• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Miguel Almirón

Aevi

Hale End FC
http://www.abc.com.py/deportes/futbol/arsenal-el-futuro-de-miguel-almiron-1746770.html

Not sure how reliable, but claims Miguel Almirón is headed our way in January from Atlanta Utd. This guy has been one of the best players in MLS for a couple seasons now. Can play on the wing as well.
For us to sign a player from the MLS I'd want them to be very impressive, and while Almiron's talent is drawing attention I don't know if he's performing well enough for us to take this risk. His numbers aren't that crazy and I've read that his finishing could use some work.

I don't know loads about him though, so I'd be quizzical but intrigued if this happened.

blaze_of_glory

For us to sign a player from the MLS I'd want them to be very impressive, and while Almiron's talent is drawing attention I don't know if he's performing well enough for us to take this risk. His numbers aren't that crazy and I've read that his finishing could use some work.

I don't know loads about him though, so I'd be quizzical but intrigued if this happened.
Yeah I'm honestly not convinced about either the legitimacy of the rumour or if he would actually be good enough for us.

Mastercutor

To compare the quality of the MLS to the PL would be a little like comparing a Skoda to a Mercedes. The Skoda does it's job in a good way and is slowly and steadily building a good reputation, but it lacks that premium feel and the top quality of the Mercedes, which isn't so strange, considering that the MLS only has existed for about 20 years old. There's an interesting article on it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/24/mls-premier-league-comparison

What the article states and what I agree with is that the top players in the MLS are good enough to play in the PL and this is why I find the Almiron rumour so interesting.

If you take a look at the current standings on the player statistics by Whoscored, then Almiron is the best player in the MLS for the moment. just ahead of Zlatan, so I think that could give a hint of his quality. 12 goals and 11 assists in 31 games this year is a decent return and hopefully he can develop even further and adjust to new a new league and environment.

And to conclude, nowadays it seems to be that players from MLS are generating more and more interest from European clubs, Bayern Munich have just signed Alphonso Davies from Vancouver for $13,5 millions, (which also was wanted by Real Madrid and Man Utd amongst others), so there are some talents that are beginning to show up there as well. Hope we can add Almiron to that book as well, should this turn out to be true, and that we've discovered a gem.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Arsenic say the Atalanta president quote maybe fake. and that's could be ture because no US Media report the story.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Doubt we'd be buying players from the MLS. This is a league where Bradley Wright-Phillips is a prolific goalscorer.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard

Out of interest, who do you think is a better option and avilable in January? Seems to me he could be a direct replacement for Ramsey and the club have decided to replace him with this guy.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
for guy who playing as central midfield to have 21 goals and 21 assists in 61 games even if it's in MLS it's impressive.

I really like him, he isn't really a central midfielder though, he's an attacking midfielder/number ten.
It's a poor league but he is a really nice player, fast, creative, lovely left foot.
For that price I'm all for it, you don't get anything for that and he could play/cover all three positions behind the striker comfortably in Emery's favoured 4231.

He's a better number ten than Ramsey, unfortunately story's probably bollocks.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Been on the radar for a while. We were linked to him in the weeks before Atalanta move.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
His record is good.

On the flip side, it's the MLS. They make Rooney look good, and he was finished at the top level here.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
His record is good.

On the flip side, it's the MLS. They make Rooney look good, and he was finished at the top level here.

Rooney would look good playing in Brazil or Argentina too, so the relative quality of MLS (actually a young, athletic league, even if Rooney has better technical qualities than most others) is kind of irrelevant. Nobody seems to question Pavon because he plays in Argentina. Nor did I hear anyone saying "oh, he plays in an inferior league in Argentina" when Arsenal was linked with Almiron a couple of years ago when he was still at Lanus. Almiron is a Paraguayan international who represented them in Copa America Centenario and World Cup qualifying. Watch him play. He's pretty good.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
To compare the quality of the MLS to the PL would be a little like comparing a Skoda to a Mercedes. The Skoda does it's job in a good way and is slowly and steadily building a good reputation, but it lacks that premium feel and the top quality of the Mercedes, which isn't so strange, considering that the MLS only has existed for about 20 years old. There's an interesting article on it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/mar/24/mls-premier-league-comparison

What the article states and what I agree with is that the top players in the MLS are good enough to play in the PL and this is why I find the Almiron rumour so interesting.

If you take a look at the current standings on the player statistics by Whoscored, then Almiron is the best player in the MLS for the moment. just ahead of Zlatan, so I think that could give a hint of his quality. 12 goals and 11 assists in 31 games this year is a decent return and hopefully he can develop even further and adjust to new a new league and environment.

And to conclude, nowadays it seems to be that players from MLS are generating more and more interest from European clubs, Bayern Munich have just signed Alphonso Davies from Vancouver for $13,5 millions, (which also was wanted by Real Madrid and Man Utd amongst others), so there are some talents that are beginning to show up there as well. Hope we can add Almiron to that book as well, should this turn out to be true, and that we've discovered a gem.

Excellent post.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Rooney would look good playing in Brazil or Argentina too, so the relative quality of MLS (actually a young, athletic league, even if Rooney has better technical qualities than most others) is kind of irrelevant. Nobody seems to question Pavon because he plays in Argentina. Nor did I hear anyone saying "oh, he plays in an inferior league in Argentina" when Arsenal was linked with Almiron a couple of years ago when he was still at Lanus. Almiron is a Paraguayan international who represented them in Copa America Centenario and World Cup qualifying. Watch him play. He's pretty good.
See, this is why I posted that. I have no idea how he plays. What's his play style like? His numbers are Lampard-esque

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Tweet by an Argentina football expert:

Almiron on the possibility of playing for Arsenal when he was linked in 2016:

Ultimately, Arsenal didn't move for him and he ended up joining Tata Martino in Atlanta.

And it is Atlanta, not Atalanta. That's in Italy. :D

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
See, this is why I posted that. I have no idea how he plays. What's his play style like? His numbers are Lampard-esque

Lots of pace. Great dribbler. Very good passer. Creative. Can play on either wing or as a No. 10.

Here's a scouting report I remembered seeing from not too long after he joined Atlanta. Sums him up pretty well.

SCOUTING REPORT

Miguel Almirón is a versatile player who can play on either wing, or even behind the striker as a team’s central playmaker. For his new club, Atlanta United, he has been playing behind the center forward, which allows him to see more of the ball and create for his teammates. Almirón gets the crowd out of their seats every time the ball is at his feet, capable of dictating play in the final third. While his primary function is to create for his teammates, he is capable of scoring goals as well. The Paraguayan proved this to be true as he scored two beautiful goals vs Minnesota United in his second game with Atlanta. Almirón also went on to add an assist in Minnesota as well, displaying his fine playmaking ability.

All this being said, Almirón’s primary strength is his dribbling. Almiron is the type of player you would want to lead your counterattacks. Picking the ball up in his own half, Almiron tends to up the length of the pitch and release it to a a teammate or take the shot on himself. This works perfect in Tata Martino’s Atlanta United side as the brand-new side play a fast-paced style. Atlanta’s 4-2-3-1 formation allows Almirón more of a free role in the midfield, ideal for a player of his abilities. Almirón appears to be playing next to Josef Martinez at times in attack, but will also drop a little deeper, allowing him space in midfield to display his fine dribbling. Due to his ability to play on the wing, he tends to drift out wide at times as well, usually on the left side. Against Minnesota, Almirón tried to receive between the lines of midfield and defense. Finding the gaps allowed for the 23-year-old to pick the ball up in space, and turn and face the opposition defense. This is very dangerous for any backline in MLS, as Almirón is one of the deadliest players in counterattacking situations. Almiron enjoys having the ball at his feet and will do whatever it takes to make sure that is the case as much as possible. This is evident as he sits seventh in balls recovered this season, with 20. This is made possible by Atlanta’s young attackers pressing high and forcing the opposition to turn the ball over. While Atlanta enjoy having possession, they do not take care of the ball well enough. Currently sitting near the bottom of MLS with 69% passing accuracy, this is where Almirón’s dribbling comes into play. While picking the ball up in the midfield and beating 2 or 3 men does not improve the teams passing accuracy, it does create a lot of opportunities for his teammates. Atlanta currently sits top of MLS in goals scored and shots on target, and Almirón has played a big part in allowing his club to lead the league in these statistics. Almirón’s endless running allows for his team to pick the ball off in great areas and create chances with just 2 or 3 quick passes. All of these components to Almirón’s game make him one of the scariest players in the league, and can even make him become one of the deadliest players in Europe.

http://breakingthelines.com/scout-reports/scouting-report-miguel-almiron/

Now, whether or not he's good enough for Arsenal is for Sanllehi, Mislintat and Emery to decide. But I have no doubt he could be a good player in the Premier League. And I do think he would be a good fit for Emery's style.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

If we did get him in January that's mean we selling Ramsey. let's get at least 20M better than lose him for free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom