Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by blaze_of_glory, Jan 6, 2016.

?

What should be done with Özil?

1. Bring him back as a central figure in the team and keep

43.3%
  2. Play him regularly rest of this season but look to sell in summer

26.9%
  3. Mostly bench for rest of season and then sell in summer

11.2%
  4. Don't care, whatever Emery/the upstairs football committee want

18.7%
  1. Furious

Furious Emery Hired, Telly Off

Ramsey vs Chelsea had 13 passes with 76% acc., 1 key pass, 2 shots and 6/7 duels lost.

But he ran a lot and pressed the Brazillian Elneny sooo...

Imagine using that as a benchmark to a good performance. :rofl:

2. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

I said 2017 in my original post, and you’ve agreed with me. So no revisionism on that front.

3. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Benayoun turned up more than he did. He was merely a 'jinky' little 'schemer', as players like him were once known. Özil is nothing more these days. Classy touches, mostly on the peripheral of the action. Not that we couldn't do with a bit of that, but lets not go OTT about what he is. He has the high ceiling, but what's the point in talking about it if it's as rare a rocking horse sh!t.

Tir Na Nog likes this.
  4. MaraDon

MaraDon Wants you to learn about football

hopefully.
    Not because i dont like him.
    because this is not healthy for the club.

5. Jury

Just as well most of us watch football with our eyes then, and don't flick through a few web sites after the game, sat 3,000 miles away, before telling everyone what they should have seen according to @cockwafflerstatboy on Twitter.

6. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

No I'm not talking about decent form, I'm saying he was world class from Nov-jan just last season, so there's no "in theory" or "on paper" about it.

blaze_of_glory and celestis like this.
  7. Sanchez11's ghost

Sanchez11's ghost Well-Known Member

To me he was Wengers last main man and had it far too easy. Football in the last 5 years alone has changed, so either Özil adapts or gets sold on. The latter looks more likely.

8. Rex Banner

Rex Banner Massive SAFophile Trusted

9. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

I acutally thought Wenger got a raw deal in those situations, if you look at the last few games of 09/10:
    [​IMG]
    The team may have finished 11 points off the top in the end but Gallas, Vermaelen, Song and Fabregas were all injured at the time, along with the half-fit Arshavin and RVP.

The following season:
    [​IMG]
    This was after losing a 1-0 lead over Liverpool in injury time then a 3-1 lead over Sp**s a few days later. Otherwise, we'd have been 2 points off with just 5 games left and United still to play at home. The fact that we lost to Bolton, Stoke, Aston Villa and drew against Fulham to finish 4th yet again doesn't mean the WOB were justified to moan earlier on in the season.
    I don't know, why is why I'm going to give Emery and the team a chance before saying people should lose their jobs. It also depends on the context of the season, for example those title chasing teams had talent but would squander enough points drop from 1st to 4th in a matter of weeks. This team on the other hand is an imbalanced squad that won't finish any lower than 6th, which is only point off anyway.

blaze_of_glory and squallman like this.
  10. field442

field442 Abandoned Emery because of Lacazette

You’re right in that we don’t play through the middle anymore but we did do during the unbeaten run. We still focussed on the cutbacks with full backs but there was still sometimes very good play through the middle. I even remember we had two “team goal of the season” candidates within a few weeks of each other (against Fulham and I can’t remember the other one but Aubameyang scored it). All that was with the extra man in the middle in a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1.

The injury to Bellerin and Emery switching formation is why we’ve become so one dimensional. I wouldn’t say it’s a conscious tactic to only attack through Kolasinac.

11. American_Gooner

Yeah this is probably the most frustrating thing about Emery right now. We know he wants his wingers to come inside to allow the FB's to overlap, but since we don't have the personnel to play like that atm he really should adapt.

blaze_of_glory and Rex Banner like this.
  12. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Hoping Emery cloud has a silver lining

Eyes? Your eyes have been nothing but a port hole into a furnace of rage for 3 of the last 4 years. :lol:

13. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado

Transition years are always going to be messy. Hard to get that worked up as chances are neither Özil or Emery will be here in two seasons.

Days numbered for both now. The new regime wont want to be saddled with Ivans manager or Wengers big players.

Artisan likes this.
  14. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Attention Seeker

I have no idea why this is happening, when Sanchez left and Özil became our main man he played every game when he was fit and delivered what, our worst league season in 22 years?

Sanchez11's ghost likes this.
  15. Furious

Furious Emery Hired, Telly Off

Doubt you can see much through Emery's cum with those eyes, mate.

fc honka, MustOezil and Fewtch like this.
  16. Beksl

Beksl Sell All The Youngsters

Not sure about world class but he was good in those months. The problem was he droped off massively after the contract was signed and never looked back. We’re talking about a 12 month period where he was supposed to be the main man but never produced again.

17. Jury

Not anymore though. You even like some of my posts these days, as I do yours. That must mean we're drifting dangerously close to agreeing on stuff :lol:

Makingtrax likes this.
  18. Jury

I can't get enough of that multiple European trophy winning cum tbh. Been starved of it for a long time.

19. American_Gooner

20. razörist

razörist Ozil Stan

So why were you swooning for him to sign a year ago?

blaze_of_glory likes this.