• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I know people think it's tone policing or whatever but surely we can discuss Özil without resorting to that? I remember when people used to call Wenger that and it always rubbed me the wrong way, no matter what people think of players/coaches they still represent Arsenal.

I haven't seen that, do you have a link?

Tbf the Xhaka has taken many casualties in terms of bannings. Bellerin I'm not as sure of, other than Mitch's posts which most take in good humour I haven't this level of vitriol towards him. People regularly attack Özil on a personal level, we even had someone say that it would've been better for the club if he had been killed by the guys that attacked him and Kolasinac.

I guess it's a judgement call and that's your guys jobs as moderators. Personally I see nothing wrong with it. If that's the low level of a bar members on here want on here in terms of causing offence a lot of people are going to end up getting in trouble unintentionally.

It's one or two pages ago on this thread. I didn't report it and I wouldn't want the person sanctioned for it anyway.

People talking about killing Özil is going just a tad too far, even for an hardcore Özil disliker like me. Stuff like that is clearly way beyond an acceptable line.

Anyway, I didn't want to sound like a **** about it. It's just my opinion and I can see why this thread in particular is hard to moderate, at least partially due to people like me!

Thanks for what you guys on the moderation team do anyway. I don't think you get enough credit for giving up your free time so us members can have a fun on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: A_G

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I guess it's a judgement call and that's your guys jobs as moderators. Personally I see nothing wrong with it. If that's the low level of a bar members on here want on here in terms of causing offence a lot of people are going to end up getting in trouble unintentionally.

Shocker!

It's one or two pages ago on this thread. I didn't report it and I wouldn't want the person sanctioned for it anyway.

People talking about killing Özil is going just a tad too far, even for an hardcore Özil disliker like me. Stuff like that is clearly way beyond an acceptable line.

Just a tad? You're a prince.

Anyway, I didn't want to sound like a **** about it. It's just my opinion and I can see why this thread in particular is hard to moderate, at least partially due to people like me!

Thanks for what you guys on the moderation team do anyway. I don't think you get enough credit for giving up your free time so us members can have a fun on this forum.

Heh.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
I called Wenger senile all the time
Are you seriously of the opinion that suggesting a player is a cancerous influence on a club/team is worse than suggesting on numerous occasions that Arsène Wenger was suffering from dementia because of a few footballing decisions?

Is that not at the very least as 'hate filled'?

Presumably your problem with the 'cancer' reference is because it makes light of the disease? Well what about senile dementia? Can you defend that?

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Are you seriously of the opinion that suggesting a player is a cancerous influence on a club/team is worse than suggesting on numerous occasions that Arsène Wenger was suffering from dementia because of a few footballing decisions?

Is that not at the very least as 'hate filled'?

Presumably your problem with the 'cancer' reference is because it makes light of the disease? Well what about senile dementia? Can you defend that?

No. It's not because it makes light of the disease. My father died of Alzheimers on Boxing day 2019. He suffered from it for a full 12 years, and I was grateful for every day I had with him. My mother died of cancer side-effects in 2017. I'm not sensitive to either.

Calling someone cancerous suggests malicious intent in both the accused and the accuser. The accused is portrayed as an invading foreign element
that is bent on destroying his host. That sort of word is not used lightly. It's very emotive and powerful in its negative evocation. Which in turn suggests hateful intent on the part of the accuser.

People on here call Mesut parasite, lazy, and all other sorts. But when it gets to words like cancerous, I draw a line.

Last edited:

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

No. It's not because it makes light of the disease. My father died of Alzheimers on Boxing day 2019. He suffered from it for a full 12 years, and I was grateful for every day I had with him. My mother died of cancer side-effects in 2017. I'm not sensitive to either.

Calling someone cancerous suggests malicious intent in both the accused and the accuser. The accused is portrayed as an invading foreign element
that is bent on destroying his host. That sort of word is not used lightly. It's very emotive and powerful in its negative evocation. Which in turn suggests hateful intent on the part of the accuser.

People on here call Mesut parasite, lazy, and all other sorts. But when it gets to words like cancerous, I draw a line.

But there's nothing external or invading about cancer, the analogy doesn't work. Cancer is the cell's in your own body turning against you by mutation. Things that are already part of you doing you harm.

If you're using that flawed logic you could say the exact same thing about Dementia.

I hope you don't take this an insult because I really don't mean it to be but you seem very touchy about the idea of outsiders. I'm not knocking you for it, I don't know your life story and it's none of my business. I'm sure you have good reasons for it, but most people wouldn't interpret the cancer analogy in the way you do.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
@Rimaal That’s just a terribly thought out reply in all fairness, not to mention the massively over dramatic definition of the use of word ‘cancerous’ when used in this context. You may well draw the line where you choose, but that’s just your preference.

I sincerely sympathise with the plight of your mother and father and the heartache this must have caused you and your family. It doesnt make it ok to sling the word ‘senile’ around though.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
@Rimaal That’s just a terribly thought out reply in all fairness, not to mention the massively over dramatic definition of the use of word ‘cancer’ in this context. I sincerely sympathise with the plight of your mother and father and the heartache this must have caused you and your family. It doesnt make it ok to sling the word ‘senile’ around though.

Senile maybe rude, and disrespectful, I grant you. But Cancerous is hateful and malicious.
As for overdramatic interpretation? I disagree. Words have power. Never underestimate it.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Trusted Members are allowed to tell me to F off and erroneously label me a Xenophobe because I don't like a £350k a week footballer who's been in semi retirement for 3 years, but Oxeki using a phrase like that is worthy of sanction. Doesn't make sense.
I asked you to eff off the thread if Özil bothered so much. Also to turn off the telly if he came on.. You take that advise. Didn't call you a xenophobe.

Let me nail you to a wooden cross and let me know how you feel.
you keep going deeper. Just stop.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
But there's nothing external or invading about cancer, the analogy doesn't work. Cancer is the cell's in your own body turning against you by mutation. Things that are already part of you doing you harm.

If you're using that flawed logic you could say the exact same thing about Dementia.

I hope you don't take this an insult because I really don't mean it to be but you seem very touchy about the idea of outsiders. I'm not knocking you for it, I don't know your life story and it's none of my business. I'm sure you have good reasons for it, but most people wouldn't interpret the cancer analogy in the way you do.

Now we're talking semantics. That cancerous cell becomes "other", as in unlike the rest. I used foreign as in different, not as in other nationality. invading as proliferating (invading sounds better, more dramatic). I tried to paint a picture equal to the power of the word. Seems I failed.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Senile maybe rude, and disrespectful, I grant you. But Cancerous is hateful and malicious.
As for overdramatic interpretation? I disagree. Words have power. Never underestimate it.

Cancerous is a colloquial term these days. It may be offensive or upsetting to you but there are terms that everyone uses that are offensive to someone. It is a very apt description of how people feel about his behavior, not the medical definition or how you see it but how it is used in every day language.

At the end of the day you cant take it upon yourself to moderate an entire language and change the meaning of a word because it upsets you, its like trying to tell the tide to stop.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Now we're talking semantics. That cancerous cell becomes "other", as in unlike the rest. I used foreign as in different, not as in other nationality. invading as proliferating (invading sounds better, more dramatic). I tried to paint a picture equal to the power of the word. Seems I failed.

There's one person playing semantics games here and it's not me :lol:

Even if I accepted you definition, which I don't, every disease or illness would be caused by and and result in an ''Other''. A person suffering from dementia's brain would become an ''Other.''

You're arguing against the very point you're trying to make in finding some distinction between dementia and cancer.

Let's just leave it, we're not making an headway.

I hope you have a good evening :)

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Cancerous is a colloquial term these days. It may be offensive or upsetting to you but there are terms that everyone uses that are offensive to someone.

No, it's not. Not in my neck of the woods, any way.

It is a very apt description of how people feel about his behavior, not the medical definition or how you see it but how it is used in every day language.

But cancerous as a metaphor is not descriptive of behaviour, it applies to an object not an action.

At the end of the day you cant take it upon yourself to moderate an entire language and change the meaning of a word because it upsets you, its like trying to tell the tide to stop.

I didn't moderate. He voiced himself in a certain manner, and I voiced my distaste of his manner.
Only the moderators moderate.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
There's one person playing semantics games here and it's not me :lol:

Even if I accepted you definition, which I don't, every disease or illness would be caused by and and result in an ''Other''. A person suffering from dementia's brain would become an ''Other.''

No!! He would not. If someone you loved had dementia, you would know how wrong you are. I sincerely hope and pray that you never find out.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
No, it's not. Not in my neck of the woods, any way.

But cancerous as a metaphor is not descriptive of behaviour, it applies to an object not an action.

I didn't moderate. He voiced himself in a certain manner, and I voiced my distaste of his manner.
Only the moderators moderate.

Well then you need to accept that your neck of the woods isnt the entire english speaking world. I've read books, magazines, online blogs using it that way.

Again you're applying how you use the word to the whole world, no language is static.

I'm saying you're trying to apply a meaning on to a word and tell everyone that is the only meaning for the word, every word is to a greater or lesser ambiguous. If I say the word behaviour offends me because of past experiences would you refrain from using it?

Imo Özil is potentially cancerous by which I mean hes damaging the club and creating problems that can grow.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

No!! He would not. If someone you loved had dementia, you would know how wrong you are. I sincerely hope and pray that you never find out.

You know what point I was making and it had nothing to do with how you're trying to portray it. My grandfather has Alzheimer's for what it's worth.

In the way a lung cancer patients lungs become an ''Other'' by your own definition, a dementia patients brain becomes an ''Other'' too.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Well then you need to accept that your neck of the woods isnt the entire english speaking world. I've read books, magazines, online blogs using it that way.

Again you're applying how you use the word to the whole world, no language is static.

I'm saying you're trying to apply a meaning on to a word and tell everyone that is the only meaning for the word, every word is to a greater or lesser ambiguous. If I say the word behaviour offends me because of past experiences would you refrain from using it?

Imo Özil is potentially cancerous by which I mean hes damaging the club and creating problems that can grow.

The club is damaging the club. They can pay his contract off, and let his leave early. It's in their hands.

Using the word is a choice, and like every choice, it carries consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom