<

Mesut Özil: These Öz Ain't Loyal

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Aug 18, 2020.

?

Why do you believe he's been left out?

1. Just football reasons

2. Criticism of China

3. Paycut refusal

4. A bit of everything

5. Mods should ban kash2 from the thread

6. Mods should ban Oxeki and Jury from the forum

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikelHadADream

MikelHadADream Well-Known Member

The problem is that even Özil at his very best (2015) didn't warrant that contract. You only pay that sort of money to goalscorers that win matches on their own imo.

All round it was just a terrible bit of mismanagement from that charlatan Gazidis.

lamby22, musoke, Mrs Bergkamp and 2 others like this.
  2. Macho

Macho Established Member Trusted

You've said this multiple times, but we definitely had a gun to our heads.

- Our actual talisman, Sanchez was on his way out
    - Fans, pundits and media in general all said it would be a travesty if we allowed this guy to leave - we were still wounded by Cesc and Nasri
    - Özil has admitted he had offers to go elsewhere. He was also in great form in his final year of his contract

Pretty much couldn't have more guns to our heads if it was possible. We were absolutely held over a barrel and his new contract made sense at the time.

3. Oxeki

Oxeki New Threads, Old Tweets

He's been inconsistent. Even in his best season where he had 18 assists, he was crap in the second half of the season where he only had like 2 assists or something.

Özil has never been consistent here. Ever since he came here there have been lots of criticism aimed at him. If he was playing well consistently, he would have shut his detractors up. But he wasn't.

Okay. Give me your facts on when Özil was last consistent over a season

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  4. Oxeki

Whats with the thread title?

Jury and Makavelii like this.
  5. Oxeki

It would take a decade to fully recover.

RacingPhoton likes this.
  6. Finesse

Finesse Well-Known Member

Fisrt statement correct.
    If this is what you think , then believe the gun is still there. Be patient till June. Freedom is coming.

7. Oxeki

But he has mentally checked out. We gave him that contract due to the form he showed in about 8 games prior to him signing that contract. But we never could have guessed that he would mentally retire.

Paddy from Sweden and Makavelii like this.
  8. Finesse

Finesse Well-Known Member

Correct Oxeki. You should respect the contract and try to get the best out of him. If we are crying foul we are not getting return on investment , then how does complete isolation improve the situation.

Özil is no longer the Özil we knew. Rightly so and he is ageing. However is he that bad so much so we cannot get minutes from him in a League Cup game?

The mental retirement is in your own head. Pre covid he was not mentally retired . He just decided to retire post lockdown. At least give him games to show the fans post lockdown he is in a care home !

kash2 likes this.
  9. UpTheGunnerz

UpTheGunnerz Attention Seeker

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Özil shouting "walla you are not a coach" to Don Emery and getting away with it will hurt forever

kash2 likes this.
  10. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

I’m taking it as an invite to absolutely tee-off on him! Is this the green light, mods? Shall I begin the ceremony?

Oxeki likes this.
  11. Oxeki

Of course he's mentally retired. His performance went to shít immediately he put pen to paper. He's never been the same since.

It's not like he was even playing well post covid. He was just doing the bare minimum and his fans were wetting themselves.

12. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

[​IMG]

It's a pointless discussion because I can say Özil played well against xyz, and somebody will say he didn't. Even in his best season, @Jury said he did nothing all game except for 1 or 2 good passes that ended up as assists. It's clear that people have different definitions of what constitutes a good game for him.

13. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

Doubt it. Will have just been put in to keep him until after transfer window shuts

14. vantoure

vantoure Well-Known Member

New day, new win. Can't stop winning :drool:

kash2 likes this.
  15. avalonhse

avalonhse Well-Known Member

Sound all like excuses. The root cause should be bad management from the top. We should deal with these before they enter their final year of contract. I believe Wenger soft treatment hold some account for it.

kash2 likes this.
  16. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

8 million bonus ..... to think there were posters lauding Ivan.
    Well at least we know the club saves a heap of money in bonuses according to Ornstein anyways. That’s a believable reason as to why he was left out.

8 ****ing million , could have given it to Aouars brother

17. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

It is bad management, but by all accounts Wenger was against the size of the contract

18. drippin

drippin Well-Known Member

I'd want to know the quote from Ornstein about this? What kind of sums has he mentioned?

19. Blood on the Tracks

Blood on the Tracks Well-Known Member

Players must look back when they're older and think 'Did I make the most of my abilities in my career?'

Just for comparison there was 1 year between us signing Özil and Giroud. I can't question that Özil is the more talented player, but look at what Giroud has done in his career. Didn't play in the top tier of French football till he was 24. Earned a move to England. Never been the most fashionable player but always worked his way back into the starting 11 when he was dropped....Now he's France's second top scorer ever and could quite possibly became their number 1 scorer, overtaking Henry's tally. No-one could ever question that Giroud has got absolutely everything out of his ( somewhat limited ) abilities. There will be nothing for him to look back on his career with regret when he's an old man. That's a career to be proud of.

If you could put Özil's natural abilities with the mindset, desire to improve and work ethic of a player like Giroud, you'd have one of the best players in the world.

Unfortunately I think Özil has always been happy to coast by on his natural abilities and do the bare minimum. I think when he looks back on his career he's really going to regret these last 2-3 years, if he really does care about his football beyond the financial aspect, at this point.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  20. Paddy from Sweden

Paddy from Sweden Active Member

And he waited until the last six months to sign. So at that time he could've signed for free with another club. Plenty of guns to our head I would say.

Macho, Oxeki and Blood on the Tracks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.