• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Miguel Almirón

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Agree with the broader point that you never rule a player out based on the league they’re playing in (if they’re good enough, they’re good enough) but this is just wrong.

The championship is an incredibly demanding league, well above the MLS in terms of quality and fitness. The odd MLS club might be able to survive in there but the majority are League 1/2 level.

Players who have come from the top levels of Europe thinking they were in for an easy time will tell you that you're wrong. Ask Steven Gerrard, who admitted he was surprised at the quality and had trouble keeping up with the pace. Pirlo also said he was very surprised by the level of play and that what MLS might have lacked in technical qualities, it made up for in speed. You just don't play in MLS without fitness.

Here's what Shaun Maloney said of the season he spent with the Chicago Fire in between Wigan and Hull City:

Speaking to Sky Sports, Maloney gave his impression of MLS and shared his early experiences in American soccer.

“I think [MLS] is an inferior league to parts of the UK,” Maloney said. “I think – coming from the Championship – there’s not much difference.

“I think the vastness of the country and the traveling is obviously something you need to get used to.

“But, no, it’s a good league. Technically, very good. Physically, very good. It’s quite challenging.”

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/05/...hampionship-says-chicago-fires-shaun-maloney/

So who am I supposed to believe, players who have actually played in both European leagues and MLS -- plus my own lying eyes -- or an internet fan narrative that assumes that because MLS is in the United States it's no better than it was when it started 22 years ago?

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
So this rumour is gathering legs..........a long way to go to reach Benzema like status but good to have a juicy transfer to get our teeth into. Who doesn't like transfer gossip!

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I don't like the fact it looks like he's an other CAM.

I would have prefered an upgrade on Xhaka. A young all around CM that has the potential to be worldclass. A signing a la Torreira.

Or a winger.

blaze_of_glory

In the whole Championship vs MLS thing... For every Bradley Wright-Phillips who comes over and excels there are a lot more guys like Shaun Muloney or Jordan Mutch who aren't able to make any impact in MLS at all.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I don't like the fact it looks like he's an other CAM.

I would have prefered an upgrade on Xhaka. A young all around CM that has the potential to be worldclass. A signing a la Torreira.

Or a winger.

He's a CAM but he's quick, he's perfect for those wide attacking midfield positions in a 4231 (or Sunday was more of a 4222) as well as the central position.
Our fullbacks are so offensive that our wide players largely operate in half spaces between the middle and the touchline to invite the overlap.

I really like what I have seen of him, yes it's a poor league but you can see the quality, he covers all three attacking midfield positions and £15m is pocket change in this market.
It's virtually a shot to nothing, hugely on board with this, I think he will surprise people.

Worst comes to the worst and it doesn't work out then we sell him to West Ham.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
He's a CAM but he's quick, he's perfect for those wide attacking midfield positions in a 4231 (or Sunday was more of a 4222) as well as the central position.
Our fullbacks are so offensive that our wide players largely operate in half spaces between the middle and the touchline to invite the overlap.

I really like what I have seen of him, yes it's a poor league but you can see the quality, he covers all three attacking midfield positions and £15m is pocket change in this market.
It's virtually a shot to nothing, hugely on board with this, I think he will surprise people.

Worst comes to the worst and it doesn't work out then we sell him to West Ham.

The thing is we already have those for the season.

I'd like us to get something different. To add some flexibility to our squad.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Is he a winger? Why would we be after him with Nelson and ESR waiting in the wings?
It will be at least three years, realistically five before we can expect Nelson and ESR to produce at the level needed for a CL team.

If anything Almiron is the perfect age to come in here and transition us to Nelson/ESR.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Almiron was already the big thing in la Primera Division in Argentinia. Many were suprised, that Atlanta could bring the "Best Left Foot" from the Primera Division into the MLS.
Rumours, that already some european topclubs wanted him 2016.

An advantage for Atlanta was, that they still have Tata Martino (from Argentinia) as their coach. They knew, that Almiron wouldn't be there for a long time. Almiron helped them instantly, Atlanta developed him and now they could sell him for a bigger fee into Europe.

He isn't a typical CAM - he played already some games as a LW in a 4-3-3 too.

Now imagine Emery wants to play a 4-2-2-2 with Laca and Auba upfront more often. He would be ideal for the LOM spot in this position.

Maybe Almiron/Iwobi and Özil/Mikhitaryan on this positions. Good positions for Smith Rowe (Left) and Nelson (Right) too.

ClubLevel

I would take a chance on an attacking player from the MLS. If it was a defender or goalkeeper on the other hand then I would agree with most comments in this thread.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
being Spanish speaking and presumably now with a fair bit of English too, he should slot into the squad fairly quickly, and hopefully Torreira will help him settle in - he'll be glad to have a buddy only a couple of inches taller than him

I could almost wish we still had Alexis to make up a South American pint-sized triumvirate

say yes

forum master baiter
Players who have come from the top levels of Europe thinking they were in for an easy time will tell you that you're wrong. Ask Steven Gerrard, who admitted he was surprised at the quality and had trouble keeping up with the pace. Pirlo also said he was very surprised by the level of play and that what MLS might have lacked in technical qualities, it made up for in speed. You just don't play in MLS without fitness.

I don't really want to delve too much further into this because people get weirdly over-invested in league comparisons. That being said: this is a rubbish argument.

What could Gerrard or Pirlo tell me about the comparative difficulty of the championship when they've never played in the league? Dodgy appeal to authority which falls down on so many levels.

You've then followed that up with a straw-man: I didn't say anything like you don't need fitness to play in the MLS. All I've said is that it's a level below the championship, which is one of the most frenetic and physically challenging leagues in the world.

Get that chip off your shoulder: there's no shame in the MLS being a less impressive league than the Championship (which is fantastic and I'd rank above most first division leagues outside of the obvious top-ones). No slight is intended.

blaze_of_glory

I don't really want to delve too much further into this because people get weirdly over-invested in league comparisons. That being said: this is a rubbish argument.

What could Gerrard or Pirlo tell me about the comparative difficulty of the championship when they've never played in the league? Dodgy appeal to authority which falls down on so many levels.

You've then followed that up with a straw-man: I didn't say anything like you don't need fitness to play in the MLS. All I've said is that it's a level below the championship, which is one of the most frenetic and physically challenging leagues in the world.

Get that chip off your shoulder: there's no shame in the MLS being a less impressive league than the Championship (which is fantastic and I'd rank above most first division leagues outside of the obvious top-ones). No slight is intended.
All well and good, but you've carefully omitted the part of his post with the quotes by Maloney, who has direct experience with both leagues and said he sees little difference between the two :lol:

Rouski

Woah he is 24!? Deceiving babyface.

Might as well sign Josef Martínez as well.

If we needed another striker Josef Martinez would be a good option, tearing it up in MLS, a lot of Premiership clubs could do with a player like him.

gkoat

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/20...nsfer-rumors-darren-eales-always-fourth-place

Rumors from England began circulating late last week stating that the famed London club were nearing a deal for Almiron for around 11 million euros.

Eales addressed that and several other hot topics regarding Atlanta United with Dukes and Bell. He laughed off the reports by saying “it would take at least triple that” for the club to consider letting the Paraguayan go.

say yes

forum master baiter
All well and good, but you've carefully omitted the part of his post with the quotes by Maloney, who has direct experience with both leagues and said he sees little difference between the two :lol:

There were enough problems with the first paragraph that I didn’t venture much further!

I’ll address that for you though Blaze: someone who has just signed for a MLS club is hardly going to come out and say that the league is rubbish.

Nor are his quotes particulary helpful to Slart’s case. You can jump on the fact he says that there’s not much difference with the championship but that doesn’t negate the fact he still describes the MLS as ‘inferior’.

Moreover, even if you ignore the word inferior and Maloney’s obvious motive in painting the league in an obvious light, it’s still just one person’s opinion. I’d put much more stock in the large amount of successful MLS players who have struggled to make any impact when moving to the UK (far outweighing those who have moved the other way) as an indicator of the league’s quality.

Arsenal Quotes

Of the nine red cards this season we probably deserved half of them

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom