• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Arteta's opinion of Özil is pretty clear going by that quote
He doubled down when speaking about another player too, said pretty much the same thing. Can’t imagine there’s any way back if it’s like that. It looks quite deep.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He doubled down when speaking about another player too, said pretty much the same thing. Can’t imagine there’s any way back if it’s like that. It looks quite deep.
Stop worrying man, Özil isn’t coming back. Don’t know why you’re still so stressed like this matey.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Thats fine, but 1.5m would've been peanuts for the valuation if it is truly 'one of the hottest startups in the world.' As a reference, typically any true 'hot' SaaS profitable company would receive seed funding at valuations near $1-8B dollars where the VC firm is raising anywhere between $150-300M in capital. This firm obviously doesn't play in that game but I'd argue from a strategic stand point, Özil could do a lot better.

We just needed 1.5m and they gave it. At that point we were just a promising startup. Almost a year later we are among the hottest startups.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I've avoided posting about this Özil issue during my time here thus far, even though, being a Turkish person, the Uyghur and Erdoğan controversies are much closer to me than the average AM poster and I have strong opinions about both of them. I'll give my two cents here though.

The loud pro-Özil crowd consists of two strands: People who support him because of his outspokenness about the Uyghur issue in China, and those who do because of his sympathies toward the Turkish president Erdoğan. You also have the ones who overlap, of course. His footballing prowess is an absolute non-factor as you've rightly noticed. The Özil brigade online thinks he's being persecuted for his beliefs and want him playing for that reason only, and it's not even a principled stance about club policy, it's a direct alignment of beliefs. Özil actively cultivated this image, especially while playing for Germany, to avoid football-based criticism by playing the persecution card. That is very insidious behavior.

As I said, I have my own opinions about the aforementioned controversies, and opinions about Özil as a person and Özil as a football player. From the footballing respect, I think Özil doesn't deserve to play because he's unmotivated to play football at a high level. The club may feel that Özil is simply not worth the baggage he brings, and I think they are correct in that regard. Things would've played out differently if Özil was someone like Aubameyang from a footballing perspective.
I don't like Erdogan's policies. I am not interested in players' political views - although it is only fair to point out that all premiership players are currently being forced into supporting a political campaign. I am not even pro-Özil other than in the sense I am pro all Arsenal players.

What I am is against wasting money which our club cannot afford, due to its incompetent and avaricious owners, on paying a player a record £350,000 a week but deciding he is not good enough to play any part in our premiership or Europa League campaigns way into the future. If it is for reasons of fitness or form.... is Arteta able to see into the future and know in August that a player will be unfit or out of form four months into the future? And to which other players are these powers of clairvoyance being applied?

Which goes to say there is another reason for this debacle but the fans are not thought to be worthy of the club's confidence. This almost certainly means the reason is not one the fans would consider acceptable. So we have innuendo and suggestion but no-one in the entire hierarchy has the cojones to come out with the truth, whatever that might be.

Last edited:

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
I don't like Erdogan's policies. I am not interested in players' political views - although it is only fair to point out that all premiership players are currently being forced into supporting a political campaign. I am not even pro-Özil other than in the sense I am pro all Arsenal players.

What I am is against wasting money which our club cannot afford, due to its incompetent and avaricious owners, on paying a player a record £350,000 a week but deciding he is not good enough to play any part in our premiership or Europa League campaigns way into the future. If it is for reasons of fitness or form.... is Arteta able to see into the future and know in August that a player will be unfit or out of form four months into the future? And to which other players are these powers of clairvoyance being applied?

Which goes to say there is another reason for this debacle but the fans are not thought to be worthy of the club's confidence. This almost certainly means the reason is not one the fans would consider acceptable. So we have innuendo and suggestion but no-one in the entire hierarchy has the cojones to come out with the truth, whatever that might be.

Hmmm interesting choice of words, I’ve got a guess at to what you’re referring to, but do tell explicitly what are you referring to here @Mo Britain?

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The loud pro-Özil crowd consists of two strands: People who support him because of his outspokenness about the Uyghur issue in China, and those who do because of his sympathies toward the Turkish president Erdoğan. You also have the ones who overlap, of course.
Özil's pro-Erdogan stance has gone down really poorly in Germany. Especially with the timing of it becoming more outspoken following the rows in 2017. I thought at the beginning that Özil really didn't understand what he was doing and that he was being used or steered by people around him. That being of Turkish extraction he felt it was his duty or that he felt flattered by the adulation. Now I am not so sure anymore.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Fair, but what does Özil bring to the table to the emerging markets? Also their portfolio isn't sexy for the insane growth we've seen from emerging SaaS markets.
Seed VC's never have so called "sexy" companies on their portfolios. Their target is small risk high reward, which is fairly assured with smart pickings considering the size of the investment. Also seed VCs usually invest for a medium term, so 1-2 years and then exit. It's the safest bet VC class with high hedging and diversification spectrums.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Fair, but what does Özil bring to the table to the emerging markets? Also their portfolio isn't sexy for the insane growth we've seen from emerging SaaS markets.
True. SaaS and cloud security has exploded.

Although I have reservations about SaaS. They are fcuking building us all up for SkyNet. Ain't gonna be long now.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
True. SaaS and cloud security has exploded.

Although I have reservations about SaaS. They are fcuking building us all up for SkyNet. Ain't gonna be long now.

"We don't know who struck first, us or them, but we know that it was us that scorched the sky. At the time, they were dependent on solar power and it was believed that they would be unable to survive without an energy source as abundant as the sun."

daron christie

I don’t know why this thread isn’t locked...he has as much chance playing for us this season as messi......

This thread is just a FAN BOY ....distraction away from supporting the players that are able to help us achieve something this season....

waste of energy LOCK

funny how the last two weeks has seen the teams worst performances in line with Özil yapping his gums contributing nothing and distracting the team and fan base...he’s cancer cut him OUT

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
"We don't know who struck first, us or them, but we know that it was us that scorched the sky. At the time, they were dependent on solar power and it was believed that they would be unable to survive without an energy source as abundant as the sun."
giphy.gif

Terminator 2 was when the whole world became an adult.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Jury defo checks this thread first thing in the morning while sipping on his breakfast Monster Energy/Red Bull if he’s feeling rich.
I don’t touch any energy drinks tbh. Absolute filth. A good strong Greggs coffee in the morning gives me sufficient piss-boiling energy to last at least half a day in this thread
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom