• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Should I YOLO my money on shorting Apple?
Morgan Stanley literally today raised their price target for Apple to $152 and are expecting record earnings as Apple has had incredible sales due to the latest iPhone. They're also rumored to be partnering with Hyundai on an EV. What could drive a short is if Biden and his admin want to go after Apple, Google, FB for anti-trust. Wait until earnings (1/27).

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Vaccine stonks are a thing of the past, mate. You need to ride the Green deal/Biden wave now.

How's crypto doing for you?
You said the same thing about Amazon and Netflix. Man, some people just can’t be helped. :lol:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

So naive walking into media traps like this. Needs a good PR agent to school him on how to avoid questions like this and stick to what he wants to talk about instead of the interviewer.
What trap did he walk into. He was asked a question said he thinks so and no comment.

I see no issue with that. Or with the club leaking certain stuff. Everyone is engaged in some PR war which ultimately the manager has to win. Or they are gone. Arteta is doing very well in that regard.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
What trap did he walk into. He was asked a question said he thinks so and no comment.

I see no issue with that. Or with the club leaking certain stuff. Everyone is engaged in some PR war which ultimately the manager has to win. Or they are gone. Arteta is doing very well in that regard.

Arteta has made a lot of mistakes and even looked deep into the void of the sacking abyss. For some he will never do a single thing right again. Walking the dog, painting his front door, breathing, winning a trophy, even scratching his @rse ....he will always be doing it wrong or there is somebody out there who can do it better.

Im sure the next manager, whenever that is, will get a clean slate for a short while.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It's was pretty obvious one of the leakers had something to do with Özil.

When Brady's negative comments about Özil surfaced in the media, within a couple of hours some source was feeding journalists info that Arteta was having issues with some of the squad. Pretty obviously put out there as retaliation.

Pretty clear there was a PR war going on between Arteta / Arsenal and Mesut and his agent for some time.

Özil said consistently that he'd stay at Arsenal until the end of his contract. He didn't. By hook or by crook Arteta got what he wanted, Mesut out. Arteta won.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
So you really think Mesut has that type of will power to win this kind of prolonged battle.b

Come December bet Özil was thinking Arteta will ge the sack and he'll rejoin the squad till the end of the season.

Maybe he shouldn't have given ESR those tips lol

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
There's not much left to discuss, but it is an absolute shame that Arsenal left it to end this way for a class player like Özil.

We were used to be a classy club, going to extreme lengths to provide support for players (Diaby, Rosicky, Cazorla, Wilshere etc.. under contract although not playing for years while injured), but the way he was pushed, it really gives you the impression that we're now a cutthroat mob who don't give two ****s about tradition, class etc...

Unless the deal to pay Özil a golden handshake included a "don't spill the beans" clause, I am sure his agent will provide all the details on what happened in one of his detailed, scorched-earth interviews.

This will reflect very bad for any potential incomings. When agents see how our club treated a world class player liek Özil, only few will be willing to risk losing a year or two warming the bench or being thrown around in useless loans.

The cases of Saliba and Gundouzi, two promising youngsters will have raised a lot of eyebrows to any agent of a player who is targeted from us.

Sometimes reading through this thread and watching it bloat with the views of fans, I tend to reinforce the opinion we deserve what we are getting. We kind of deserve the board and management . We deserve the pain and embarrassment on the pitch too.

No matter how much money you invest in a team on the pitch, if you have no clue about team management , contracts , salaries and player management , then you end up like Arsenal. Celebrating Özil leaving the club is testament to what we have become. Blind to the obvious , simply because we have been accustomed to mediocrity.

We should be questioning the club how we managed to let our very best players Sanchez and Özil leave for nothing. I mean nothing after what we paid for them in terms of wages and transfer fees. How did we let their contracts run so much so that for PR reasons we had to let one go and award the other a crazy salary to safe face or show ambition. Arsenal was scared ****less of the media / fans scrutiny for losing both players on a FREE. We threw everything at Özil and we ALL were happy about it. He forced no one. It was hailed as a masterstroke. We were forced to match what he was offered around Europe at the time.

For Ramsey we got nothing. Sanchez we got Mkhi who we later let go based on an arrangement. Jack one of our best talents from the academy we got nothing. Cazorla a very top footballer and a dream player for us , we got nothing. He left to play 60 more odd games for Villareal. Can anyone put this into context? These are some of our very best players. Even Kos had to force his way out in very unceremonious circumstances and we got a small fee. The highest we have every recouped of late in the OX to Liverpool and recently mugging Everton for Iwobi around the 35M region. This is Arsenal known for the class , well run , sustainable etc . Welbeck in still playing in the PL but yet left us for a free. What happened to our initial investment.? We had to drag Aubameyang till the last minute for a new contract . We were under pressure to match what he was offered all around Europe. Why do we expose ourselves by letting it run down till the last minute and get mugged by agents because other suitors throw around salaries we are forced into matching. These are the questions we should be asking? We were promised this would not happen again. If the player is not willing to discuss a new deal , then sell him and recoup or cut losses to reinvest in the team.

Lets bring it down to earth if we have gone far back. We rejoiced to see Kola leave for nothing. Like we are in the business of saving on wages. We just cannot wait for Mustafi and Papa to go for free. Our business of saving on wages is on. Özil gone , yah more wages. The question is why let them run down the deals to a stage when suitors prefer to wait for free than bother to pay a wage? If they are too bad to sell on , then what does that say about our ability to buy the right players in the first place?

Today Eddie has 18 months on his deal. He clearly will not make it here for very obvious reasons. What are they waiting for? Same with Balogun with over 15 clubs waiting for him to walk away on free. Gouendouzi was let to go out on loan and return with a year to run on his deal. Do we really think with the bad blood between him and the board we would be able to extend when he returns? The irony is we tried to sell him for 35M and more all summer , turned down 40M advances from PSG sometime back. Now his agent will be shopping him around for high wages as a free transfer soon. Add Laca to the list with his deal running down slowly. We are not renewing it at all , and not selling him too. What are we waiting for ? To force him out in the summer , and when he refuses to be forced out , we spin the PR and say he is fat , lazy , not working hard etc to get fans on his back etc.Calum chambers is clearly not needed here , but we are letting his contract run and so his value. Elnenny on that list too.

If we have gone into the business of saving on wages then we should be told. Our summer was a disaster until KSE stepped in to save it with an injection for Partey's release clause. We planned to sell to raise money for new players. We spent the summer trying to sell devalued assets like Lucas ( never in the team ) and Gouendouzi ( branded a disruptive brat) to raise money for Aouar and Partey. Aouar deals fell off for obvious money issues. KSE bailed us out for Partey. This is Arsenal management in principle. Scatter gun approach !

We do not have a sugar daddy owner and must rely on sound player/man management to keep and grow value on assets , be smart on salaries and very pragmatic on player sales to generate capital to reinvest in the team.
Excellent post.

Finesse

There's not much left to discuss, but it is an absolute shame that Arsenal left it to end this way for a class player like Özil.

We were used to be a classy club, going to extreme lengths to provide support for players (Diaby, Rosicky, Cazorla, Wilshere etc.. under contract although not playing for years while injured), but the way he was pushed, it really gives you the impression that we're now a cutthroat mob who don't give two ****s about tradition, class etc...

Unless the deal to pay Özil a golden handshake included a "don't spill the beans" clause, I am sure his agent will provide all the details on what happened in one of his detailed, scorched-earth interviews.

This will reflect very bad for any potential incomings. When agents see how our club treated a world class player liek Özil, only few will be willing to risk losing a year or two warming the bench or being thrown around in useless loans.

The cases of Saliba and Gundouzi, two promising youngsters will have raised a lot of eyebrows to any agent of a player who is targeted from us.

Excellent post.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...l-released-160m-talent-not-received-back.html

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
So @Finesse , you think we should be giving useless **** on a stick players extensions in hope someone picks them up for a few quid, rather than let their contracts end and say talaa!? That way, we can somehow justify buying them in the first place... Genius.

That wall reads like Özil exit tears with lots of of doom mongering tbh. Nothing more or less. It’s just a really lop-sided view. I could go into more detail but can’t be arsed.

We deserve the pain and embarrassment on pitch for what reason exactly? Because we got rid of Özil basically. It’s fans specifically like you and a few others who deserve the misery tbh with views like that... Well we’re in a good run thanks so stick that in your pipe and take a good deep lug pal :drool:

Last edited:

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

So @Finesse , you think we should be giving useless **** on a stick players extensions in hope someone picks them up for a few quid, rather than let their contracts end and say talaa!? That way, we can somehow justify buying them in the first place... Genius.

That wall reads like Özil exit tears with lots of of doom mongering tbh. Nothing more or less. It’s just a really lop-sided view. I could go into more detail but can’t be arsed.

We deserve the pain and embarrassment on pitch for what reason exactly? Because we got rid of Özil basically. It’s fans specifically like you and a few others who deserve the misery tbh with views like that... Well we’re in a good run thanks so stick that in your pipe and take a good deep lug pal :drool:

Think you missed his points, and then some.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
Think you missed his points, and then some.
I missed nothing at all. My only here problem is I can see through long winded, thinly veiled tantrums. While we haven't been on the ball with contracts, it is getting better and it's being addressed.

We 'ALL' weren't glad Özil got that massive contract; Jack was crocked and was worth nowt. He even says we 'let Caz go ffs... I mean, what?!! There's lots of exaggerations in there, half stories and prophecies of doom regarding contracts that have yet to be sorted. That's basically half of the wall. But people who hate our fans, the club and used to hang off Özil's nuts (no connection there at all...) will like it I suppose.

Last edited:

Iceman10

Established Member

Excellent post.

It’s a tricky balance, I do want Arsenal to retain a touch of class about it for our club identity and uniqueness, but at the same time don’t want us to become a soft touch either. Koscielny was a great servant for the club but that window we were left in the lurch very late with our CB’s after taking a calculated risk earlier in the window with putting money into Saliba to loan him back to the selling club, obviously with Kos still pivotal in plans for that season.

I’m not singling out Kos, but it was accumulation that led to a bit of a breaking point for me, and there also has to be balance with class and financials where we are well off as a club but not super-rich. I know a direct line is hard to draw between Kos and some other cases, and Özil, could go into some theoreticals over urgency to resolve the Özil “situation” but it would just invite the same old ground of back and forths that have been gone over a thousand times here on A-M.

Last edited:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

I know a direct line is hard to draw between Kos and some other cases, and Özil, could go into some theoreticals over urgency to resolve the Özil “situation” but it would just invite the same old ground of back and forths that have been gone over a thousand times here on A-M.

Agree on the part about Kos and then the ridiculous decisions over Saliba. We've basically thrown 28M down the drain for past two years.

But the way we dealt with Özil for apparently "footballing reasons" and having him replaced by Willian who has stank the place out (for an almost equal salary), shows a shocking level of squad mismanagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom