• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'm from the UK too :) To be fair, a 1.2 second difference in the world record from Seb's day to now is quite a margin of improvement considering the race is only 100 seconds or so long.

If you google the list of World Records in Athletics, out of the 42 events, only 2 world records stand from the 80's, The Discus and Javelin, both by East Germans, which given their record with doping makes their world records highly dubious.

In comparison 6 new world records have been set this year alone even with all the Coronavirus stuff going on.
You're talking about circa 1% change though. If footballers are running 1% faster or 1% more, these are not the sort of changes that will make a huge difference to the game, is all I'm saying. To pontificate that the Liverpool team now would smash the Liverpool dominating team of the 70s or Klitschko with his more modern training methods would knockout Ali in the first round is all too easy. I still think the invincibles team would take some beating, even today.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
I don't see how we can compare the stars of the 70s and 80s to today.

For all the talk about how drunk and unfit they all were back then compared to the physical specimens we have now. They would all be on the same fitness programs today. If they could do what they did, pissed to the eyeballs, imagine what they'd be like in the modern game.

Moreover, I think personal responsibility comes into it. Look at how unfit Rooney was every offseason when he was playing for the biggest club in world football, during their most successful period. How many players have been caught with a cigarette in their mouth in public? Lord knows what they do behind closed doors. Messi famously isn't the most strict with his diet. Yet, Rooney was pretty amazing for a while there.

Maradona.

Mrssi, ronaldo, neymar etc dont even come close. He was forged on the streets. These days players are lab grown.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Neymar was very much a street baller as well, why would you say that :lol:

Along with a lot of the French players with Algerian/African descent.

I will give you Messi though, definitely lab grown ttkk.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You're talking about circa 1% change though. If footballers are running 1% faster or 1% more, these are not the sort of changes that will make a huge difference to the game, is all I'm saying. To pontificate that the Liverpool team now would smash the Liverpool dominating team of the 70s or Klitschko with his more modern training methods would knockout Ali in the first round is all too easy. I still think the invincibles team would take some beating, even today.

There are plenty of examples of world records set in different events in the 80's that would be in no way competitive in 2020 for elite athletes looking for medals though, so I'm not sure you can draw too much of a conclusion based on just Seb Coe and the 800 metres.

I'd argue that there are many more facets and thus opportunities to improve that go into making a top class footballer as compared to an 800 metre runner, not to denigrate 800 metre runners. Footballs just a much more complex sport with more variables to my eyes.

But I do think that Klitschko pre retirement would beat Ali, if Klitschko was facing a time travelling Ali. If he were facing an Ali born in 1985 I'd likely think very differently.

I struggle to think of any sport where the quality was better in the distant past as compared to the current day,. That's my issue with this line of thinking. I could be wrong but to me it's feels more like looking back with nostalgia at the past.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
^ the same guy who was saying current Liverpool was better ladies and gentleman.

He also said and I quote... "it would be a 50/50 game", when comparing Arsenal 2004 and Sp**s 2017.

Christ, we haven’t moved on that much from 2004! Are you taking the piss? ‘Even today!’, he says :lol:

A lot of our English players (the ones who didn't play in the Invincible side) say the 1998 team would beat our 2004 team...would be an interesting game to watch.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
We would have only needed to turn it on for 20 minutes and the game would be done. This is the weakest era since the PL began.

Does anyone think that teams nowadays chase scoring records and points records more than teams in the past?

I felt Ferguson teams used to take their foot off the gas completely when the league was won. Same for us during Wenger's first period.

Now I feel like teams are going hell for leather to get 100+ points. Or has the quality of the league dropped that much?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Christ, we haven’t moved on that much from 2004! Are you taking the piss? ‘Even today!’, he says :lol:
2004 the oligarchs hadn't yet impacted on the EPL assembling the richest teams in the world. Chelsea was about to outspend Arsenal by a factor of 10 and City create the first £1bn 25 man squad. These teams were minnows when the invincibles won the league.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Does anyone think that teams nowadays chase scoring records and points records more than teams in the past?

I felt Ferguson teams used to take their foot off the gas completely when the league was won. Same for us during Wenger's first period.

Now I feel like teams are going hell for leather to get 100+ points. Or has the quality of the league dropped that much?
There's just a bigger gap between the have's and have nots, so 100 points is more achievable.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You know when I was growing up Brazil had Ronaldo, Romario, Rivaldo, Juninho, Denilson, Edmundo etc, you look at Brazil now, after Neymar you’ll have a generation of beep test merchants and guys like Oscar, Willian, Fabinho etc, guys who can run all day and play multiple positions etc.

Football is dead when man like Mesut are pushed out.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

They are definitely more aware than they were years ago. Mainstream and social media get on the ‘new invincibles’ talk and start the comparisons with ours as soon as someone goes unbeaten in 10 games ffs. I remember talkSPORT having a phone in poll on whether that dogshit Man Utd side that last won the league were better than the invincibles when after they’d hoofed their way to 20 odd unbeaten :lol:

**** off!

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
You know when I was growing up Brazil had Ronaldo, Romario, Rivaldo, Juninho, Denilson, Edmundo etc, you look at Brazil now, after Neymar you’ll have a generation of beep test merchants and guys like Oscar, Willian, Fabinho etc, guys who can run all day and play multiple positions etc.

Football is dead when man like Mesut are pushed out.
You see this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom