Mesut Özil: ScapeGOAT

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by blaze_of_glory, Jan 6, 2016.

1. OSBK

OSBK Well-Known Member

He is a amazing player but he aint a arsenal player.

Cesc in his prime was not just a number 10 but he made us play beautiful football, he was the integral cog that allowed us to play that football. Özil is a number 10 who will create as much as cesc but cannot make the team play to the higher standard to which cesc did.

Watching city play and watching silva run the show is what we had and need, the tech players who played beyond standard and were able to run games just by playing stunning football.

Jojoba likes this.
  2. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

How else do you measure a #10?

3. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

By playing very well like he was earlier in the season, when he still wasn't racking up numbers. If you're world class and you're playing fantastically, numbers will come at some point. But when they're not, you're still causing havoc and bringing the best out of others.

Maybe I'm a hipster.

Jojoba and American_Gooner like this.
  4. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Yeah I agree and he didn't really play as a 10 the last few months with Wilshere there , constantly dropped deep to outnumber midfield .

Jury and krackpot like this.
  5. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

this game he looked like he was playing at his worst deliberately, and refused to cross the ball.

maybe he is the one who wants wenger out?

6. Raicore

Raicore Member

Lacklustre performance.. disappointed

7. TakeChillPill

TakeChillPill Well-Known Member

Can't be too critical of him right now, considering how **** everyone else is playing.

8. Ricardinho

Ricardinho Well-Known Member

He's a proper wimp. If only there was a way to instill bergkamp type grit to combine with his talent. As one of the senior players and the wage he's on, he really needs to stand up and be counted.

Brown Gooner likes this.
  9. infinium

infinium Well-Known Member

When you have to play with dross like Walcott and Giroud what do you expect ... oh wait

2UpFrontIsEnuf and Brown Gooner like this.
  10. NieThePiet

NieThePiet Part Time Werder Bremen Fan

That's why you don't give new contracts to player in his age. Wenger knew it. #WengerIn

He did it, because of the pressure from the fans.

11. Beksl

Beksl Well-Known Member

Do you seriously believe this?

12. Wilshere1010

Wilshere1010 Well-Known Member

Don't think Wenger does anything he doesn't want to do.

13. NieThePiet

NieThePiet Part Time Werder Bremen Fan

Wanted to be ironic, sry.

14. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians

What a load of tripe.

15. Jojoba

Jojoba Well-Known Member

The most overrated, overhyped Arsenal player I have ever seen in my decades of being a gooner. Good player but that is about it. I would take the likes of Cesc, Rvp, Rosicky, Diaby, Hleb, Nasri etc over him any time.

16. Jury

I think you can. You always can, regardless. He was the only one on top of his game not long ago. The only difference to now is, he's not anymore. For whatever reason, he's just poor again. Our only real world class player isn't showing up.

17. Jury

I definitely think he exploited the situation. He knew the club had to do their best to keep him after Alexis left, and the club had to do their best to save face with the fan base. I'm inclined to think the club wanted to pacify the fans and save face as a super club by hanging on to Mesut Özil the world class, world cup winning super star, more than they wanted to keep Mesut Özil the footballer.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Jojoba and Crocrodile like this.
  18. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

What's alarming is he has been technically poor, touch , passing decision making have been off.

19. Jury

They're only human, and form is what it is, I suppose. It's pretty unfortunate that he's dropped off at this point though. Terrible timing on a few levels.

celestis likes this.
  20. Rex Banner

Rex Banner Massive SAFophile Trusted

Did a few Ross Barkley specials today. Just dribbled head down into blind alleys.

celestis likes this.