• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Evra put pressure on Ljunberg today as they are both on pundit duties on sky.

Ljunberg gave nothing away and Evra concluded “it must be a problem with the club, not player and manager but Freddie doesn’t want to say why.”

Ljunberg admitted games like City away there’s no use for Özil but games at home where teams play the low block, he would use him.

My own conclusion is it’s easier to axe him entirely cause of footballing reasons, but is that the actual reason? Ofcourse not - he should be playing or coming off the bench for sure.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Evra put pressure on Ljunberg today as they are both on pundit duties on sky.

Ljunberg gave nothing away and Evra concluded “it must be a problem with the club, not player and manager but Freddie doesn’t want to say why.”

Ljunberg admitted games like City away there’s no use for Özil but games at home where teams play the low block, he would use him.

My own conclusion is it’s easier to axe him entirely cause of footballing reasons, but is that the actual reason? Ofcourse not - he should be playing or coming off the bench for sure.

appearance clause i bet. nothing else fits. Usually the simplest explanation is the right one and most decisions are based on money. Otherwise they would have stuck him in the milk cup and europa away games and let him rot there.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

appearance clause i bet. nothing else fits. Usually the simplest explanation is the right one and most decisions are based on money. Otherwise they would have stuck him in the milk cup and europa away games and let him rot there.
I’ve been saying this and this seems like the most plausible reason.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I’ve been saying this and this seems like the most plausible reason.

Then this begs the question of why would Özil and his agent lock a portion of his salary behind any appearance clause?

Wouldn't you set up a deal that ensures you collect as much money as possible on a yearly basis.

An appearance clauses makes sense for an Aubameyang that is always fit and always play, not for a sick note like RVP or Özil who has only played more than 30 league games for us in a season twice.

If you want to argue that the club could have demanded one, remember Özil had us over a barrel then. It's not like he was a 32 year old Louis Saha who had a career littered with injuries and had to take whatever was on offer.

His base salary has to be closer to the 350k than not, which means if any clause does exist, the club are probably only saving 10k the maximum.

Kav

Established Member
Then this begs the question of why would Özil and his agent lock a portion of his salary behind any appearance clause?

Wouldn't you set up a deal that ensures you collect as much money as possible on a yearly basis.

An appearance clauses makes sense for an Aubameyang that is always fit and always play, not for a sick note like RVP or Özil who has only played more than 30 league games for us in a season twice.

If you want to argue that the club could have demanded one, remember Özil had us over a barrel then. It's not like he was a 32 year old Louis Saha who had a career littered with injuries and had to take whatever was on offer.

His base salary has to be closer to the 350k than not, which means if any clause does exist, the club are probably only saving 10k the maximum.
Maybe he genuinely liked the club and felt like he could save the club some money by making a larger portion appearance based. It is not like he needed the extra money as his base salary was already high. Sometimes when people make decisions it is because they are in a good place. Perhaps both Arsenal and Özil were in a good place at the time of the contract, perhaps he really saw himself retiring here and wanted to show his loyalty by reducing his base salary request.

I am of course speculating,it could also be poor negotiating on behalf of his agent. Guaranteed money is always better than speculative money.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Maybe he genuinely liked the club and felt like he could save the club some money by making a larger portion appearance based. It is not like he needed the extra money as his base salary was already high. Sometimes when people make decisions it is because they are in a good place. Perhaps both Arsenal and Özil were in a good place at the time of the contract, perhaps he really saw himself retiring here and wanted to show his loyalty by reducing his base salary request.

I am of course speculating,it could also be poor negotiating on behalf of his agent. Guaranteed money is always better than speculative money.

I don't buy it, Özil is one of the smoothest operators the club has ever had. It's the fact that this could all truly be his fault but thanks to his PR team he still has people onside.

Plus most footballers don't have an altruistic bone in their body. The only time they take speculative money over guaranteed is if they have no choice. Well if the choice is take it or be left without a club (sick notes and guys over 30). Özil was neither when he signed that contract.

Kav

Established Member
Willian took a pay cut to come to Arsenal because he wanted to stay in London. Players don't always focus on the money.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
also i feel the club threatened him every six months that they would freeze him out if he didnt agree to a transfer/paycut and then panicked and played him eventually. This time Arteta washed his hands off this drama and told thr board, either officially cut him from the squad or let me play him whenever I want.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It was reported that his base wage was 120k and the 250k figures in the press was a result of calculating his sign on bonus as a weekly wage.

Yeah. So either way his contract is worth more to him here than it was at Chelsea. Again I repeat less weekly wage over a longer guaranteed contract is worth more than slightly higher wage over shorter period of time.

Kav

Established Member
Yeah. So either way his contract is worth more to him here than it was at Chelsea. Again I repeat less weekly wage over a longer guaranteed contract is worth more than slightly higher wage over shorter period of time.

You are making a big assumption here. Your argument only holds up if you know for sure that he was offered the same amount at Chelsea. Since we do not know what the offer was at Chelsea we can't make that deduction.

For example if he offered 250k pw at Chelsea for 2 years he would make 26 Million. Versus 120k pw at Arsenal for 3 years making him 18Million.

It all depends on a variable we have no information about so its pointless speculating.

GDeep™

League is very weak
“Off the field leader and influence” Luiz missed the game today to celebrate the birth of his daughter. Some of us killed Özil for that, didn’t we @Jury .

:rofl:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I don't think it's strange at all, considering the context. I was trying to understand where he was coming from. People began following the club for different reasons. Could be because you moved to London, could be because when you were a kid you were in awe of The Invincibles, could be that you liked the Wengerball brand of football, maybe you were drawn the class and respectability of the club, maybe it's our club's ability to develop exciting youth players, etc.

Then to take further, why this is relevant... I think people begin to kick and scream when the club moves away from an identity that they admire. So if we don't play attacking football while developing structure and defense, people feel that things are terribly wrong. Or at the prospect of hiring Mourinho as a coach (the antithesis of respectability). Or that we can't contend for titles anymore. Or that we prioritize the signing of washed up Chelsea players.

These are disturbing things that disrupt the club's identity. But these are also things that narrow the rules of operating Arsenal and solutions to our salvation.
Think I understand your point and I don’t really disagree. Thanks for clarifying.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You are making a big assumption here. Your argument only holds up if you know for sure that he was offered the same amount at Chelsea. Since we do not know what the offer was at Chelsea we can't make that deduction.

For example if he offered 250k pw at Chelsea for 2 years he would make 26 Million. Versus 120k pw at Arsenal for 3 years making him 18Million.

It all depends on a variable we have no information about so its pointless speculating.

There would be 130k a week of a difference playing for Chelsea and Arsenal. Considering I read than Ben Chilwells Chelsea's highest earning on around 180-190k a week they wouldnt have been offering Willian 250k.

Kav

Established Member
There would be 130k a week of a difference playing for Chelsea and Arsenal. Considering I read than Ben Chilwells Chelsea's highest earning on around 180-190k a week they wouldnt have been offering Willian 250k.

I can't say what he would have earned had he signed.Who knows. Anyway heading back to the matchday thread where we are getting slaughtered by a promoted team. Fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom