• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
You literally said "when you remove his medals", why would you do that? It is part of what he achieved as a player. You blatantly wanted to ignore his contributions to fit your argument.
No you're an Özil simp and ignored the first part of my paragraph. I clearly said that his trophies at this club weren't up to scratch compared to his ability coming into Arsenal, my point is he went from a title winner to a domestic cup winner: "Yep, before he joined Arsenal. When you look at his honours during his prime years (or at least 26+ which is meant to be prime), they havent been to his level."

I then proceeded to talk about his performances for us, if you look at performances alone and forget judging a player just because we won trophies after he (and other top players) joined the club...

I explored both sides, brush up on your reading.

Last edited:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Depends on your views towards football. I remember Bobby Zamora saying he doesn't actually enjoy the sport too much, but its his career. With Özil, I do think he hasn't been too interested in football for a few years now, his eyes seem to be lighting up at other opportunities. I don't think he will care when he looks back at it, some players want to give everything they can to the game while they can so they can look back and know they did what they could do. With Özil I think he is happy with all his medals and trophies; La Liga's, a World Cup and some FA cups with Arsenal. If he cared about leaving the club in this situation, he would have gone by now.

I think you're probably right here to be fair. I don't have anything against players not loving football, at the end of the day it is a job.

At the same point he shouldn't be going around telling everyone how much he loves the clubs every 5 minutes and wants to fight for his place. He's basically here because he's sat on £350k a week and wants the easy life of semi retirement.

From his perspective I get it, even though it annoys me. Why Arsenal fans are supporting him doing this is what baffles me.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Think he’s had a fantastic career up until the last 3 years. People are desperate to discredit him but I kinda feel like the club should have made way more of Sanchez and Özil.

That was the window to cement ourselves as a big club in modern football and we missed it.

I can barely stomach what I’m seeing today tbh.
He stopped playing football in 2016 (apart from a brief period towards the end of 2017). The fact that fans are still divided on him tells you all you need to know.

Get These Hands

Off of my purse !
Think he’s had a fantastic career up until the last 3 years. People are desperate to discredit him but I kinda feel like the club should have made way more of Sanchez and Özil.

That was the window to cement ourselves as a big club in modern football and we missed it.

I can barely stomach what I’m seeing today tbh.

I'm as anti-Özil as you can get, but I do acknowledge that he was a phenomenal player in his prime, he had some great moments here, but feel he was inconsistent. Some fans have invented this narrative that he was always in top form when Wenger was manager, which couldn't be further from the truth, but he was still one of our best players.

Just think that player is long gone and what we have now is a player in semi-retirement just here for a pay cheque. What ambitious player with any kind of self-respect would gladly sit on the sidelines and not play?

His obsessive fan boys don't help either. Like I mentioned previously, there's a plethora of excuses for his poor tenure here the last 3 years when other players have been hounded out the club for a lot less.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I'm as anti-Özil as you can get, but I do acknowledge that he was a phenomenal player in his prime, he had some great moments here, but feel he was inconsistent. Some fans have invented this narrative that he was always in top form when Wenger was manager, which couldn't be further from the truth, but he was still one of our best players.

Just think that player is long gone and what we have now is a player in semi-retirement just here for a pay cheque. What ambitious player with any kind of self-respect would gladly sit on the sidelines and not play?

His obsessive fan boys don't help either. Like I mentioned previously, there's a plethora of excuses for his poor tenure here the last 3 years when other players have been hounded out the club for a lot less.
Özil has been a let down not gonna pretend, but some of the moaning and criticism just isn’t rational or from a good place.

It doesn’t matter how many people come out and say he’s been alright, the one negative thing about him his haters cling onto for vindication.

We’ve been dogsh*t this season and truth is he can’t even be blamed for it like he might have been in the past.

Kav

Established Member
People still goin on about Özil? When he was in the team he was called an example of all that was wrong with Arsenal. What will they do now that he’s out of the team and people can’t pick on him and blame him for the result or use him as an example of poor attitude on the pitch?

The critics have resorted to saying things like they need to get him out of the club as he’s setting a bad example by honouring his contract and coming to training. Jeesh the lengths people will go to make silly arguments because they dislike someone.

Now people on here are saying that we should ignore his achievements here, because out side of a few cup wins he’s not done enough. Yet these same ones will gladly say Arteta won a cup and should be given time.

These Agenda merchants are always peddling.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

People still goin on about Özil? When he was in the team he was called an example of all that was wrong with Arsenal. What will they do now that he’s out of the team and people can’t pick on him and blame him for the result or use him as an example of poor attitude on the pitch?

The critics have resorted to saying things like they need to get him out of the club as he’s setting a bad example by honouring his contract and coming to training. Jeesh the lengths people will go to make silly arguments because they dislike someone.

Now people on here are saying that we should ignore his achievements here, because out side of a few cup wins he’s not done enough. Yet these same ones will gladly say Arteta won a cup and should be given time.

These Agenda merchants are always peddling.
:lol: Easy there with creating that straw man! I would challenge you to find a single post that supports the picture you just so vividly paint. You would need to pick out individual sentences and interpret them the way you like to get to what you just described.

No to silly straw men arguments :red:!

;)

Kav

Established Member
:lol: Easy there with creating that straw man! I would challenge you to find a single post that supports the picture you just so vividly paint. You would need to pick out individual sentences and interpret them the way you like to get to what you just described.

No to silly straw men arguments :red:!

;)
Challenge accepted, See below:

Yep, before he joined Arsenal. When you look at his honours during his prime years (or at least 26+ which is meant to be prime), they havent been to his level. Also, when you remove his medals and the physical things, he has had quite a dissapointing Arsenal career given what we were expecting when he arrived and when we offered him that contract extension.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

The only thing that Özil lacks is mentality, and to be honest he's always lacked it. He's an example as far as I'm concerned as a player who's too naturally talented for his own good. He's always been able to float along on natural ability and never had to develop a strong mentality.

Throughout his career both on and off the field when the going gets tough he melts like an ice cream in the Sahara desert. You get good performances out of him, occasionally great because that's how naturally talented he is, when the goings good and he's feeling happy he'll do that. When you're on the ropes and you need an elite player to take the game by the scruff of the neck, he's nowhere to be seen.

It's the same off field too, if he faces adversity he runs away and gives up. Couldn't cope with being asked to work harder here or to adapt to what the manager wants. Runs away and gives up.

Get's some stick for his performances for Germany, albeit some probably unfair and culture based. What does he do? Buckle down and use the stick he's got to motivate him to put in great performances for Germany and shove it back in those fans faces? Nah, runs away and gives up.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Get's some stick for his performances for Germany, albeit some probably unfair and culture based. What does he do? Buckle down and use the stick he's got to motivate him to put in great performances for Germany and shove it back in those fans faces? Nah, runs away and gives up.
:lol: Lets see you do something as brave as standing up to a fricking country.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

:lol: Lets see you do something as brave as standing up to a fricking country.

I think everyone with a functioning brain agrees with what Mesut said in relation to that issue.

Totally unrelated to Mesut of course - If a hypothetical high profile footballer wants to portray himself as a human rights activist he should probably not pal around with and have a hypothetical authoritarian as the best man at his wedding. That would make the hypothetical high profile footballer look like a hypocrite.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think everyone with a functioning brain agrees with what Mesut said in relation to that issue.

Totally unrelated to Mesut of course - If a hypothetical high profile footballer wants to portray himself as a human rights activist he should probably not pal around with and have a hypothetical authoritarian as the best man at his wedding. That would make the hypothetical high profile footballer look like a hypocrite.
you try to be the best man possible. Trust me, there are a million people I would criticize before Özil.

Why are these things even brought up constantly?

He isn't in the team.

fcuk off from this thread until he plays. Turn the telly off when he is on.

Let this thread die please.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

you try to be the best man possible. Trust me, there are a million people I would criticize before Özil.

Why are these things even brought up constantly?

He isn't in the team.

fcuk off from this thread until he plays. Turn the telly off when he is on.

Let this thread die please.

Very mature response.

If you're going to bring up political things to portray Mesut in a good light, out of nowhere, you can't complain when it's turned back around on you.

Let's just leave it then.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Very mature response.

If you're going to bring up political things to portray Mesut in a good light, out of nowhere, you can't complain when it's turned back around on you.

Let's just leave it then.
you told me he ran and hid when he was criticized. I said he actually stood up for himself.

Not only you, but everyone who is posting in this thread just to post something negative about him or his career.

If you saw a dying person by the road, would you stop and kick it? That is what you guys are doing now.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

you told me he ran and hid when he was criticized. I said he actually stood up for himself.

Not only you, but everyone who is posting in this thread just to post something negative about him or his career.

If you saw a dying person by the road, would you stop and kick it? That is what you guys are doing now.

He didn't stick up for himself. You alluded to a political statement he made as evidence he wasn't a coward. I agreed that what he said was good but also alluded to something political he did that showed him up as a hypocrite. Then you got mad and told me I wasn't allowed to watch Arsenal on the TV anymore if Özil played :lol::lol:

Get a grip and stop playing the victim card for Özil.

He's not a person dying in the road getting kicked. He's a professional footballer with I would assume a better lifestyle than 99% of the people in the world. Earning £350k a week to do basically nothing. The situation is at least partially down to him.

As fans of the football club he plays for we're well within our rights to critique him and his behaviour. This forum is called Arsenal-Mania, not Özil-Mania.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

Spot on. I remember after his first season or so kind of being in denial about it but deep down knowing that he wasn't what I expected. He certainly had consistency issues. The term 'invisible' being used to describe him wasnt created out of nothing, he was majestic one game and not to be seen on others. I really don't understand why people see him as some sort of messiah that they have to protect and put on a pedastal. He hasn't been elite here, he's been good I would say (not including his final contract). I think some people are in denial, some people are "fantastic touch and technical ability" merchants without looking at effectiveness and others having some sort of other attachment or loyalty to him.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Get a grip and stop playing the victim card for Özil.

He's not a person dying in the road getting kicked. He's a professional footballer, with I would assume a better lifestyle than 99% of the people in the world. Earning £350k a week to do basically nothing. The situation is at least partially down to him.

As fans of the football club he plays for we're well within our rights to critique him and his behaviour. This forum is called Arsenal-Mania, not Özil-Mania.
He was out of the team, and we were on the verge of fighting against relegation.

We won the last two games because a little boy played as a #10, his best position. So, as a fan of the football club, you should be calling for his inclusion.

if you are a fan that is, and not the 'clowns' you were speaking about.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Challenge accepted, See below:
You didn't read my post properly, I was saying that Mesut Özil in his prime surely should have been achieving better trophy wise considering his ability. This was in reference to someone talking about how he would feel looking back at his career. So I did talk about his achievements and didn't disregard them, he did better at other sides and maybe should have gone to a bigger team than Arsenal, as he wasn't really up to the fight...

The second half of my paragraph was talking about performances alone, because its a team game and he was nowhere near solely responsible for those cup wins. He was up there but not on Alexis, Ramsey, Cazorla's level in finals. I was talking about his playing career here not his trophies here, because if we judge everything with trophies we may as well put Özil, Alexis, Ramsey, Cazorla, Xhaka, Bellerin etc on the exact same level because they all won some. Judging someone's career just because they won trophies at the club while ignoring the game to game issues he had at the club is plain delusion.

Reactions: Kav

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

He was out of the team, and we were on the verge of fighting against relegation.

We won the last two games because a little boy played as a #10, his best position. So, as a fan of the football club, you should be calling for his inclusion.

if you are a fan that is, and not the 'clowns' you were speaking about.

He was out of the team and we won the FA Cup, that proves not playing him was the correct decision by your logic. Anyone can cherry pick stats to prove a point.

Funny how that 'Little boy' as you call him showed more hunger and drive in just 2 games than Mesut's done in 2 years.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He was out of the team and we won the FA Cup, that proves not playing him was the correct decision by your logic. Anyone can cherry pick stats to prove a point.

Funny how that 'Little boy' as you call him showed more hunger and drive in just 2 games than Mesut's done in 2 years.
The world will still go round if he is not around. AFC will keep winning. Madrid won even after Ronaldo left.

I talk about playing a kid as a #10, and you immediately bring up his 'drive/desire/determination'. Özil hasn't played for 2 years, incidentally.

Funny how you bring all the arguments back to Özil. As if he has taken some loan from you and didn't return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom