• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Could not disagree more. He handled the whole thing very poorly. He should have come out and explained himself. By staying quiet first for so long and then immediately bringing up that he has been wrongfully treated and would resign from the national team just shows how little ability he has to take criticism and how he reacts to it. It is like his father said, that Mesut felt disappointed and offended by it. "Er ist geknickt, enttäuscht und gekränkt. Und ja: auch beleidigt."

The critique in itself becomes an offence in Özil's view. Like yesterday when he was subbed. Look at his reaction. There you have the issue.
Why should he have come out and explained it? It wouldn't have made any difference, just like his statement about the meeting not being a political endorsement made no difference. People have already made up their minds about Özil, the gaslighting from the DFB and German players is proof of that.

hyruga2

Leave Theo alone!!!
Özil 's style of play is too predictable. We all know Özil cannot shoot far or he doesnt shoot from far at all. he doesn't head much, he doesn't play much one-two or he doesn't do a run in after a one-two. He doesn't really dribble. All he does is pass.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
He needs to turn up against West Ham, if he can't play well against them then I'm done with him to be honest. Play Mkhitaryan in his place.

Mkhitaryan was the worst on the pitch for heavens sake! Invisible for 80min

Jae

Mkhitaryan was the worst on the pitch for heavens sake! Invisible for 80min

If I said the sky was blue you'd say it was red :rolleyes: I swear to god you disagree with people for the sake of it.

He had a poor game but he was still better than Özil who did absolutely nothing either defensively or offensively. At least he got a goal (could and should have had more), actually tracked back and acted like he at least wanted to be on the pitch.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
If I said the sky was blue you'd say it was red :rolleyes: I swear to god you disagree with people for the sake of it.

He had a poor game but he was still better than Özil who did absolutely nothing either defensively or offensively. At least he got a goal (could and should have had more), actually tracked back and acted like he at least wanted to be on the pitch.

Alibi tracking

Left Bellerin alone far to often

Look at Iwobi for how to do it right, he even made Monreal look not bad. Cant make him look good mind you he is not a magiska after all

The problem you and others have is that you are so steeped in wengerthink that it clouds your judgement

You still hype and praise the wrong guys and unfairly dish the ones who are actually good.

oldkingclancy

I desperately want Özil to be good and I think he takes a bit of a battering at times from the press. He doesn't seem to be allowed to have an okay game. I feel that in the bigger games we are sacrificing a lot to get him in the team, the only position he can really be effective is in the number 10 in a 4-2-3-1 but we aren't organised enough defensively to play that against the better sides. We are not good enough at the moment to force these teams to bend to our will so we have to make adjustments and sacrifices and I believe he is one. I think we might have some success playing a 5-2-1-2 style. 3 centre backs would relieve the wing backs of a fraction of defensive responsibility. 2 sitting midfielders with Ramsey in front as a 8/10 and Auba and Laca upfront. Would mean dropping Mkhi and Özil but they don't contribute enough defensively and whereas Ramsey isn't as cultured he tracks back more and this would also mean he wouldn't be leaving the gaps he does when he plays as part of a 2. It also gets our two strikers on the pitch together. Probably unpopular but I cant see why it wouldn't be worth trying

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Could not disagree more. He handled the whole thing very poorly. He should have come out and explained himself. By staying quiet first for so long and then immediately bringing up that he has been wrongfully treated and would resign from the national team just shows how little ability he has to take criticism and how he reacts to it. It is like his father said, that Mesut felt disappointed and offended by it. "Er ist geknickt, enttäuscht und gekränkt. Und ja: auch beleidigt."

The critique in itself becomes an offence in Özil's view. Like yesterday when he was subbed. Look at his reaction. There you have the issue.

It seems like you're making issues out of thin air. He shouldn't have had to explain himself for a photo taken at a charity event (wasn't this in England?) and then his reaction of being subbed off is a good reaction for a player who cares. He was pissed to come off. That's a good thing!

Also, he was perfectly correct in resigning from the national team because he knew he would have little support from the nationalist German teammates and it looks like that was correct in hindsight.

I think you'll find the actual issue inside of a mirror looking back at you.

wigner

Didn't I write that in my post? He showed "little or no self-awareness or self-critique, just buried his head in the sand and sulked". If you want to know more about the situation just read the German press about this. He handled it poorly by not speaking out and explaining himself unlike lkay Gündoğan for whom I have a lot more respect. With regards to Özil I am through with him. Good riddance for the German national team and hopefully good riddance for Arsenal, unless he can improve quickly.

PS. Do not want to get into a political debate if meeting with Erdogan as a German national team player in front of the WC was right or wrong. One can have different views on this. Issue is how he handled the critique (justified or not) afterwards that matters.

And what does he have to explain? For taking a picture with the President of a country?

When the President of any country wants to talk with somebody and have a picture taken -- most people would be happy to do it.

If Gadaffi offered you a photo-op, I bet you would happily go -- particularly if he offered you some free candy. Dude, all of your forefathers lined up to take a picture with Hitler. So, I wouldn't talk if I were you.

Jae

Alibi tracking

Left Bellerin alone far to often

Look at Iwobi for how to do it right, he even made Monreal look not bad. Cant make him look good mind you he is not a magiska after all

The problem you and others have is that you are so steeped in wengerthink that it clouds your judgement

You still hype and praise the wrong guys and unfairly dish the ones who are actually good.

You're talking absolute nonsense mate, as usual. I have eyes in my head and could clearly see that Özil was invisible for 90% of that game. What did Özil contribute if Mkhi was that much worse?

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
You're talking absolute nonsense mate, as usual. I have eyes in my head and could clearly see that Özil was invisible for 90% of that game. What did Özil contribute if Mkhi was that much worse?

A few thru balls being a pass option
Had a crack at goal

More press (then what we are used to seeing) obviously followed Emery directions so his end game suffered

But we still stick him with one dimensional players infront of him
Auba can only run. Giroud couldn't run

Laca can do abit of what both those did and yet he doesn't start?

I was underwhelmed when we signed Laca but he proved me wrong

I bought the hype when we signed Auba but he proved me wrong to :(

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head

Ahhh and the irony of this, the Özil fanboys all criticizing Mkhi input, he got a goal and an assist actually plus plenty of key passes from what I could see this alone normally justifies Özil's greatness in fanboy eyes, why a different rule for Mkhitaryan I wonder???
Have long suspected Özil is a busted flush as a player, all the other stuff surrounding him at the moment doesnt help but the world cup non performances and his recent application for Arsenal prove this as far as I'm concerned, he didnt have the slightest impact for Germany at the world cup and he isnt making the slightest impact on Arsenal right now. Bench him until he improves /rectifies his attitude is the only way.
In the meantime we can give Nelson some game time and let Mkhitarian do what Özil should be doing.

Reactions: Jae

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I desperately want Özil to be good and I think he takes a bit of a battering at times from the press. He doesn't seem to be allowed to have an okay game. I feel that in the bigger games we are sacrificing a lot to get him in the team, the only position he can really be effective is in the number 10 in a 4-2-3-1 but we aren't organised enough defensively to play that against the better sides. We are not good enough at the moment to force these teams to bend to our will so we have to make adjustments and sacrifices and I believe he is one. I think we might have some success playing a 5-2-1-2 style. 3 centre backs would relieve the wing backs of a fraction of defensive responsibility. 2 sitting midfielders with Ramsey in front as a 8/10 and Auba and Laca upfront. Would mean dropping Mkhi and Özil but they don't contribute enough defensively and whereas Ramsey isn't as cultured he tracks back more and this would also mean he wouldn't be leaving the gaps he does when he plays as part of a 2. It also gets our two strikers on the pitch together. Probably unpopular but I cant see why it wouldn't be worth trying

There are several formations that would work

3412 (this one drops Ramsey thou )

Can we just get to see Xhaka AND Torreira as the two cms so much would be better

But no Emery falls for the same Trap and wants to stick a acm in CM/dm position

Bench Guendouzi he messes us up

Liam Spencer

Özil was finished 5 years ago. I still remember how I was bashed here around 2015 for stating that Coutinho is better than him lol.

It appears that our fans are simply not willing to accept the reality - Özil is done and dusted, and there is a reason why he is playing for us. He is not good enough to play for the elite clubs anymore. He ran down his contract to the final year, and not one elite club showed up.

Madrid got rid him of him at the right time and Wenger signed him as a “panic” buy, after missing out on Suarez and Higuain.

This DFB racism card is a new one, but his apologists have been playing the victim card for many years now. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no agenda against him - people criticize him simply because he is rubbish 90% of the time.

The stars have to align for Özil to have a great game, but that does not happen often. He only plays well when the opposition gives him acres of space and he is not expected to track back, which is why he is awful in nearly every big match that he plays.

It was obvious to me by the end of his first season that he is not going to cut the mustard here, but leave it to his fans to come up with all sorts of new excuses, and I trust they will come up with how he plays the most “key passes” and creates the “most chances”, ****all stats that mean nothing because you don’t see the influence on the pitch.

They call him an elite player, but he is not even among the top 20 players in the world. That is not elite.

Germany does not need him and neither does Arsenal. I hope Emery will grow a pair and send him packing to the Turkish league or something because that is his level.

I reckon our fans are in denial mode because they cannot cope with the disappointment. The disappointment that our record signing - the man who was going to take Arsenal to the next level - the big name, Madrid #10 who was going to light up the league has turned out to be a flop.

I guess all of that is ok as long as he is topping the charts of key passes and chances created, while playing cute flicks against some farmers.

Rant over.

shootxhakashoot

Özil was finished 5 years ago. I still remember how I was bashed here around 2015 for stating that Coutinho is better than him lol.

It appears that our fans are simply not willing to accept the reality - Özil is done and dusted, and there is a reason why he is playing for us. He is not good enough to play for the elite clubs anymore. He ran down his contract to the final year, and not one elite club showed up.

Madrid got rid him of him at the right time and Wenger signed him as a “panic” buy, after missing out on Suarez and Higuain.

This DFB racism card is a new one, but his apologists have been playing the victim card for many years now. Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no agenda against him - people criticize him simply because he is rubbish 90% of the time.

The stars have to align for Özil to have a great game, but that does not happen often. He only plays well when the opposition gives him acres of space and he is not expected to track back, which is why he is awful in nearly every big match that he plays.

It was obvious to me by the end of his first season that he is not going to cut the mustard here, but leave it to his fans to come up with all sorts of new excuses, and I trust they will come up with how he plays the most “key passes” and creates the “most chances”, ****all stats that mean nothing because you don’t see the influence on the pitch.

They call him an elite player, but he is not even among the top 20 players in the world. That is not elite.

Germany does not need him and neither does Arsenal. I hope Emery will grow a pair and send him packing to the Turkish league or something because that is his level.

I reckon our fans are in denial mode because they cannot cope with the disappointment. The disappointment that our record signing - the man who was going to take Arsenal to the next level - the big name, Madrid #10 who was going to light up the league has turned out to be a flop.

I guess all of that is ok as long as he is topping the charts of key passes and chances created, while playing cute flicks against some farmers.

Rant over.
I dont think any true fans of the team are in denial mode, there are reasons the Ozils of this world have such snarling loyal fans who refuse to look at things from a performance point of view. A kind of tribal nationalism if you will but nothing to do with supporting Arsenal or wanting the best for the team imo based on the guys performance.
If Özil was doing the business week in week out, rather than moping around because of a (alleged) racism in the German national setup + Erdogan furore that actually has nothing at all to do with Arsenal (who pay his wages) there would be none of this criticism but as it is he hasnt performed for a lot of his career at Arsenal and recently has been the absolute pits.
He needs to lose his place in the team and find some motivation from somewhere to get back to the level he IS capable of, cutting out all the bulls**t, I'm not sure he actually has it in him anymore is the problem. No Arsenal fan would be unhappy with an Özil playing at his historical best week in week out, we just dont see it.
As it is he's a white elephant on £300k a week, you have to question some of the decisions at the club with contracts you really do.
You would also have to question WTF is going on when Özil has been given the biggest contract in the clubs history yet his performance for us (nevermind world cup performances etc) has fallen completely off a cliff.

vijay

Hates Guendouzi for no reason
maybe he is a little pissed off, that they told him Wenger was leaving, after he had signed.

Elwood

Özil is just physically not very talented, and he is not great at beating his player, partly because of his physique. That's where all his problems come from. That's the player he is, that's it. Everything else mentioned about his attitude, summer, etc. doesn't change the fact that he needs passing options and movement to have a good game.

Someone mentioned Hazard having a better impact - well yeah, he's very potent physically and excels in one on ones, of course he did well against our underwhelming defence.

Özil just can't do that, ever. He's not that kind of player unfortunately.

In the future, if we're gonna play with pace and on the counter, he's still our best option in the middle. He (almost) always seems to find the best option in attack.

shootxhakashoot

maybe he is a little pissed off, that they told him Wenger was leaving, after he had signed.
I'd be very surprised if he wasn't told and if he didn't ask before signing that sort of shows where his priorities lay at the time ie £££ for his last big contract in the big time. Pretty empty statement that and the fact he has been coasting for Arsenal ever since signing again show where his priorities lie and its not putting in a last big hurrah for Arsenal football club atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom