• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I believe Özil wasn't well but still went in to training (remember he was injured many times under Wenger but still player, I.e. when he had his knee and back problems).

I think Emery saw Özil wasn't putting much in to training so had a go at him, maybe that resulted in an argument, Özil confirming he wasn't well. So he went home. The next morning he came in, but still wasn't feeling well and Emery said go home.

Özil might be a bit of a wuss on the pitch but I've never doubted his commitment and professionalism.

Also anyone who says we don't need him forget how **** we were against west ham.

Ramesy was dire in the no.10 role him giving the ball away in danger situations leading to a counters, IMO is worse then Özil's mediocre pressing.

I believe with torreria who is a defensive beast and Douzi who hasn't some of the best defensively stats so far this season in the league. I believe will help Özil to thrive.

Last edited:

IslingtonBornandbred

Nobody will know if him and Emery had a little bust up because it will always be swept under the carpet and these things can happen with different players through the season but one thing that irritates me a little bit is the constant release of information that he's ill.

Was the story last year that he had a bad back or that he was ill? Did it come out that he wasn't ill but had a back back? I don't know.

I just don't understand why if he did have a cold or an illness or anything similar, why didn't the club just say he had a kick on his knee and would be short for the match, or he picked up a small knock in training. Either come out and explain the whole thing and say he's ill because he's got this condition which makes him top the charts of missing games through illness or be a bit smarter with it and cover it up a little bit. It seriously does Özil no good to have it constantly publicised that he's ill, even if he is ill.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

you can be sure that he very affected about last world cup his german teammates and fa not protecting him or defending him from the racism he faced from his own nation!. Mesut will need time to move on i hope we fans/club help him to get over that.
I have followed the debate in Germany, albeit not very closely, and I struggle to see it as racist. He has been roundly criticized for not playing well in the WC and for the Erdogan mess, but that is about it. Actually think he has overall been handled fairly. Not sure what else he can expect in his position?

We see him here week in and out. I think he has some real upsides as a player but they simply don’t outweigh the weaknesses he carries. I would like to see him go. If not I hope Emery can work on him enough. Given the history he has and his current behavior I doubt it will work though.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
He isn't likely to get on with Spanish speaking Emery as he did with German speaking Wenger, who valued him when Real Madrid wanted to sell him

Now he has lost his greatest defender - but he'll get over it - he really doesn't have much choice

progman07

Established Member
Regardless of whether the bust up news are true or twitter bullsit, Özil is in a position where he must prove himself almost from zero. Awfully average last season (especially in tough games away from home), nternational failure, new manager, constant illnesses, constant discussions in the media/among fans about whether he gives 100% or not.

Today every top team presses hard up front, and no attacker has the luxury to stand still/jog without the ball. If Özil doesn't adapt, he should be replaced as soon as possible, because I don't think creation of chances will be a problem this year if we keep playing up front like we did against Chelsea and West Ham.

Personally, based on last year when we needed a push to the top4, but Özil almost never performed away from home, and the first two games this season when he completely disappeared, I would not trust him to turn it around, but I hope I will be proven wrong.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I don't know that we're ever going to know the full story here. I would like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but who really knows? I've noticed a lot of people around me are sick this week, it is pretty much the start of flu season. That said, his illnesses do often seem to come after particularly poor performances and heavy media criticism. Only he and maybe a few people at the club know the truth about what is going on. All I know is that I hope his performances improve when he is fit to play and selected. It would be a great boost to the fortunes of the team if we see the best version of Özil.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
So much non football stuff about him that it's now boring. Andy Dunn says he came off vs Chelsea "bottom lip trembling" walking slower than a man going to the gallows. He barely looked at Emery or shook his hand and the down his vest. He goes on to call gim everyone's favourite scape goat. Dunn defends Özil by saying that for Pedro's goal, it was Miki who failed to track back and that Özil is not responsible for Mustafi's "poor defending" or Bellerin's "recklessness and indiscipline". Alyson Rudd says it's up to Özil to help the manager by adapting to his style. Neil Custis says he was indulged too much by Wenger and that Emery is trying to play a different style that Özil might struggle with. Emery has all eyes on him and big shoes to fill. He has to stamp his authority on this team-in the exact way Wenger did.
Too much chatter even when he doesn't play. What the hell are we going to do?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Sounds to be going the same way as van Persie & Moyes.

**** knows how he gets out on that contract & the club demanding a fee though.

Messy situation.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Sounds to be going the same way as van Persie & Moyes.

**** knows how he gets out on that contract & the club demanding a fee though.

Messy situation.
Do what Cesc did. Take a pay cut and put up his own money. Still a mes as you say and Özil has to be smarter and stop proving his critics right.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Do what Cesc did. Take a pay cut and put up his own money. Still a mes as you say and Özil has to be smarter and stop proving his critics right.

Must be some paycut though at 29!

Should really try and get the highest paid player onside , Özil really isn't really a trouble maker and by all accounts has worked very hard in training.

I can see it working if Emery ends up playing a #10 with freedom. Cant really see Özil adapting his game much at this point though & to be fair why would you for a non CL team.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Must be some paycut though at 29!

I can see it working if Emery ends up playing a #10 with freedom. Cant really see Özil adapting his game much at this point though & to be fair why would you for a non CL team.
It would be like living on lush benefits if he took a pay cut. As for adapting his game,both Arteta and Santi changed very late under Wenger's instruction and both did a fine job. Özil like every player has played his part in us not making the CL. If he doesn't like it, he can move but no CL club will let him play his way on these wages. He has to meet Emery more than half way.

IslingtonBornandbred

Yeah it was extremely hard work without him yesterday, especially in the first half. I don't believe this crap about a buest up between Özil and Emery though, makes no sense at all.

Why? I think it always makes sense. Flashpoints can happen all the time in training, all it takes is an intense competitive 7 a side game, a player to be worked up about something, a coach to shout something to said player i.e a demand of some sort and the player to react and say something out of turn.

It makes no sense to drop the player unless it was really bad or out of line, but I wouldn't rule out a "bust up" of some sort considering they can be fairly common place behind closed doors between teammates and coaching staff.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
But on Friday, Özil missed training with a cold - believed to be the seventh time he has called in sick this year alone - and had to sit out Arsenal's 3-1 victory.
Emery said Özil left training because he was ill, not that he called in sick. John Cross you utter ****ing charlatan.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Emery said Özil left training because he was ill, not that he called in sick. John Cross you utter ****ing charlatan.

We already know Emery expects Özil to work harder, he's come out and said it before but also said it about EVERY other player. Plus I thought Özil worked hard in both the City and Chelsea match compared to what we've seen before?!

Wish Özil could catch a break from the media like he catches colds!

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm pretty confident that Emery has told Özil that he'll have to work harder at pressing the opposition if he wants to keep his place, but I doubt that they've already had a major bust up.

It looks like a lot of players are still working on how to play under Emery.

In many matches, Özil has run more and done more sprints than many of our players, so he should be able to press. Wenger basically let him do whatever he wanted, but now he can get dropped like any other player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom