• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
If it's a football decision, it's one that should be questioned. I'm pretty done with this now, but tbh there is no way anyone can tell me that Mesut Özil, even now, is not one of the 25 most useful players at this club.

On the whole I really dislike how the club has handled this. We love a sideshow.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I feel this all comes back to Arteta's 'Non-negotiables.'

There's no reason even to be talking about whether Özil is talented enough as a footballer to be in the 25 man squad, no-ones denying he is. But that's not the point.

Arteta set his stall out in his first press conference as to what he demanded from his players in terms of effort and commitment. Özil obviously hasn't been meeting the required standards for some time, hence he didn't make the squad and hasn't played for ages. It's not rocket science.

He's lacking in effort and /or commitment, not talent. And that sentence basically sums up the last 3 years of his career.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

the constant references to the bum squad are really pissing me off, and make no meaningful contribution to this thread

at least I suppose he will disappear once Özil has moved on, hopefully in January
When I read his bum squad posts I always have to think about the sheep bleating in Animal Farm: "Two Legs Good, Four Legs Bad." Bleating the same regardless of situation. ;)

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
When I read his bum squad posts I always have to think about the sheep bleating in Animal Farm: "Two Legs Good, Four Legs Bad." Bleating the same regardless of situation. ;)
go back to oinking for my attention in the xhaka thread .. have some shame and pride in your trolling and learn to take "banter"

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I feel this all comes back to Arteta's 'Non-negotiables.'

There's no reason even to be talking about whether Özil is talented enough as a footballer to be in the 25 man squad, no-ones denying he is. But that's not the point.

Arteta set his stall out in his first press conference as to what he demanded from his players in terms of effort and commitment. Özil obviously hasn't been meeting the required standards for some time, hence he didn't make the squad and hasn't played for ages. It's not rocket science.

He's lacking in effort and /or commitment, not talent. And that sentence basically sums up the last 3 years of his career.
It does seem to add up doesnt it. The reputation Özil had and what many fans thought (and previous manager despite how poor Emery was) is seeming to be true right now.

I think Arteta is tryna execute a culture change here, so I think thats at play with the Özil situation as well as the wage cut/bonuses issue.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
The whole forum knows you're not an Arsenal fan you dont need to spell it out :lol:

Hopefully Mez leaving takes you off this forum for good :bounce:
I’m not an Özil fan though? I’m an Arsenal fan. I like and respect Özil because he gave my club some very good years. I’ll forget him when he’s gone.

I heard the same about Wenger, “you’re a Wenger fan”, no I’m an Arsenal fan and Wenger gave us 22 years so I’ll always fight his corner. Now he’s not here I’m not buying his autobiography or watching his interviews like most of you guys.

You ignored my point too though, we’re just a business that belongs to Stan now. We’re not the historical, magical, Arsenal we once were, those values and principles have declined. I don’t know this club anymore.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Look at the stats where Özil had 2.04 (1) and Nelson 1.8 (1).

I'd want to see more stats comparisons for them, but if Özil would be just a bit better overall than Nelson, I'd play Nelson/have him in the team.

But defensive stats etc. would be interesting.
Stats are so misleading. No sane person who has watched Özil and Nelson think Nelson can contribute more. He is not gonna make it here.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I’m not an Özil fan though? I’m an Arsenal fan. I like and respect Özil because he gave my club some very good years. I’ll forget him when he’s gone.

I heard the same about Wenger, “you’re a Wenger fan”, no I’m an Arsenal fan and Wenger gave us 22 years so I’ll always fight his corner. Now he’s not here I’m not buying his autobiography or watching his interviews like most of you guys.

You ignored my point too though, we’re just a business that belongs to Stan now. We’re not the historical, magical, Arsenal we once were, those values and principles have declined. I don’t know this club anymore.
The magical Arsenal was always a myth. The club has always had good media relations which they used to spread good pr. Look at the prices our fans used to pay for years to watch the team.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

It does seem to add up doesnt it. The reputation Özil had and what many fans thought (and previous manager despite how poor Emery was) is seeming to be true right now.

I think Arteta is tryna execute a culture change here, so I think thats at play with the Özil situation as well as the wage cut/bonuses issue.
Don't think Arteta should or could have handled the Özil situation any better than he has. Hopefully we can offload Özil in January in some way and if not he sits here until June next year. Maybe he can go to Tottenham? I have heard that Mourinho values him... ;)

If there is any fault to be found in this situation it sits with Özil, but we have been through that enough.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Go support PSG then. Fact is that we can still be much better even under the ****er Kroenke, how many players have we let run down their deals and go for free or cheap? It has hampered us.

But thats cool leave the club when it really needs you, you were only a fan because of the glory. And you talk about loyalty smh.
Go support PSG then. Fact is that we can still be much better even under the ****er Kroenke, how many players have we let run down their deals and go for free or cheap? It has hampered us.

But thats cool leave the club when it really needs you, you were only a fan because of the glory. And you talk about loyalty smh.
What glory? When I was spending money going to the Emirates we stopped winning major trophies, stopped competing for major trophies, stopped signing top players etc.

What is “the club” also? I don’t think it exists. It’s a cold business with no souls owned by some American who doesn’t care or know anything about the club.

Brett

Not only values and principles even our standing has declined miserably since Stan. We are not even a top 6 team anymore.
I don't like the lack of transparency from the Club about Mesut.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The magical Arsenal was always a myth. The club has always had good media relations which they used to spread good pr. Look at the prices our fans used to pay for years to watch the team.
Highbury wasn’t a myth, that was magic. Dein bringing Wenger, who then found loads of young players and unknown players who then dominated English football, that was magic. “The Arsenal way” that existed before Wenger.

No matter what Arsenal do everything with class, the red and white shirt means something. It’s more than a football club. History, tradition, respect, values etc. It’s ALL GONE now.

Arsenal was magic.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

What glory? When I was spending money going to the Emirates we stopped winning major trophies, stopped competing for major trophies, stopped signing top players etc.

What is “the club” also? I don’t think it exists. It’s a cold business with no souls owned by some American who doesn’t care or know anything about the club.
Honestly not to pick a fight: If you are this down on Arsenal why are you even bothering? Honestly and not in a negative way, but shouldn't you try to find a different team or sport to follow that you feel has more heart or is more of a club? Or just give the whole thing a break and come back once you have recovered some good vibes about Arsenal.

Also, don't forget that we won the FA Cup just a couple of months ago! That was great, wasn't it?

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

Welcome to any multi billion pound industry.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
If this was a footballing decision, then Mesut must be downright awful in training.

The longer the team lacks creativity, the longer this decision will be questioned.

Is every player in the squad more valuable than Özil? I always wondered why the club didn't just give Özil enough rope to hang himself. That's what clubs normally do. Play a player who you think isn't good enough, let him stink the place out and then the fans won't ask for him to be in the team.

Özil's just been completely frozen out.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

If this was a footballing decision, then Mesut must be downright awful in training.

The longer the team lacks creativity, the longer this decision will be questioned.

Is every player in the squad more valuable than Özil? I always wondered why the club didn't just give Özil enough rope to hang himself. That's what clubs normally do. Play a player who you think isn't good enough, let him stink the place out and then the fans won't ask for him to be in the team.

Özil's just been completely frozen out.
It seems clear to me that Arteta has put achieving team cohesion and defensive solidity first. Creativity and attacking flair will need to come second for now. Despite this there are still moments when our patterns of play really work and we cut teams open like a knife through hot butter. These moments are few and far between though and we mostly are quite stodgy. For now I think we will have to accept stodgy porridge as our main fare.

I am personally fine with it for now as I can see the process of building a successful side. Given how little money the owner likes to spend, i.e. nothing preferably, we will have to keep our fingers crossed we have good transfer windows and Arteta is a really really good manager.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

How much is an Özil performance worth?

350k?
400k?
500k?
8mil in loyalty fees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom