• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I don't see how it is the law. There is a contract. The club pays him money and he plays when the club wants him to play. If the club decides against playing him, he can do nothing about it.
If you call this intimidating the player, players not signing contract extension till the last year is also intimidation. Didn't he do all the stunt to land a big money contract?
Now it's the club/manager's decision not to play him and he has to put up with it.
Again, it's the non-registration which is potentially actionable and it is the threat of not registering him which could be construed as intimidation.

We forget that footballers are PROFESSIONALS not merely EMPLOYEES (like poor old Gunnersaurus) and are entitled to be treated as such. If he registered and not picked well that's the manager's prerogative, if he not registered on a whim from the Board or whoever it is a different matter.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
A fist bump!!!

Disappointed by the lack of jizz flowing in this thread in a anticipation of him playing v City.... Once bitten? Oh, but what if plays again?.... Will this mean more revision on the ‘hEs nOt PlaYiNg coZ tHE hE sAid nO tO tHe wAGe CuT’ theory?

Back and forth you go :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I despise this victim mentality that Özil and his supporters push. The guys earning £350k a week to do basically nothing. He knew he wasn't wanted this summer, he had the option to go somewhere else and make something of the rest of career, he chose to stay, that's his prerogative. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

Sorry, but a kid in an abusive family is a victim. A person living in a country that is getting bombed is a victim. A victim is someone who has no control over their circumstances.

A lazy footballer who had the option of changing his circumstances in the summer, with a clever PR team, earning £350k a week isn't a victim just because the club choses not to play him. Doesn't matter how much you try to spin it.

Last edited:

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Again, it's the non-registration which is potentially actionable and it is the threat of not registering him which could be construed as intimidation.

We forget that footballers are PROFESSIONALS not merely EMPLOYEES (like poor old Gunnersaurus) and are entitled to be treated as such. If he registered and not picked well that's the manager's prerogative, if he not registered on a whim from the Board or whoever it is a different matter.
Does law give a damn about the difference between a professional and employee? There are plenty of players in the payroll who will not get registered. What makes him different?

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
So there is an actual use for John Cross then? It’s still a shady, baseless assumption. Since when does his name validate anything? I’m not even sure if you’re being sarcastic or not tbh :lol:
Cross is obviously being fed information, that's why he's always parroting the official club line in the media. The question is whether that information is genuine or laced with a specific agenda. Look how Ornstein reported the story at the same time:

Whether Ornstein knew the identities or not, he clearly felt that his journalistic integrity would not allow him to publish the names. By doing so it pretty much confirms that Crossy sold his soul for continued access to the club/board. You see it with journalists in different fields and sport is no different.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Cross is obviously being fed information, that's why he's always parroting the official club line in the media. The question is whether that information is genuine or laced with a specific agenda. Look how Ornstein reported the story at the same time:

Whether Ornstein knew the identities or not, he clearly felt that his journalistic integrity would not allow him to publish the names. By doing so it pretty much confirms that Crossy sold his soul for continued access to the club/board. You see it with journalists in different fields and sport is no different.
But it still doesn’t answer where the information is coming from. It’s still on the premise that it’s coming from the club at board level when it doesn’t have to be. It can come from anywhere. It could be coming from the AFC Bell for all we know... How does he/she get their information? Come on man this is just agenda driven. It’s not in any way a fact that the big people are releasing info. It’s just theory

Moleque

You can disagree all you want, the law is the law and if they wanted to take action I believe they have an arguable case - whether it is a strong case or not is not for me to say. If a professional is prevented from exercising his profession through the actions of another party that party may have to answer for their actions in law.

What they pay the guy is irrelevant unless he has agreed to be paid that money not to play. As a professional he is entitled to expect to be given the opportunity to play, although he is not entitled to insist on playing, and the withdrawal of his registration for the entire season indicates that the decision has nothing to do with his fitness or willingness to play but with the club's anger at his decision not to leave and honour the bad contract they made.

You cannot put the blame for your bad decisions on those who benefit from them and you cannot break a contract simply because you made an error of judgement. And you cannot discriminate against or intimidate the beneficiary in the hope he will give up his rights. Negotiate or put up with the consequences.
I disagree that there is any way that Özil can sue please show me any laws to the contrary. Özil & the club have an agreement. the club continues to pay him. The club has no responsibility to play him or to even register him. They are placing no blame for their bad decision & the are honoring their contract. It is not the clubs responsibility to keep Özil's image/reputation/social media presence - that is all on Özil.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
But it still doesn’t answer where the information is coming from. It’s still on the premise that it’s coming from the club at board level when it doesn’t have to be. It can come from anywhere. It could be coming from the AFC Bell for all we know... How does he/she get their information? Come on man this is just agenda driven. It’s not in any way a fact that the big people are releasing info. It’s just theory
Journalists nowadays don't have strong links with the players anymore. It may have been the case in the past, where you had Henry Winter do a few in-depth pieces with Özil or David Hynter with Bellerin. But look what Jonathan Northcroft from the Times said in 2018:
In the same clubs are pouring more resources into their own sites and journalism, because they want to control (and monetise) the message too. Arsenal, for example, almost never give out player interviews any more because they want to keep them for Arsenal.com. This is a big threat to independent football writing.
John Cross has barely any access to the players, everything he gets comes from the club itself.

Ifly_Gooner

I hope he's used at least for the games where we dominate possession and don't create much.. a 4231 line up.. With Partey, Ceballos/Xhaka as the double pivot and Özil ahead of them would be pretty exciting.. I still believe he's one of the most gifted players in our squad.. Hope he turns a corner soon :\

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

You see, it’s this one eyed view of the situation that does me… How do you know it wasn’t other players who leaked this; players on a lot less money or even youthteam players – anybody below board level, which has become strangely normal to assume? :lol:
Because why would a player only leak Özil's name?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Journalists nowadays don't have strong links with the players anymore. It may have been the case in the past, where you had Henry Winter do a few in-depth pieces with Özil or David Hynter with Bellerin. But look what Jonathan Northcroft from the Times said in 2018:

John Cross has barely any access to the players, everything he gets comes from the club itself.
How do you know that? And how do you know that he isn’t getting information from somebody who is getting it from a player?

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Why not? He’s the biggest earner... There are loads of possible motives, none of which we are privy to. You have to face it, it’s baseless. But it fits a certain agenda so you’d obviously run with it without questioning its authenticity,
Again I think you're ignoring the obvious answer and focusing on the fact we can't prove anything.

It's not an agenda it's opinion formed from a mixture of fact and theory that I've stuck to consistently. Dangerously close to the definition of agenda I know but I haven't pulled this out of thin air. :lol:

We all know the club have been trying to offload Özil
If we believe Özil's interview, they've tried their best to force him out the club which. They make him train alone sometimes by delaying his return from injury and so on.

If the club dropping him as soon as he refused a paycut wasn't circumstantial enough then the interview pretty much confirmed that this isn't a performance related thing. Although Willock and co playing ahead of him should be more than enough evidence to prove that. So yeah amidst everything else I think it's not completely baseless to say that the club knew what they were doing only leaking Özil's name, he's our highest earner .

When we have no facts we have to go off probability and down the route of the most likely explanation based on what we do know. We all agree that it's Özil vs the club at the moment so why do we think the club is innocent in all this? You think he's really coming at them just because he's not playing?

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
both know they are being filmed, and both know the game they are engaged in

Ehhh, the longer video shows way more context. Looks like they're all having fun together and he happens to walk by Arteta and says hi so to speak.

It is curious that some of the most hated players in the club (El Neny, Mustafi, and Özil) are grouped together for the sessions and are having a grand ol time with just themselves..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom