• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He's better than flops like Mikhi and average players like Iwobi, not blowing smoke up his arse like half the people on this thread, but he's our best offensive midfielder. The fact his performances don't match most of the hype doesn't change that.

Thank you , this is my point even when he is not prominent he still moves the ball on to another player , With Mkhi you don't know what's going to happen and you can trust him to make the right decision in the final 3rd unlike Iwobi .

Anders Harbo

Angry Scandinavian #6
Thank you , this is my point even when he is not prominent he still moves the ball on to another player , With Mkhi you don't know what's going to happen and you can trust him to make the right decision in the final 3rd unlike Iwobi .
I agree. He is our best offensive midfielder - buy a mile. But can he press like Unay wants him to. Is he willing to track back and follow his man. I doubt it. That said, he woul have been very useful in a game like yesterday.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I agree. He is our best offensive midfielder - buy a mile. But can he press like Unay wants him to. Is he willing to track back and follow his man. I doubt it. That said, he woul have been very useful in a game like yesterday.

Imo we have enough grafters that we can compromise for a little more quality will create a better balance .

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Imo we have enough grafters that we can compromise for a little more quality will create a better balance .

I agree. Firstly, Özil has pressed a lot this season, more than I saw him press under Wenger, nobody seems to touch on that.

Second, even if Özil half presses, that doesn’t mean he can’t play in our system. Going forward on counters there’s nobody you’d prefer to lead the attack than Özil, and it shows.

We’ve had several promising counter attacking instances in his absence. More often than not they’ve broken down. Özil is the guy who can make the killer pass and time it to perfection.

Really can’t understand people who don’t see what Özil brings to the table.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
I think people are missing the point here. No matter how good Özil can be, he is usually only playing good 1 in 5 matches.

Simply not good enough. If he can have performances like Leciester 1 in 2 - then I think our grafters can cover him.

However, this is not the case. He is very ineffective recently - could be back injury, or could be lack of passion for game. I don't know.

Rumours that his agent wants him in Inter Milan - 25 million. Quite honestly, that is a joke. If he leaves us, it would have to be on a free for any club to afford him. Heck, we may have to pay, not the other team.

TorontoGooner76

I have always been an Özil supporter but I am really unsure how he fits into Emery's plans.i know the club needed to make a statement after what happened with Alexis, but it was probably a mistake to resign Özil for the kind of money that they did. Makes it a little harder to move him.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
You’ve gotta take into account Özil’s wages too though. I agree, he’s easily our best playmaker, and even on bad days he’s got something to offer. But I can’t help but think that if he left we wouldn’t miss him that much, and if we reinvest the wages into 1 or 2 players that fit Emery’s system better, we would probably be better off.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

We'd need to adjust the system a bit, though.

An off the ball 442 with a slighlty deeper press, basically almost bypassing the front 2 of Lacazette and Özil who will only work to cut of passing lanes to the back of the opposition, with a very aggressive and tight midfield 4 and fullbacks, with hard workers like Auba and Ramsey on the wing, Torreira and Xhaka in the middle, who win the ball, can all carry it a bit, then relay it to Laca or Özil who then in turns release especially Ramsey and Auba on the wings, so going back to something similar to the kind of almost 424 Arsenal were playing at the beginning under Emery. That could work.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
He's still one of our best players, was on form for a decent amount of this season, and i do not know why everyone had such a downer on him right now. A ton of assists to come this season, and i think you'd have to be nuts to want to ship him out as things stand. We finally have yep forwards that are perfect foil for him.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We'd need to adjust the system a bit, though.

An off the ball 442 with a slighlty deeper press, basically almost bypassing the front 2 of Lacazette and Özil who will only work to cut of passing lanes to the back of the opposition, with a very aggressive and tight midfield 4 and fullbacks, with hard workers like Auba and Ramsey on the wing, Torreira and Xhaka in the middle, who win the ball, can all carry it a bit, then relay it to Laca or Özil who then in turns release especially Ramsey and Auba on the wings, so going back to something similar to the kind of almost 424 Arsenal were playing at the beginning under Emery. That could work.

Listening to Gab Marcotti , he reckons that Emery isn't tied to a particular system . So good odds there is a solution .

Wryer

We have no one in the final third that can consistently find spaces, thread passes and genuinely executes the creativity in mind. I'm not Özil's biggest fan, but we will miss this sorely if he goes.

So what if he is left out from the bruising games and away games against the top 4? He still has a good 20+ games to contribute. This is a test of Emery's man management here more than anything.

Id say keep him.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I think people are missing the point here. No matter how good Özil can be, he is usually only playing good 1 in 5 matches.

Simply not good enough. If he can have performances like Leciester 1 in 2 - then I think our grafters can cover him.

However, this is not the case. He is very ineffective recently - could be back injury, or could be lack of passion for game. I don't know.

Rumours that his agent wants him in Inter Milan - 25 million. Quite honestly, that is a joke. If he leaves us, it would have to be on a free for any club to afford him. Heck, we may have to pay, not the other team.

The only bad performance I can think of is Chelsea , been pretty decent for the rest .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom