• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Michael Owen

gunner_down_under

Dont see it happening. When was the last time we signed a player from another Premiership club? (Apart from Gallas, but he's a special case cuz ****ley had to go the other way)

ricky1985

Established Member
gstew said:
ricky1985 said:
Let me start by saying that IMO Michael Owen is in a different league to Obafemi Martins.
I dont want us to sign Michael Owen because he wouldnt fit our style of play, but he is a world class player at his best and I dont say that lightly. If Man United sign him it will be a great signing, we are not even in for him and you can qoute me on that come September.
Obafemi Martins is a player who catches the eye but never really delivers. People get carried away because he bangs it in the top corner every now and then, its what I call the Cristiano Ronaldo syndrome.
We all know how Arsenal play football, our mantra is pass, move and take as few touches as possible. Can you honestly imagine Ronaldo or Quaresma abiding by those instructions, no way how can they be the star of the show if they just play for the team.
One of the reasons I have so much respect for Henry is because he believes in Wengers philosophy and he plays to it.
By that I mean Henry plays for the team, he does what is best for the success of the team and not Thierry Henry.
Given exactly the same situation, after a spell binding run, Henry thinks what is the best way to score a goal; pass or shoot? where Ronaldo doesnt think he just shoots, in a season like this they go in but what about next season when he aint so hot or is a little unlucky, thats when you see the side netting rippling from an impossible angle, the trademark of the selfish player.
So Ronaldo shoots too much???? Well we better not sign him then because the worst thing that could happen at Arsenal is signing a player who can beat any defender in the world, takes numerous powerful and accurately struck shots, hits accurate crosses and is great in the air. That would surely be the downfall of Arsenal!!

I love watching Arsenal and love our style of play. But I watched quite a few ManU games this year and they played better attacking football than us. It was no fluke that they scored so many more goals than us. This is because their players almost always had space. Why did their players have so much space? Because Ronaldo would usually occupy three defenders, making the opponent's defense unbalanced. Remember when Henry would occupy three defenders? Remember how much space Pires and Ljungberg had? Of course Rosicky and Hleb aren't nearly as good finishers, but they have also had nowhere near the space that Freddie and Bobby had. I would absolutely love for Arsenal to become stricken with so-called "Cristiano Ronaldo Syndrome".

If he can beat any defender in the world, then why does he do very little when he plays against top teams with world class defenders. I think C.Ronaldo is a good player dont get me wrong but he is probably the most selfish, self-serving player I have ever seen.

If you think about it Man U have probably played 4 'world class' teams this season;

- Chelsea
- Arsenal
- Liverpool
- Milan

Ronaldo as far as i can remember scored 1 goal in 9 games and was very quiet in nearly all of them, and the goal he scored Dida disgraced himself as well.
So if he is so amazing why did he have such little impact in the most important games?

Now take Henry who has definitely had his worst season for 7 years and has been blighted by injury and exhaustion. he played two of these teams Liverpool away in the FA Cup and Man U at home and scored vital goals in both games, including a scorcher against Liverpool.

Its no coincidence mate , comparing C.Ronaldo to the TH14 is laughable mate, he's had one great season, Thierry's had 5 phenomenal seasons in a row. As for Thierry occupying 3 players like you said, no way never happened to many other players in our team who warranted too much respect for that to happen.

If you think Man U's attacking play is better then that is your opinion and your entitled to it.
The difference between us and Man U is simple they play to individual players strength ie. C.Ronaldo will skin 3 people and then bang it in the top corner, they rely on one of their players doing something extraordinary and this season they have.
Where we play as one and create chances as a team, for example 90% of Man U's chances come from crosses being put into the box, that doesnt require any great cohesion simple really get the ball out wide to a quick, talented winger and let him work some magic and get players attacking the ball in the box. Simple and straight forward and an age old tatctic (see Stanley Matthews and George Best), but Arsenal have never done this and fans screaming out for a winger need to realise its not gonna happen we dont play that way, we play fast, one or two touch passing football, that through speed of movement creates chances.
Why do you think purists and pundits alike drool over our football? because it is so damn hard to pull off, and once we get it right you cant stop it, you really cant because no matter how fast you run to close us down you can never run as fast as the ball. Man United on the other hand generally if you stop C.Ronaldo you can make them look pretty average, because that nullifys their game. Do you honestly think if we had just won the league and were buzzing with confidence, getting praise from every direction that Chelsea could have shackled us in a FA cup final like they did Man U, I dont think so.

For me one moment somes up exactly what I mean it was abot the 110th min in extra time in the final of the FA cup and C.Ronaldo was one on one with Wayne Bridge and because of his exceptional ability he skinned him and was at an impossible angle, with Wayne Rooney in the middle and Michael Carrick breaking his neck to get square of him he decided to go for the shot, unfortunately for him Petr Cech was in goal and positioned perfectly on his near post and even if Ronaldo had hit the ball like Roberto Carlos he couldnt have scored suffice to say his shot went tamely in to the sidenetting and Michael carrick trudged back to the half way line only to watch Didier Drogba scoring the winner 5 minutes later. Ronaldo put his personal glory ahead of the team. Simple as that really.

dos1986

Established Member
gstew said:
dos1986 said:
Past his best but still a way better striker than Aderbarndoor,in theory a good buy,would give ous goals and could give a bit of motivation to the squad,Thierry and Gallas particularly,would welcome a guy like.but we have too many 20 games a season players,I would pass..

Martins is another matter though,he has everything we need in a striker imo...

At Henry's age rotation is key,Van Persie is a bit injury prone too and Ade is average,so Martins would get plenty of games imo.
This Ade bashing pisses me off. Average???? You have got to be f@#$king kidding me. Which striker would you put in the England team ahead of Ade? Bent, Defoe, Davies, Owen (who hasn't been a top player for four years now), Nugent, Crouch??? In my opinion, only Rooney gets in automatically ahead of Ade. Of course this is as much of an indictment of England's striker development as it is praise for Ade.

He has shown great improvement, he is fast, he is strong, he beats players, he makes intelligent runs and, most importantly, he holds the ball up well with his back to goal. This skill is something none of our other strikers are good at. His finishing will catch up with the rest of his game, as he is still quite young and he will be a top striker.

What is your definition of average? Which of his attributes do you see as average?

Power -- very good to excellent
Speed -- very good to excellent
Desire/Running -- excellent
Link up play -- very good to excellent
Dribbling -- above average to good
Touch -- above average to good
Heading -- good
Smart Runs -- very good to excellent
Passing -- good to very good
Shooting -- average
Finishing -- average

Im sorry the flamini of the foward line doesnt do it for me,a strikers main job is to score,something so called lesser players like owen,bent,defoe can do..Ade is average imo because he is a very wasteful striker..How can a striker that has only scored 33 goals in 122 games in the top league in france and 16 goals in 57 games here not be average?

He has been playing in top filght football for 6 years now,so dont give me he's inexperienced,he's no bergkamp either who was actually much more clincal than Aderbarndoor anyway..so what is he?Someone who flatters to decieve imo.

longrufus

Established Member
To be honest i dont think you understand the reasons why Wenger brought Ade to the club. He was never brought here to win the golden boot. But rather to offer us a different option.

Your talking absolute nonsense when you say a strikers main job is to score. Look at the team with Bergkamp, his job wasnt to score, but to create. And he is one of the greatest strikers to play the game. Every striker offers different qualities and goalscoring is not the single attribute you base any striker on.

Our problem as a whole is a lack of goals from midfield. Without Gilberto our starting midfield contributed 7goals in the league(Rosicky 3, Cesc, 2 and Hleb 2). In my opinion a combination of Henry (20+), RvP(20+) and Ade(10+) offer us more than enough goals up top.

Gurgen

Established Member
gstew, the big logical fallacy in your post is rating those attributes on the same level. Some are far more important than others.

And his shooting is very poor. Has he scored from outside the box for Arsenal?

longrufus

Established Member
Possibly his goals against Sp**s (1st game) and Fulham (more recently), took both from quite far out.

Anyway, isnt part of our problem not having people in the box to score Gurgen?

Jameel46

Established Member
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=308919

i have to say that i'm caught in two minds about this, our problem this season has been our finish and whatever you say about Owen you know he's a great finisher and he's at the right place at the right time to score those 'easy' goals, but he does not give you the same brilliance as Henry does, then again we have VP that can do that, so..................

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
please no. owen isnt worth having. he is good but has same situation like woodgate. good player but so injuryproned that it is not worth buying. besides, there are so many good strikers out there in the world currently that makes owen's signing even more meaningless.

have we been linked with that super afonso alves?

Legend#1

Established Member
I'll post only once in this thread to say..

This is definitely not going to happen and is a non starter.

asajoseph

Established Member
I'd be very much in two minds about this - I rate Owen quite highly, still, his finishing and nose for goal are both still excellent.

However, he's always injured these days, and has almost certainly lost a yard of pace - might be interesting if he's a cheap option, but with his salary he's not going to be 'cheap' no matter what the transfer costs.

I really doubt this one is happening.

Zico

Established Member
Owen will wake up one day to realise that he is a dodgy good. At that point he will reconsider his wages or face the grim reality of satisfying himself with years of Intertoto football on Tyneside.

guinertron

Michael Michael.
Its an interesting one, i have posted before that he maybe an option but he has not completed a full season since he was in England with Liverpool. The money that the second hand Car salesmen at Newcastle would want had priced him out of the top four teams now or at least for the time being. He also does have an over inflated ego. The game has moved on since he was anywhere near fit. My advice stay at Newcastle for a year get some games and then have a think about leaving. I can only see it happening if he takes a huge wage cut, accepts that he would be behind RVP and TH. And would be happy rotating. This would not be a bad option as it would keep him fit and fresh. Good finisher but not an Arsenal player nor is Oafy Doafy Martins god no.

Grampus_Eight

Owen could still find the back of the net before his latest injury. But coming off a near-career ending injury and a major, major surgery who is going to pay him his funny money wages?

Surely not the Professor.

Anyway, we've already got the next Michael Owen in Theo Walcott. He has a long way to go before he reaches the level of the 18 year old Owen - but if Theo were given 10 meaningful games up front as the most forward striker, I think he'd score 4-5 goals.

Hopefully, Wenger's experiment of turning him into a footballer instead of just a goalscorer by playing him on the wing will work, but I'd much rather see him create and capitalize on scoring opportunities upfront.

Nutsy

Established Member
I really really really can't see why we should sign Owen to be honest. He's the last thing we need in a striker.

We have Bendtner rising in the ranks who signed a 5 year deal, where in the name of hell are going to fit Owen in? Putting ahead of Ade? You're having a lark.

I admire Owen in his earlier Liverpool days but that's about it. He's 27 Years old, if we had him 10 years ago, then it would be a good signing. he's injury prone, just had a major surgery, and no doubt he'll be very expensive.

really can't see the point tbh.

thegame24

Established Member
if he wasnt injury pron id take him for sure

when henry is out we have zero pace and even with henry we dont have players loking to male runs the way owen does.

Owen would complement all our strikers.

but cant be having the injuries

DC Gunner

Established Member
Gurgen said:
gstew, the big logical fallacy in your post is rating those attributes on the same level. Some are far more important than others.

And his shooting is very poor. Has he scored from outside the box for Arsenal?
How many goals from outside the box did we have this year in total ?

Viper

Established Member
Rosicky
Van Persie
Van Persie again
Van Persie again
Henry
Henry again
Fabregas

From the top of my head that is. There are probably a few more.

DC Gunner

Established Member
Viper said:
Rosicky
Van Persie
Van Persie again
Van Persie again
Henry
Henry again
Fabregas

From the top of my head that is. There are probably a few more.
The only 2 I remember is the RVP one from the cross by eboue and Rosicky's in the CL.

I remember a FK by baptista

>YounGunner< said:
Flamini chelsea?
I just saw the clip, it was from inside the box

Top Bottom