• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godwin1

Very well-known
Last season for a period Özil put in some of the best performances of his career, and that's even without raking up the assists. I wouldn't call it a great season for him overall though and that's probably a good summary of his career with us. He's not a full season player which coupled with his favored role which is basically a free role at number 10 means he's very ineffective when not in-form. Probably explains why **** all clubs wanted him when he was winding his contract down where as they were all over players like Sanchez and Van Persie.

Anyway going in on people who were praising Özil during his in-form period isn't fair when the overall situation is taken into account. He really does need to leave but just as importantly needs replacing in the summer.

say yes

forum master baiter
I have no idea why this is happening, when Sanchez left and Özil became our main man he played every game when he was fit and delivered what, our worst league season in 22 years?

Özil is crazy overrated on here. Look at the OP- what has Mesut ‘conquered’ ffs? He’s had one great season which incidentally wasn’t even enough to stop us losing the league title to Leicester ****ing city.

He’s hasn’t been a flop but equally I’m tired of defending an Arsenal career which has been, on the whole, underwhelming.

nas7232

Arsenals key weakness is creativity which is making arsenal football dire to watch. At least with wenger we were creative and did really well against amazing sides like barca and bayern. Wenger lacked a good defence in recent times but 3 DMs and no decent wingers is not the answer. Id much like to see emery out and risk it with arteta. Losing ramsey and Özil so early in sucks. STs are isolated out there with the answer not even making the bench.

Once mustafi is out and sokratis and kos play together or even mavpav then we dont need Özil tracking back imo

BeckDK

Victoria Concordia Crescit / Victory grows through harmony....

I believe in this motto, i want the club to make Özil feel that he is something very speciel and unique again! He sees the passes and runs before anyone else. He is the ****ing Best and the club/fans/board/emery treat him like he is a sack of potatos...

We lack so much creativty without him....

Open your eyes and play him again..

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Sorry if a repost. From Arseblog:

So, Arsenal lose 1-0 to BATE Borisov, play dreadfully, questions are being asked about Unai Emery, everyone can see we could use more creativity in the team, we have a hugely talented playmaker who didn’t make the squad and has been on the fringes of the team for months, and at the very least most people would say it couldn’t have been any worse with Özil in the team on Thursday night. Fans are frustrated and not enjoying the football we’re playing, and it’s obvious that there’s very public disenchantment.

Then Mesut Özil, or his social media team, or his social media team with the tacit approval of the Mesut Özil, send out a Tweet – invoking the name of a legendary player that everybody loves – which anyone can see is going to get people wound up. And that’s exactly what it did. Job done. I assume that’s what they wanted to do, and it worked. They took advantage of ill-feeling towards the team/manager after terrible result to generate goodwill for Özil, and if that’s not the most cynical thing I don’t know what is.

Frankly, I’m not pro-Özil or anti-Özil. He’s just a player who is massively talented but too often inconsistent. I’d actually like to see an in-form Özil in our team because we’d be better if he was in it and playing well. I’m not pro or anti-Emery, he’s a coach who is doing a job I’m not fully convinced by yet. But here’s what I definitely am: Pro-Arsenal, and all this has made an already unhealthy situation even more so, and there was no need for it.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Arsenals key weakness is creativity which is making arsenal football dire to watch. At least with wenger we were creative and did really well against amazing sides like barca and bayern. Wenger lacked a good defence in recent times but 3 DMs and no decent wingers is not the answer. Id much like to see emery out and risk it with arteta. Losing ramsey and Özil so early in sucks. STs are isolated out there with the answer not even making the bench.

Once mustafi is out and sokratis and kos play together or even mavpav then we dont need Özil tracking back imo

Yeah, that 10-2 aggregate was amazingly creative. Its still early days with Emery, we don't need to panic and bring in a manager like Arteta.

blaze_of_glory

Özil is crazy overrated on here. Look at the OP- what has Mesut ‘conquered’ ffs? He’s had one great season which incidentally wasn’t even enough to stop us losing the league title to Leicester ****ing city.

He’s hasn’t been a flop but equally I’m tired of defending an Arsenal career which has been, on the whole, underwhelming.
Look I’ve already dug up your old posts once. Don’t make me do it again. I don’t have much of a life but that got tedious even for me.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
So Mesut quotes Bergkamp and it sounds like he feels he belongs and has found his place with us. He might even be a fan! It's funny looking back at all the players who left that we so desperately wanted to feel like this. Unlike Ramsey, Özil has won almost everything worth winning and isn't young anymore. He loves the city and the club I think. There's no internationals for him to think about and now there are rumours that the other players think Emery is trying not to get himself on the end of another Neymar situation lol. This is poor management. In fact it's ridiculous. I can see him digging his heels in so good luck moving him on.

LG10

Club should never have given him the ridiculous contract, Özil's performances haven't been good enough overall, Özil is twice the player mhkitaryan and Suarez are so he should be playing over them.

All three should not be at the club next year but it will be next to impossible to find a buyer for those two.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I'm not saying he should lose his job, right now, but I'm also not going to sit here and say that wherever we finish and however we play, I want Emery to get another season or two.
Barring a disaster, he'll get another season. I think we all overestimated this squad, some of the big names have either declined like Kos and Monreal or not performed at the level we expect like Özil and Mkhitaryan. It's still good enough to make top 4 and since we're still in position to do so, I don't think we can draw too many conclusions about Emery in mid-February.
Sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reason. It doesn't have to reflect badly on Emery or us. It didn't work for Benitez at Real Madrid. Same for Mourinho there, yet the latter got another job and won the league.
context matters, rafa struggled with a cl squad; clashed with big stars in dressing room
mourinho set records for points and goals scored, broke pep's dominance
I just don't want to continue with a failed experiment for the sake of doing so or a notion that the manager "deserves" time. If things aren't looking up at the end of the season I would like Raul to shake Emery's hand, thank him for his time then move on to someone else.
The last two months may have been disappointing but we saw real signs of encouragement in that September-December period. After that, the injuries to Holding and Bellerin have led to more tinkering at the back with Koscielny/Mustaf in and out of the team, as well as the revolving door at RB with Lichsteiner and AMN. The attack has surprisingly missed having Welbeck as an option and with Ramsey and Özil inching closer to the exit, things have gone stale at that end of the pitch. Think Emery needs to show more attacking ambition instead of Auba/Laca + just one supporting attacker like Mkhi or Iwobi, because his conservative approach hasn't helped in defence as you've said.

I understand if you disagree but I think next season is the real time to judge him. He should be able to go out and sign a LB, CB, AM and a winger then the team will really start to take shape. People get frustrated when we say it's still Wenger's team but with those 4 signings to go with Leno, Sokratis and Torreira it will really be Emery's team. I think he himself would argue he doesn't have the personnel to play the way he wants, but when gets them this summer he won't have any excuses next season. With the break clause after the 2nd year in his contract, it'll be up to him to deliver or he won't carry on here.

progman07

Established Member
I understand if you disagree but I think next season is the real time to judge him. He should be able to go out and sign a LB, CB, AM and a winger then the team will really start to take shape. People get frustrated when we say it's still Wenger's team but with those 4 signings to go with Leno, Sokratis and Torreira it will really be Emery's team. I think he himself would argue he doesn't have the personnel to play the way he wants, but when gets them this summer he won't have any excuses next season. With the break clause after the 2nd year in his contract, it'll be up to him to deliver or he won't carry on here.
My issue is that simply I do not trust a guy, who
-plays Iwobi ahead of Ramsey/Özil,
- who cannot handle big players like Neymar and Özil,
- who has kept on playing 3 centre backs even when we visibly suffered with the formation,
- whose biggest attacking plan is to play cut-backs with Kolasinac,
- and especially, who has brought in Denis Suarez of all players just becauase he knows him from Sevilla,
to have a say on signings for Arsenal.

I'm not even sure what kind of players Emery needs to implement his tactics, because I don't know what his tactics are, he has tried everything and we ended up with an absurdly cowardish formation with nothing remaining from his original ideas.

And I cannot believe that just because Bellerin got injured (other two long-term injuries are squad players who were 3rd choice), we really cannot play our supposed 'A' game against teams like Huddersfield Town and West Ham United.

I'd trust him a lot more, if we stuck with the plan and formation we saw in the summer preparation games, and the August-September league games.

MustOezil

Appreciate your thoughts but I was wondering why you think that this season is not the real time to judge Emery?

Will his man management skills be different or suddenly better next year? Will his tactics suddenly be creative all of the sudden?

Let's be honest, the answer is no. We will only see more of the same, more refined and drilled in to perfection. And unfortunately that doesn't fill me and many fans with optimism.

Apart from his dull football and lacking man management abilities, Unai Emery is not Pep, is not Klopp, does not have the success of managing a top team to buy him another season. And we are not PSG to have the money and power to wait and see.

The truth is that there is a pattern of clashing with star players, lack of effort to see player beyond their role in the team. His time as PSG is regarded as a failure and so is his first season with Arsenal. That says enough for me that he is not what we need.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
To be honest, I was kinda having second thoughts about this whole situation and began wondering if we should give him a shot given the teams struggles but that tweet has pissed me off mightily. Trying to exploit the fan sentiments and the team's misfortune is just not on.

If I were Raul and Emery, I'd make a move. Offer Özil and his reps a new deal to negotiate on reduced terms and notify Ornstein. Then we'll see how much Özil cares.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I think we all overestimated this squad, some of the big names have either declined like Kos and Monreal or not performed at the level we expect like Özil and Mkhitaryan. It's still good enough to make top 4 and since we're still in position to do so, I don't think we can draw too many conclusions about Emery in mid-February.

I wouldn't overestimate a squad that has Mustafi and Xhaka as first choice. Personally I think Monreal has been on the wane for two years now but he's a fan favourite so its gone unnoticed. I'm also not sure what we expected from Mkhi given his performances at United and his age. It was just a foolhardy attempt from our board to save face, instead of just selling Sanchez to United for a pittance, we got a player in exchange. I think we might be able to make top 4, but this is all reaching a familiar pattern for me to our 2010-13 seasons. I hope I'm wrong.

context matters, rafa struggled with a cl squad; clashed with big stars in dressing room
mourinho set records for points and goals scored, broke pep's dominance

It does, no two situations are the same. I'm just saying that if things don't work out for Emery here then it doesn't mean he's a bad coach or anything. Sometimes life just doesn't work out and a manager can be a bad fit for a particular club. For example I think Simeone would do great at Juventus or Chelsea but he would crash and burn at Barcelona.

Think Emery needs to show more attacking ambition instead of Auba/Laca + just one supporting attacker like Mkhi or Iwobi, because his conservative approach hasn't helped in defence as you've said.

I understand if you disagree but I think next season is the real time to judge him. He should be able to go out and sign a LB, CB, AM and a winger then the team will really start to take shape

I agree that injuries haven't helped him. But this is Arsenal, injuries come with the job description. If Emery can't operate unless he has a fully fit XI from August to May then he's at the wrong club. Or he has to oversee a complete rehaul of our medical staff to get our injury situation under check.

What if he doesn't get those signings? Would he still be up for judgment then? I might just be scarred by 2015's summer window but I think its far fetched to expect Arsenal to go out and address all of its needs in one summer. An Arsenal manager is expected to make do with what he's got and Emery might not get everything he wants. The fact that we needed a defender badly in January and we went out and got Dennis Suarez instead doesn't fill me with hope that we will do what is needed in the summer.

They didn't have to go and buy De Ligt and no one was asking them to. But the idea that there was no one knocking around in Ligue 1 or Serie A that we could have signed to help us at RB is odd. I'm sure we paid a loan fee to Barcelona as well, so we had a small bit of cash to use.

For me, whether he gets in all his players or not. Even if this is still Wenger's team, the manager has to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal. This squad isn't capable of winning the league, I'm not on Emery's case for that.

But is he getting as much out of these group of players as he can? Could another manager get more out of them? Can Emery get more out of this group if he added a few players to it?

Once you answer those questions then its clear whether a manager deserves to stay or not. It works for clubs of all levels. If you're getting enough out of Barcelona's squad you'll go far in the CL and compete for La Liga potentially winning it. Everton - Top 8ish. Watford- midtable.

Last edited:

MustOezil

To be honest, I was kinda having second thoughts about this whole situation and began wondering if we should give him a shot given the teams struggles but that tweet has pissed me off mightily. Trying to exploit the fan sentiments and the team's misfortune is just not on.

If I were Raul and Emery, I'd make a move. Offer Özil and his reps a new deal to negotiate on reduced terms and notify Ornstein. Then we'll see how much Özil cares.

You must be crazy to think that this would ever work anywhere.. with anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom