really funny how you say that but some of his best games have been against United, Chelsea and Liverpool. But only the last match counts right. First games were bad, but lets stop painting his whole career with the same brush.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Jheez, this thread almost made me question if I’m as delusional as the Xhaka fanboys . Maybe I am lol :lol:

I honestly don’t think he was as bad as people in here make him out to be. The whole team was pretty bad apart from about 15 min at the end of the first half. We couldn’t get him on the ball enough and he didn’t look as energetic as against city last week which isn’t the best combination. I’m not saying that he was good but no one in the team really had a good performance apart from iwobi, Matteo and cech. That doesn’t excuse his performance but it doesn’t warrant this kind of reaction lol

He still had a better performance than Ramsey had in his position last week imo who managed to make just 6 successful passes in the whole match. It’s a no brainer for me if the choice comes between those two and if Emery doesn’t start playing 433 soon then there’s really no place for Ramsey in this team imo.

I hope Emery sticks with him in the #10 position and I’m sure that mesut will get going soon enough if he does. But if he continues like this then he should definitely be dropped, just like anyone else in the team.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Really? And what is that Özil did wrong with respect to the Erdogan situation?
Didn't I write that in my post? He showed "little or no self-awareness or self-critique, just buried his head in the sand and sulked". If you want to know more about the situation just read the German press about this. He handled it poorly by not speaking out and explaining himself unlike lkay Gündoğan for whom I have a lot more respect. With regards to Özil I am through with him. Good riddance for the German national team and hopefully good riddance for Arsenal, unless he can improve quickly.

PS. Do not want to get into a political debate if meeting with Erdogan as a German national team player in front of the WC was right or wrong. One can have different views on this. Issue is how he handled the critique (justified or not) afterwards that matters.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He was very bad yesterday, and unlike last week, a lack of effort was also part of it, which is nothing like him.
I have to disagree with the part I put in bold. Isn't a lack of application one thing that marks him out? Some say it is his playing style and body language. Having watched him over years now I think he is soft beyond help. I hoped he would toughen up once in the PL but that hasn't really happened. Think Wenger was the wrong coach at the wrong time. 5 years ago he needed a kick up the pants and Wenger wouldn't do that. Now I think his attitude is shot for good I fear.

Hopefully Emery has a solution and can work him into gear again, but who knows. I'd love to be proven wrong and he turns into a star again.

I was watching highlights from the 2010 WC when he burst onto the scene. His speed and drive was just so much better. God I wish he could find some of that again.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
You’re talking about the two times he responded to our own ex-players tearing into Arsenal? And use that to call him WC at talking after the game? It was the bullshit Theo and Per did with the bounce back that was annoying us here. You can pretend Mesut was like that, but he was not. In five years here he almost never talked to the press.

What the **** are you talking about? Who said anything about "talking to the press"? Furthermore nobody said anything about Per's bounce back talk and compared it to Özil doing his responding to criticism on social media rather than doing his "talking" on the pitch. There you go again making **** up to defend your boy.

Pundits and supports were rightfully raving about his performances when they warranted it early last season. People don't pile it on to pile it on for nothing they just feel he can give more. With the way you defend/make up points to defend you seem happy deep down with whatever he serves up.

I’m not defending him, I am just not going with the urge to pile everything on and make it seem he’s playing as bad as he did yesterday for 5 years now. You say he’s WC in talking after the game which nobody has ever said about him before the Germany exit but suddenly it has always been like that. That’s just not true. And the big game bullshit needs to stop too. We have been poor as a team in big games, including Mesut. Why always blame him and act like he never does anything in big games? Its really funny how you say that but some of his best games have been against United, Chelsea and Liverpool. But only the last match counts right. First games were bad, but lets stop painting his whole career with the same brush.

Honest question: Were you surprised by his performance vs City and Chelsea? Was it uncharacteristic for him to have that level of influence in a big game for Arsenal? Again be honest with yourself and I'd wager you, and many other supporters werent surprised he was pretty much useless in a big game for AFC. Face of the club, 2nd highest player in the league, but you're over here acting like he's a some backup youngster. The wages come with extra responsibility.

Again the buck has dropped. Wenger was forced out, so no more Arsène to fall on the sword for everyone despite them continually letting him down. The top teams are drifting out of sight, so anyone who calls themselves an Arsenal FC supporter needs to hold everyone to a higher standard as we would need to overachieve to get Top 4 let alone challenge for the title.

Btw I called him out for doing his talking on social media vs doing his talking on the pitch when things were going sour last season, stop blaming everyone else for his shortcomings and bringing up ****ing Germany NT's drama for why people are sick of his underperformance for Arsenal these days.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I have to disagree with the part I put in bold. Isn't a lack of application one thing that marks him out? Some say it is his playing style and body language. Having watched him over years now I think he is soft beyond help. I hoped he would toughen up once in the PL but that hasn't really happened. Think Wenger was the wrong coach at the wrong time. 5 years ago he needed a kick up the pants and Wenger wouldn't do that. Now I think his attitude is shot for good I fear.

Hopefully Emery has a solution and can work him into gear again, but who knows. I'd love to be proven wrong and he turns into a star again.

I was watching highlights from the 2010 WC when he burst onto the scene. His speed and drive was just so much better. God I wish he could find some of that again.

Yep. Özil is a princess. Everyone knows it. He sought special treatment and Wenger gave it to him.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I'm confused. Özil handled the Erdogan situation with class rarely seen with athletes who step out into social issues.
Could not disagree more. He handled the whole thing very poorly. He should have come out and explained himself. By staying quiet first for so long and then immediately bringing up that he has been wrongfully treated and would resign from the national team just shows how little ability he has to take criticism and how he reacts to it. It is like his father said, that Mesut felt disappointed and offended by it. "Er ist geknickt, enttäuscht und gekränkt. Und ja: auch beleidigt."

The critique in itself becomes an offence in Özil's view. Like yesterday when he was subbed. Look at his reaction. There you have the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom