<

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Aug 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

You posted "Arsenal is slowly destroying the clubs classy reputation that Wenger strived so hard to build for us." but the club was well known for class before the great man Wenger arrived. It doesn't matter how many times you try to spin it a different way, that fact is not going to change my brother.

Anyway....back to Özil!

2. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Planes, Trains & Social Media Rants

You can’t romanticise plain facts. His statistics speak for themselves up to 2015/16 before the fans decided 2nd to Leicester wasn’t good enough and took matters into their own hands. The rest is history. Here we are bottom half of the table before Christmas.

He’s not coming back, nor should he. He took enough abuse last time.

3. Blood on the Tracks

Blood on the Tracks Well-Known Member

I was pro Wenger till his final day. At the end of the day it was the majority of the fanbase that pushed him out of the door and decided he wasn't good enough anymore, whether rightly or wrongly. As fans we've all got to live with the consequences. It's hypocritical for them to start wishing he was still here now, or saying he'd do a better job.

I was relieved when Wenger eventually left too, for his sake. It was death by 1000th cuts towards the end of his career. I was glad he didn't have to put up with it anymore.

nas7232, albakos, kash2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Maybe modern managers are wrong.

Maybe our modern manager needs to look at the Liverpool blueprint and see that the lack of creativity from midfield is replaced by technical forwards and creative fullbacks. Our attackers can barely control a football.

celestis, krackpot and OSBK like this.
  5. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Of course modern managers are wrong you see now nobody plays with number 10 it seem everyone copying what other manager do mostly managers play 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3 you see Everton they stick James in wide position in 4-4-2 formation. De Bruyne play mostly as advanced central midfielder and he originally a number 10 i blame bald pep for this everyone copying him.

celestis and krackpot like this.
  6. Multipass

Multipass Active Member

I
    I agree with this.

we essentially create a gap between the midfield two and our attackers and rely on the CF to be able hold up play and link up with wingers without a player who has that in his armoury. Would almost be better off given our team using an Özil type as a false 9 - although that didn’t work at all when we shoved William there a few weeks back.

krackpot and celestis like this.
  7. Macho

Macho Established Member Trusted

I’ve mentioned this a few times myself and statistically, I can’t see why Özil wouldn’t do a better job.

We all know about his assist potential, ball retention and distribution in short range but he’s also marginally a better goal threat in open play too. He’s played there more times than Willian too.

Was certainly worth a try but oh well.

8. razörist

It’s pretty silent in here, what’s going on?

9. Fewtch

Fewtch Ozil at 10 And Emery Out

American_Gooner likes this.
  10. Godwin1

Godwin1 Very well-known

Özil's still a spent force who's had an overall disapointing career with us, though he has had periods of brilliance. In his last two seasons he's been very poor. The general opinion seems to be shifting towards playing him though as we're that bad then what have we got to lose?

Also @Makingtrax is periodically bringing some Wenger chat in here. Just thought I'd give you a summary mate.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    freeglennhelder2 likes this.
  11. novar

novar Well-Known Member

He hasn't tweeted today, not much to talk about

12. Macho

He can no longer be blamed for what's (not) happening on the pitch.

Plus the twitter trolling as sort or resided a bit, I don't really know what happened with Piers Morgan though didn't care enough.

13. razörist

Thread used to be top of the forum all the time

krackpot likes this.
  14. krackpot

krackpot Established Member Trusted

Ozils thread should be unionized.

I'm pretty sure it will become sentient one day

15. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

16. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/26/sports/soccer/mesut-Özil-arsenal-china.html

Özil, 32, insists it is his “love” for Arsenal that keeps him there. He had opportunities to leave over the course of this summer, according to a soccer executive with knowledge of the offers, but none that appealed. The size of his salary — and perhaps his reputation as troublesome — severely limits his options, even as Arsenal is so keen to move him on that it is prepared to pay two-thirds of his contract to make it happen.

It was only in the last week that the reality of his situation set in. He had already been left out of Arsenal’s squad for this season’s Europa League — he live-tweeted its game against Rapid Vienna on Thursday night from home — when he was told he would not be in the list for the Premier League campaign, either.

With the transfer window closed until January, it is, now, too late for him to leave. Until then, at the earliest, he finds himself in soccer exile: one of his own making, of his club’s making, one that there does not seem to have a way out.

He believes it started with the tweet. Arsenal disputes that. Wherever it began, this is where it has led: 10 months later, Mesut Özil has, effectively, been erased.

17. novar

novar Well-Known Member

Özil embodies the Arsenal we are leaving behind. Creativity, exciting and memorable football, class, sticking up for your principles even if you shouldn't, being overpaid and content yourself with being good but not the absolute best.

We got 10+ years of this, it will take a while to move on (if we even want to)

18. Macho

19. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

He’s leaving in 3 months, what’s there to talk about anymore? These are the final days you can say.

Anyway, there are more interesting things to discuss, like our team not scoring in open play in the last two months, Harry Maguire having more shots than Auba, Arteta and his various inconsistencies, Willian flying off to Dubai etc.

20. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

Again, no swipes at Luiz for missing a game for his baby like there were for Özil?

Interesting ay @freeglennhelder2 ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.