• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Tbf there's a good chance that 1. I was still high on Özil after his Liverpool display about 6 weeks prior (he does seem to live off a performance for a number of weeks/months following) and 2. with signing Auba and Mkhitaryan I probably I assumed that that the stars were going to align in terms of getting the best out of Özil with a fast striker with good movement, an extra body on the wing, etc.

MustOezil

Tbf there's a good chance that 1. I was still high on Özil after his Liverpool display about 6 weeks prior (he does seem to live off a performance for a number of weeks/months following) and 2. with signing Auba and Mkhitaryan I probably I assumed that that the stars were going to align in terms of getting the best out of Özil with a fast striker with good movement, an extra body on the wing, etc.

And then came Emery who saw Kolasinac and said "I want some of that cut back"

carlito'sway

Established Member
I’m on the EKB side but also like Mesut so much I’m wandering near the fence, thinking what to do. I can see @Aevius over the EOB side, @Tir Na Nog and @carlito'sway . . this is making me sad. @Furious is over there too but some way away. Jesus is that @celestis.

@American_Gooner is sitting on the fence itself, and looking back on my side @say yes and @Jury are there, but I need my binoculars to see them they’re that far away :lol:

I can't be EKB since, as I said for a while, that I was not impressed by his tenure at PSG. This mess is of his own making and it was totally unnecessary. If you decide to freeze your best player, you better make sure you win and play well, otherwise, it will backfire on you. That is a simple fact. It is not too late for him to change his tunes, but time is running out.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I haven’t agreed with every decision Emery has made—far from it—but he deserves the standard amount of time to do whatever he feels he has to do no matter what I think. Ive looked forward to being in that position as a fan again tbh. I’ve wanted to see Özil start more games than he has, but you have to accept the new guy isn’t here to make you happy or felate your favourite players, no matter how important you think they are to our performance. You have to let what long term goal there is or isn’t, be given the chance to take shape.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
So Özil says he has a back issue, docs confirm it, and the coaches are pissed.

**** the coaches then tbh. They believed he could have played without much discomfort based on what exactly? Tarot cards? Jesus christ.
It looks like he only complained about the back problem once he found out he wasn't in the starting XI for the weekend. He did the same thing against Liverpool in December, trained with the rest of the squad then when he found out he wasn't starting again he stayed home with a knee injury. I don't doubt that he would have been in some discomfort with those knocks, but it clearly wouldn't have been enough to stop him from being on the bench at least. This is a guy who hasn't actually had a problem playing through the pain barrier before:
mesut_ozil_53493.jpg

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I just don’t see us beign any better with Özil playing, result wise. He brings creativity but also instability in team structure. He wasn’t particulary impressive in the latter parts of last seasons and the trend continued this season. He was sulking when subbed and it seemed he didn’t bought into the ideas Emery is trying to implement which was also insinuated in some quarters of the media.

I don’t believe in the absolutes and I think the real reasons behind this conundrum are somewhere between “the board wants him out because of the ludicrous wages”, “Emey hates him as he doesn’t suite his style” and “Özil is cronically injured and deserves to play when healthy”.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I can't be EKB since, as I said for a while, that I was not impressed by his tenure at PSG. This mess is of his own making and it was totally unnecessary. If you decide to freeze your best player, you better make sure you win and play well, otherwise, it will backfire on you. That is a simple fact. It is not too late for him to change his tunes, but time is running out.
Good points, which is making me wonder about Emery. But I’m still not 100% sure Özil is being frozen out and if he is, by whom.

Emery is desperate to win games, his neck’s on the line. He’s an experienced coach trying to get things right. He’s been crippled by injuries and having to play 2nd string players. Only a fool could miss the defensive mistakes Mustafi, Kola and Lich have been making. And although Iwobi is a good squad player he is not top4 level yet.

Under these circumstances to leave out your most creative player just doesn’t make any sense . . . if he really is fit. And not to even have him on the bench as an option is beyond crazy. I can’t believe he’s that stupid unless he’s been told.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Because he’s been here 6 months? I know it sounds like I’m clutching at straws, right? Who is the last manager you knew of that was given a six month contract?

That isn't really answering the question. No one deserves anything in football or life. I can name you plenty of managers who've been sacked after six months because they were doing poorly.

Its odd you talk about deserving a chance yet you're quick to throw Özil out under the bus.

Doesn't he deserve a chance to prove he's worth his new contract as well?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If Emery was Zidane and just won his second consecutive CL, and Özil was Gareth Bale(which is what happened at Madrid)...I would have been in the EKB, and willing Özil to leave.

Now, I'm stuck between my love for Özil, and satisfactory performance (amid strangely defensive football) from Arsenal.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Because he’s been here 6 months? I know it sounds like I’m clutching at straws, right? Who is the last manager you knew of that was given a six month contract?
The average lifetime of a professional football manager is 14months and 3 weeks according to Sky Sports. In the Championship it’s only 10 months and 1 week. Ridiculous.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I can name you plenty of managers who've been sacked after six months because they were doing poorly.
The obejective of this season was to get back into the CL, and Emery is 1 point off 4th with 13 games left. How many managers have been sacked after six months despite not being far off their pre-season target?

say yes

forum master baiter
Love the way people keep talking about Özil as if he’s some kind of superstar who’s going to single-handedly drag this team to victories.

Hasn’t the defence of his mediocre performances during the last few seasons been that he’s not that kind of player and we’re expecting too much of him?

Emery’s not here to mollycoddle under-performing players who aren’t willing to put the work in.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
That isn't really answering the question. No one deserves anything in football or life. I can name you plenty of managers who've been sacked after six months because they were doing poorly.

Its odd you talk about deserving a chance yet you're quick to throw Özil out under the bus.

Doesn't he deserve a chance to prove he's worth his new contract as well?
6 months after 21 years? :lol:

Özil is a player who has been here for six years.

Emery is his manager. Emery reserves the right to do as he wishes with the player. ANY player. Contracts don't come into it. It's like you want to make up new rules based on some philosophical rubbish that doesn't apply to high level sport or business.

Why did I just explain this?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
The obejective of this season was to get back into the CL, and Emery is 1 point off 4th with 13 games left. How many managers have been sacked after six months despite not being far off their pre-season target?

That is very fair and I agree that right now, overall results wise, Emery isn't doing "poorly". But we've been here before

Do you remember back in 2011 or so where we would be 2 points off the top or whatever it was but there would be whispers of discontent? Only for a section of fans to go, well we're only 2 points off the top! Only for 2 points to turn into 5 and then 8 and then 10 as we limped towards 4th place.

We're one point off the top 4 but will that state of affairs continue? Will we improve and end up in the top 4 or will we do what we did so many times under Wenger when we were in the title race in January/February and sink like a stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom