• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Över and Öut

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Özil was beyond finished for a while now but the victory laps some of the Edu lovers on here were taking in January were hilarious.

We’re basically paying him and a few others to play for other teams. Any DoF would be able to do that ffs, you could hire @rich 1990 tomorrow and he’d be able to pay other clubs to take our players.
I'd just shoot them, tbh

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I'm fully convinced the start of the season would have been a lot better with Özil in the middle behind Lacazette, even if he had a bit part sub role.

The treatment of Özil ended up hurting us more than it did Özil if we are honest. Financially we suffered, in the press we suffered cause Özil exposed the club for the joke that it is, and on the pitch we suffered.

If you are smart, you'll see that Özil is essentially being paid to shut up, cause the club is just so bad and I am sure there is tons more he could share about the shenanigans at executive level.

Zero logic was applied here it has to be said. The only plus was ESR somehow emerged from all this at the start of the year.
The Özil situation was a mess for sure. I put the main blame on the player and his agent, but it could probably have been handled better by the various coaches. Main point is he was not able or willing to do what was asked of him and had to leave. As he refused to do that and given his contract size and his poor play it was never going end well.

Think his start in Turkey just shows how much he has fallen as a player and why he wouldn’t have been anything we can use. Honestly think objectively that this was apparent for quite some time.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

paying him almost his full wage until May to sit in the Fener treatment room is still an L.
As would playing him before Christmas have been. Guy was and is shot and cannot play in the PL. He has been for several years now. He signed the big contract with us and then retired. Our version of Bale...

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Think his start in Turkey just shows how much he has fallen as a player and why he wouldn’t have been anything we can use. Honestly think objectively that this was apparent for quite some time.
The guy hadn't played competitive footballs in ages and made a handful of appearances and got injured, which at that age happens. Had he been more active would Fenerbache had seen a better Özil? Probably.

You guys got excited as if you were vindicated somehow? but it's only Arsenal are taking L's seeing as we're still paying for this and we're still sh*t Özil or no Özil.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
As would playing him before Christmas have been. Guy was and is shot and cannot play in the PL. He has been for several years now. He signed the big contract with us and then retired. Our version of Bale...
To be fair I don't totally buy that. I'm not suggesting he was anywhere near the player he was but before lockdown last year in Arteta's first few months in the job you could tell Özil had bought in and he was playing well. United, Newcastle and West Ham are games that come to mind immediately.

Whatever happened during lockdown we'll probably never know but I think he'd have been continued to be used until his contract ran out by Arteta if the stuff during lockdown didn't occur.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

You guys got excited as if you were vindicated somehow? but it's only Arsenal are taking L's seeing as we're still paying for this and we're still sh*t Özil or no Özil.
I must admit I have displayed plentiful glee. Cannot deny that for sure. But that is, at least from my standpoint, towards some very obtuse posters, you not among them, who were just so pro-Özil that it had turned into anti-Arsenal in my view.

The whole debacle has been a huge loss for us as a club. But given how the player chose to act it couldn’t end any other way. It’s a bit like with Willian. An overpaid, over the hill player just draining money out of our already strained finances.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

To be fair I don't totally buy that. I'm not suggesting he was anywhere near the player he was but before lockdown last year in Arteta's first few months in the job you could tell Özil had bought in and he was playing well. United, Newcastle and West Ham are games that come to mind immediately.

Whatever happened during lockdown we'll probably never know but I think he'd have been continued to be used until his contract ran out by Arteta if the stuff during lockdown didn't occur.
Fair enough although I don’t agree. I think he was poor even before the lockdown. Like was posted above, the positive out of this is ESR. The rest was pure ****!

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Fair enough although I don’t agree. I think he was poor even before the lockdown. Like was posted above, the positive out of this is ESR. The rest was pure ****!
That's cool everyone has opinions. Think it's inaccurate to say he was poor at that time, for me that was the best football we've played under Arteta. Was genuinely excited about what we may become at that point. Yeah glad to get ESR out of it though.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We were already collecting Ls without Özil playing tbh.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

And finally an assist... albeit in a 1-2 loss, but still. Haven't watched a single Superlig game, but the players sure didn't look like they were running much. Maybe Özil has a future there...

vantoure

And finally an assist... albeit in a 1-2 loss, but still. Haven't watched a single Superlig game, but the players sure didn't look like they were running much. Maybe Özil has a future there...

can't believe some compared Ødegaard to Özil after the match against West Ham.

Arsenal fans deserve this season :lol:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
The guy hadn't played competitive footballs in ages and made a handful of appearances and got injured, which at that age happens. Had he been more active would Fenerbache had seen a better Özil? Probably.

Put into context, this was against a background of people constantly posting Özil was bigger than the club, he would flourish at any other club in the world with the right manager and most bizarrely many 'Arsenal fans' posted they were glad and it was highly amusing Arsenal were wasting their cash.

So in the context of all the above its not really surprising if a few people have gloated a little bit, and theres really not that much gloating going on looking back at this thread.

I wanted Özil away from the club, thats happened, so go luck to the wee fella now.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

So in the context of all the above its not really surprising if a few people have gloated a little bit, and theres really not that much gloating going on looking back at this thread.
Unfortunately not. Camping out here myself... Saw a new post and threw myself on it at once! ;)

I am a bit underwhelmed that there isn't more debate in this thread given the amount of effort some posters were giving their pro-Özil views and agenda! Now would be the time for them to beat their chest because how Özil is proving Emery, Ljungberg and Arteta wrong by playing out of the world football and racking up assists... but then again maybe not...

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Mourinho killed Özil there...can't believe Mes had Jose do the forward in his book after that :lol:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom