• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we ever had such a marmite player as Özil? Starts with armfuls of assists, even scores, then starts drifting through games. Suddenly he's labelled lazy, has body language issues, and called a luxury.

Thought we would do something similar to the way Chelsea use Hazard and Pedro with Özil and Sanchez i.e more central and difficult to pick up.

Our version saw Özil on the right and Sanchez more to the left. Not sure this benefits either of them. Would rather see Sanchez up front, Iwobi on the inside left, and Özil on the inside right coming central. Played more like a right winger than an attacking mid yesterday.

Impact

Established Member
A bit tired of the rhetoric about Özil. It's certainly true that he has been poor in some games this season and perhaps not decisive enough for a player of his stature in others. However, comments like he is lazy etc baffle me.

We don't have a harder working player in our attack than Özil. With Giroud up top, he had to play the role of two men. Özil yesterday was both our main playmaker and our prime outlet. It's no wonder he was shattered a few times when he got the ball. He went through so much running. Tracking back as well as offering an option in attack.

Alexis looks like he runs a lot more because he does most of his running dribbling with the ball or chasing the ball directly in defence at high intensity. Most of us watch football focused on where the ball is, so our perception of him is very positive. This is not a criticism as I love Alexis. Just a comment as to why we think what we think about him. It's why many of us were surprised when Wenger came out and stated that he had been running less in the past few games according to the Arsenal recorded stats.

It's the opposite with Özil. On the ball is when Özil is most at rest as he relies on his vision and technique to make an impact rather than his physical attributes. Off the ball, he is always moving but again, seeing as we focus on the ball, we don't notice this running as much. And it's this off the ball movement that is pivotal to our game. It's why he always seems to be free in the final third: either to receive the ball in a dangerous position or to help recycle possession.

Guardiola could not have put it any better when he said, "When you watch the game, you don't see Mesut Özil but when you watch Mesut Özil you see the whole game."

Top player.

mm76

Yer Da
We don't have a harder working player in our attack than Özil. With Giroud up top, he had to play the role of two men. Özil yesterday was both our main playmaker and our prime outlet. It's no wonder he was shattered a few times when he got the ball. .

Yes, I think Giroud's fans don't appreciate what it places on the other forward players when you've somebody so immobile up front
Özil does make some pretty poor errors though at times, for someone at his supposed level
Nice quote from Guardiola

say yes

forum master baiter
A bit tired of the rhetoric about Özil. It's certainly true that he has been poor in some games this season and perhaps not decisive enough for a player of his stature in others. However, comments like he is lazy etc baffle me.

We don't have a harder working player in our attack than Özil. With Giroud up top, he had to play the role of two men. Özil yesterday was both our main playmaker and our prime outlet. It's no wonder he was shattered a few times when he got the ball. He went through so much running. Tracking back as well as offering an option in attack.

Alexis looks like he runs a lot more because he does most of his running dribbling with the ball or chasing the ball directly in defence at high intensity. Most of us watch football focused on where the ball is, so our perception of him is very positive. This is not a criticism as I love Alexis. Just a comment as to why we think what we think about him. It's why many of us were surprised when Wenger came out and stated that he had been running less in the past few games according to the Arsenal recorded stats.

It's the opposite with Özil. On the ball is when Özil is most at rest as he relies on his vision and technique to make an impact rather than his physical attributes. Off the ball, he is always moving but again, seeing as we focus on the ball, we don't notice this running as much. And it's this off the ball movement that is pivotal to our game. It's why he always seems to be free in the final third: either to receive the ball in a dangerous position or to help recycle possession.

Guardiola could not have put it any better when he said, "When you watch the game, you don't see Mesut Özil but when you watch Mesut Özil you see the whole game."

Top player.

Brilliant post.

mm76

Yer Da
Still just a white box, I can view other videos!

here's the link without any hyperlinking - try copying it into a new browser window

note i just put a space in between 'http' and the rest of it, so it doesn't automatically create a link - so you need to delete that space

http s://streamable.com/2znzp

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Worst thing you could possibly do as an Arsenal player is do too much. People go full circle on you and end up under appreciated. Weird.

Do less, less often, and be the golden boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom