• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Michael Ballack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Established Member
We did show serious interest in signing him before he became so popular. That was in 2001 - before Bayer Leverkusen's CL run, and the 2002 World Cup.

A

Anonymous

Adam said:
We did show serious interest in signing him before he became so popular. That was in 2001 - before Bayer Leverkusen's CL run, and the 2002 World Cup.

Yeah I remember us being linked with him.

After seeing him when we battered them 4-1 I was gald we didnt sign him, but he is still a top player.

Sammer

Established Member
He would fit in well though:

Pires - Viera - Ballack - Freddie/Pennant

Nice midfield....but it ain´t happening. Barca offered about 15 million Euros for him (which won´t be enough).

In the end, he might just end up staying at Bayern. :shock:

Mark

Established Member
He's a very decent player but it won't happen now. We should've gone for him earlier.

KingReyes

Established Member
He is quality all over. A top player who has a good passing game and scores goals from midfield.

dsurg

Hey AW has money to spend on the right player if he considers Ballack that then dont rule him out of Highbury and if it came to a straight decision as to where he would go I think he'd rather come to the Gunners...thats how huge we are now...all thanks to AW

goonerlove

Honestly, this would be a beautiful signing. Ballack is the type of player that would really elevate our midfield even another notch higher. I suspect that this isn't going to happen, but I would love it if it did.

I personally don't think we need to sign any new players right now, but if we were to, here is the order of priority IMHO:

1) Center defense - we need cover here.... Senderos just gets injured too often and with only Sol and Toure there, I would be more comfortable with another solid defender (preferrably someone who can play across the back).

2) Right defense - Lauren is good. He was solid for most of the season. I don't think he offers enough in terms of passing and assistance on attack and we could upgrade here. We don't need to, but... Also, same issue with depth. If Raphy gets hurt, Toure moves over to RB, then what? Hoyte looks promising but is probably a year or two away.

3) Center Mid - I love Edu and Gilberto is solid... but this is an area we can upgrade.

4) Goalkeeper - I would have had this at #1, but AW says he wants to stick with Lehmann for another year, so we can wait on this... and maybe Stack can fill the role eventually (I kind of doubt it).

5) Right mid - with Freddie struggling a bit this year and having so many injury issues, can we rely on JP to fill in? Can we utilize others at RM other than Gilberto/Parlour?

Like I said, we really don't need anyone. Depth at defense would be nice. Upgrade at CM to partner with Vieira would be nice. But we just won the EPL and picked up a nice young player in RVP.

Getting one major signing over this summer (like Ballack) I think would do wonders for the team psyche and inject some competition and excitement going into the new season.

Goonerlove

TRUE GUNNER

im not sure on him, i think he could disrupt our spirit, no doubting he does have great abilitly but hes an attacking midfielder so it will stop vieira from going forward. I think there are better players out there but this is probably just another silly rumour.

Gunner4life09

i know this doesn't really have anything to do with Ballack but 1 player i would really like in arsenal colours is fulham's steed Malbranque. he has the artributes of an arsenal player, pace, technique and skill.

nosneb

i have to disagree with u true gunner.. i think both ballack and vieira have good defensive qualities thus enabling them to "take turns" making forays forward (which they are both well capable of) when the other hangs back.. obviously a situation could arise where both or neither go forward, thus possibly disrupting our defensive organisation or attacking effectiveness but with a summers worth of training camp behind them, i believe this problem could be overcome.. however, again, as most of u all have said, it would be most unlikely to see ballack here.. much as i would like it :(

Sammer

Established Member
nosneb said:
i have to disagree with u true gunner.. i think both ballack and vieira have good defensive qualities thus enabling them to "take turns" making forays forward (which they are both well capable of) when the other hangs back.. obviously a situation could arise where both or neither go forward, thus possibly disrupting our defensive organisation or attacking effectiveness but with a summers worth of training camp behind them, i believe this problem could be overcome.. however, again, as most of u all have said, it would be most unlikely to see ballack here.. much as i would like it :(

Very well said nosneb - you hit the spot. Ballack is versatile, just like Viera, but probably a little bit more forward-orientated.

Henry IV

I would love to have Michael Ballack at Arsenal. He's a two footed, goalscoring midfielder (remember the way he effortlessly switched feet to knock out Korea in the World Cup?), he's very versatile and can head the ball. He was called a "stroller" by some commentators but no-one was saying that after he popped up to ruin Liverpool and Man Utd's ECL dreams in 2002.

nosneb

thanks sammer.. good to know someone agrees wif me every once in awhile.. ;D
btw, for those of u who are into fantasy football, join the official one on http://www.euro2004.com/fanzone/index.html

arsenal-mania have a private league tho i dunno how to check the code now tat im in.. ask "aussie" in our forum if ur interested!

i know its abit late with less than 24 hours till kick-off but join up all the same if u can! :wink:

A

Anonymous

Sammer said:
nosneb said:

Very well said nosneb - you hit the spot. Ballack is versatile, just like Viera, but probably a little bit more forward-orientated.

Vieira is not versatile.........................................hes only ever played in 1 position

Sammer

Established Member
I don´t think you got what I tried to say: versatile in terms of Ballack and Viera means being effective defending and going forward.

I did not say, that they could play defense or as a striker - but both of them are very versatile in terms of acting out their central positions.

Not many players around that can do that well.

Adam

Established Member
One thing i do question about Ballack at Arsenal would be two vital Wenger ingredients - athleticism, and carrying of the ball. Gilberto and Vieira are both powerful in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom