• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I wouldn't overestimate a squad that has Mustafi and Xhaka as first choice. Personally I think Monreal has been on the wane for two years now but he's a fan favourite so its gone unnoticed. I'm also not sure what we expected from Mkhi given his performances at United and his age. It was just a foolhardy attempt from our board to save face, instead of just selling Sanchez to United for a pittance, we got a player in exchange. I think we might be able to make top 4, but this is all reaching a familiar pattern for me to our 2010-13 seasons. I hope I'm wrong.
If you don't think the squad is up to much, why are you disappointed with the position this team is in right now? Unless you were expecting Emery to be a miracle worker, being 1 point off top 4 in mid-February is just about where they should be.
What if he doesn't get those signings? Would he still be up for judgment then? I might just be scarred by 2015's summer window but I think its far fetched to expect Arsenal to go out and address all of its needs in one summer. An Arsenal manager is expected to make do with what he's got and Emery might not get everything he wants. The fact that we needed a defender badly in January and we went out and got Dennis Suarez instead doesn't fill me with hope that we will do what is needed in the summer.
Why is it far-fetched? Leno, Sokratis, Torreira and Guendouzi were all good signings that have added to the XI, no reason to think that another 3/4 signings this summer wouldn't further bolster the starting lineup.
They didn't have to go and buy De Ligt and no one was asking them to. But the idea that there was no one knocking around in Ligue 1 or Serie A that we could have signed to help us at RB is odd. I'm sure we paid a loan fee to Barcelona as well, so we had a small bit of cash to use.
That €2m loan fee was not going to get a RB that would improve the squad. The last thing you want is another squad player who's impossible to shift later on.
But is he getting as much out of these group of players as he can? Could another manager get more out of them? Can Emery get more out of this group if he added a few players to it?
I think he was getting a lot out of these players, because they picked up some wins in games where their performance didn't merit a victory. But there's only so much a manager can do, once the injury crisis hit things got a lot more difficult and some admittedly poor personnel decisions from Emery didn't help. It's not really about signing injury prone players, because no manager can legislate for losing Holding and Bellerin to serious knee problems or Welbeck snapping his ankle.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
My issue is that simply I do not trust a guy, who
-plays Iwobi ahead of Ramsey/Özil,
- who cannot handle big players like Neymar and Özil,
- who has kept on playing 3 centre backs even when we visibly suffered with the formation,
- whose biggest attacking plan is to play cut-backs with Kolasinac,
- and especially, who has brought in Denis Suarez of all players just becauase he knows him from Sevilla,
to have a say on signings for Arsenal.
I agree, the 3 at the back was annoying but he had to compromise due to a lack of wingers in the squad. It was the only way to bring some width into the game, otherwise we'd see the same turgid football through the middle as the last few seasons.

Also, the Spanish media have reported that Neymar could be leaving PSG this summer for La Liga because the club's top brass have grown tired of his antics. The guy is one of the biggest divas in world football, I wouldn't use his specific case against Emery. Saying he can't handle Özil is also a bit of a stretch, because throughout all the conflicting reports coming out the one thing we haven't seen is that it's a personal issue between the two.
I'm not even sure what kind of players Emery needs to implement his tactics, because I don't know what his tactics are, he has tried everything and we ended up with an absurdly cowardish formation with nothing remaining from his original ideas.

And I cannot believe that just because Bellerin got injured (other two long-term injuries are squad players who were 3rd choice), we really cannot play our supposed 'A' game against teams like Huddersfield Town and West Ham United.

I'd trust him a lot more, if we stuck with the plan and formation we saw in the summer preparation games, and the August-September league games.
The Chelsea game was a perfect example of what Emery wants to do:
So many chances created with by playing that ball between the CB and the FB, or getting down the sides. What he needs is more quality in these positions, hopefully signing a winger and a LB can help implement this more effectively next season. The lack of signings, however, is no excuse for the performances against West Ham and BATE; that I agree with you 100%.

Also, Holding was not 3rd choice at all. In fact, he established himself as first choice in September and carried on as such until his injury. Even when Sokratis had come back from his injury, Emery can Holding in the side instead of dropping him back to the bench. And Welbeck may have been 3rd choice but his injury deprived Emery of another possible wide option, someone with a bit of pace who could also press when needed. He ended up being a much bigger loss than expected.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Appreciate your thoughts but I was wondering why you think that this season is not the real time to judge Emery?

Will his man management skills be different or suddenly better next year? Will his tactics suddenly be creative all of the sudden?

Let's be honest, the answer is no. We will only see more of the same, more refined and drilled in to perfection. And unfortunately that doesn't fill me and many fans with optimism.
I don't think it's fair to judge Emery now because there's still too many of the previous regime's players around. It would be like judging Klopp when he had Brendan Rodgers' squad with only a few additions of his own. However, next season we could see 7 or 8 new signings in the first XI and so we'd be better placed to say that it's his team. People can say that they don't trust the club to make the right acquisitions based on the links we've seen in January and that's fair, but Leno/Sokratis/Torreira were all upgrades on the players they replaced and Guendouzi has added something different as well. Another batch of summer signings like that could really improve this team.

His man management doesn't concern me either. PSG is one of those dressing rooms like Real, Barca, Bayern and Chelsea where the players clearly call the shots. Özil may have an issue with Emery, but there doesn't seem to be that kind of conflict with other players. Holding, Mustafi, Smith-Rowe, Xhaka, Iwobi, Welbeck and Lacazette have all praised him publicly.
Apart from his dull football and lacking man management abilities, Unai Emery is not Pep, is not Klopp, does not have the success of managing a top team to buy him another season. And we are not PSG to have the money and power to wait and see.
You're acting like he's done a David Moyes type job though. The fact is that the club's goal was to make the CL for next season and as it stands, Emery has every chance tto reach that objective. Of course, if he doesn't then you can start asking serious questions about whether he deserves more time. It's just my opinion that it's not fair to make that judgement in February with so much football left to be played.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Learn a thing or two about branding, marketing and value before making baseless claims. Is this some sick joke? Lacazette is a complete nobody compared to Mesut. He'd at most get a 10-15% increase or sold and nobody would bat an eye. :rofl:

Yeah great so we play Iwobi and other **** players because that is surely improving us to a new collective height.

Even Ozils staunchest fans on here agree he hasn’t had a decent run of games in a calendar year, you seem to value him as if he’s at the peak of his powers.

This ongoing clusterfuvk is as damaging Ozils brand as much as it is detrimental to Arsenal’s season. Let’s not forget his “brand” has already taken a big recent hit due to performances in the 2018 World Cup.

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

People getting so sensitive about Emery as if he has done anything for arsenal, like win a trophy for example. Wenger was and still is a legendary iconic figure for Arsenal club, and he was treated like no.1 enemy by many people who presented themselves as arsenal fans.

Hope he gets sold
and takes his son with him as like it seems to me he is ready to jeopardize his entire season to find him a place in first XI.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
This is either a power move by Emery, or him and Raul have decided to freeze out Özil in the hope he is forced out and we have 350K a week off the books, allowing spend elsewhere.

If the former, this is a further failing on the part of Emery.

Results, team performance and player performance in the absence of Özil speaks for itself. We barely create chances in games.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
On that point, even though I think his handling of the Özil situation is definitely a well deserved stick to beat Emery with, I don't really see the point in integrating Özil back into the squad anymore. By the time he gets back into the groove and gets his rhythm back the season will be almost over anyway.

We've already committed to ostracizing him, might as well follow through with it now that we've come this far. Even in the best case scenario of Emery being let go ( if he fails to achieve our objectives), there is no point in willingly keeping a 31 yo on 350k around.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
If you don't think the squad is up to much, why are you disappointed with the position this team is in right now? Unless you were expecting Emery to be a miracle worker, being 1 point off top 4 in mid-February is just about where they should be.

Perhaps, point wise we aren't too bad. But when I look at the games we've lost and how we have lost them, I think we could have been much better off with better management. Yes every side drops points they shouldn't but even taking that into account, I think we've lost more than our fair share.

I mean it isn't even like we battered our opponents in those games we lost, like at West Ham or Southampton. We just went down limply with barely an attempt on goal. The way we've set up in certain games has been downright cowardly too IMO. For a time we were playing 3 defensive minded midfielders against midtable clubs. That isn't the Arsenal I want to see. Emery has been treating these bottom feeders with too much respect. There needs to be a balance between preparing for the opposition and playing our own game.

For all of his supposed tactical preparation and analyzing the opposition, I'm not really seeing any great tactical shift from one opposition to the other. Sure the way we play has changed throughout the season, in terms of our attacking play, but we don't seem to me to have any special defensive plan to neuter the particular opposition we come up against. *Except Chelsea at home.

Why is it far-fetched?

Summer 2015, in fact any summer prior to the last one. Its a new regime and I sincerely hope that things have changed but I will wait and see.

That €2m loan fee was not going to get a RB that would improve the squad.

This is true, I wasn't thinking about a permanent defensive signing tbh, I would have settled for a warm body on loan. We didn't really need Suarez.

I think he was getting a lot out of these players, because they picked up some wins in games where their performance didn't merit a victory.

This is true but he also has to take some of the blame for the poor performances in the first place. I remember Wrighty or someone praising Emery for his half time subs and tactical flexibility, ignoring the fact that he was the one who picked the first XI and having to change it so quickly was a sign that he got it wrong. Or that he doesn't have any real confidence in his own decisions.

It is true that you can't legislate for long term injuries like the ones we've suffered. But it comes with the territory being Arsenal manager.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Honestly this is just awful. Values gone the second Wenger's out the building.

You don't just freeze a player like Özil out. Play him even if you don't want him long term. Why would big players want to come to a club where they might get frozen out if management change their minds

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Even Ozils staunchest fans on here agree he hasn’t had a decent run of games in a calendar year, you seem to value him as if he’s at the peak of his powers.

This ongoing clusterfuvk is as damaging Ozils brand as much as it is detrimental to Arsenal’s season. Let’s not forget his “brand” has already taken a big recent hit due to performances in the 2018 World Cup.
It was always cringy as **** how he was so desperate for the N.10 for his brand... So he gets it and then forgets what it means in footballing terms.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Why would big players want to come to a club where they might get frozen out if management change their minds
But that's what happens everywhere usually. They fall out of favour and they end up somewhere else. It's down to the player to take the hint or hang around long enough to get told in no uncertain terms.

blaze_of_glory

I agree, the 3 at the back was annoying but he had to compromise due to a lack of wingers in the squad. It was the only way to bring some width into the game, otherwise we'd see the same turgid football through the middle as the last few seasons.

Also, the Spanish media have reported that Neymar could be leaving PSG this summer for La Liga because the club's top brass have grown tired of his antics. The guy is one of the biggest divas in world football, I wouldn't use his specific case against Emery. Saying he can't handle Özil is also a bit of a stretch, because throughout all the conflicting reports coming out the one thing we haven't seen is that it's a personal issue between the two.

The Chelsea game was a perfect example of what Emery wants to do:
So many chances created with by playing that ball between the CB and the FB, or getting down the sides. What he needs is more quality in these positions, hopefully signing a winger and a LB can help implement this more effectively next season. The lack of signings, however, is no excuse for the performances against West Ham and BATE; that I agree with you 100%.
Unfortunatley we're losing the key player in that game, which was Ramsey. So we're going to need someone who can fill that role as effectively as he did.

Still don't understand why Emery or whoever is making these decisions thinks its a good idea to get rid of both Özil and Ramsey with such apparently limited funds to bring players in. And we've lost the guy who was supposed to be able to find gems on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom