• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
How many games is that now without a loss? Can this be described as a bit of a run?

I find it a bit frustrating. I had just settled in for being Arteta out and now he is winning games again and I start wavering. My problem is I like us winning games and as soon as we string a couple of wins together I am happy again. When people speak about fickle football fans, that is me 100%. ****ing pathetic!
Mid table managers go on runs like this all the time. We’re also coincidently still mid table.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Stay strong, mate. Anything with a bit of nuance about Arsène will have the cultist attacking you like mad.

Arsène was obviously not a great tactician. He was a great manager but perhaps never a great tactician, and if he ever was a great tactician it was at the beginning when his tactics were rather revolutionary in England. His European record also speaks to the fact he was never the greatest of tacticians, even when he was certainly one of the greatest of managers.

I can see what you mean about Fergie in that he was probably a greater manager than tactician too, but it's also hard to see where one starts and one ends and Fergie did indeed have the European success that Wenger didn't have, with the caveat of having far bigger budgets. One's tempted to remember times like when United were simply played off the pitch by Barça and it was clear that Barça was not only on another level talent-wise but also tactically, but then we also have to remember that tactics in football are cyclical or progress from era to era, and that was one great manager at the beginning of an era, at the forefront of the sport (Pep), and another at the end of an era.

I don't know, were Fergie's tactics in the late 1990s revolutionary the way Pep's were then in the late 2000s? Probably not to the same extent, as Fergie's seemed a little bit less about a coherent and drilled tactical approach (not saying they weren't about this, saying a little bit less about) and more about a success built on a more holistic and motivational approach it seems to me...but I was also at different ages where I could appreciate tactics differently, and we are also probably biased psychologically to think that the more current revolutions are the more significant / dramatic ones, forgetting a bit what the former ones really felt like and meant in their time.
If you weren’t so far up Arteta ass that you could speak for him, I would take your paragraphs of drivel more seriously. But can’t take you seriously when a few Athletic propaganda articles convince you that Arteta is the second coming despite 2 years of real world results showing that he’s **** at the job and **** at man management too.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I mean we WERE saying that the last few matches were the true test.

The results were ok, but we saw a LOT to be desired on the pitch. He'll get a free pass against Pool and even Leicester.

Also have a sneaky feeling we'll barely get past Watford. Seems one of the games where we all think we'll be able to build form, and just not turn up.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

The results were ok, but we saw a LOT to be desired on the pitch. He'll get a free pass against Pool and even Leicester.

Also have a sneaky feeling we'll barely get past Watford. Seems one of the games where we all think we'll be able to build form, and just not turn up.
No free pass against Leicester.
Brighton away is a tough match. I'm hoping for 10/12 from the next 4 (at Brighton, Palace, Villa, at Leicester). If that comes with the 2 pts dropped in the next match that's fine. 10/12 will put us very much in for top 4, 12/12 we'll be flying, and 8/10 we'll be still on good course for 5th.
I'll be disappointed if we don't win against Leicester, tbh.

8 pts was my low-end expectation from this period and while I've perhaps even managed to underestimate United's downfall in that post above (8 pts, that is 3 pts against Leicester actually puts us in very good stead for 4th), I still think anything less than 8 pts from these 4 fixtures is quite disappointing in retrospect.

Rodgers is the most overrated manager in the league anyways and Arteta has tended to get the better of him minus the match at home last season in that dreadful period for us, and even in that game we were a bit unlucky (questionably overruled goal, more dominance against Leicester than we had against even low table sides during the period).

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
In my FM save...he just guided Arsenal to ****ing 17th in the league, but won the Conference League.

Think he kept his job too, who says these games aren't realistic :lol:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Teta reads A-M confirmed:
Arteta said that before the quoted Rex Banter message, during the post-match interview?

So did Rex Banter read/listen to Arteta first?

But in any case, even if Nketiah's contract ends in the summer, I would have also played him rather than for example Balogun, because Nketiah has the experience and has shown (especially after summer) more than before and than Balogun has. And he proved it with his goal and performance.

Winning is for the club usually more important than one game of experience for youth. (And Nketiah has improved while Balogun hasn't used his few chances well.)

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Same **** as with Emery. **** football, worrying stats - everything points to stuff being a fluke and not sustainable in the mid to long run - but a few unconvincing wins get people on board because points. We all know how that ended and we all should know how it will end. There are also no free passes imo. There's a few ways to win or lose against clearly superior opposition, but even if you lose the underlying stuff should tell the story, not the result.

El Duderino

Same **** as with Emery. **** football, worrying stats - everything points to stuff being a fluke and not sustainable in the mid to long run - but a few unconvincing wins get people on board because points. We all know how that ended and we all should know how it will end. There are also no free passes imo. There's a few ways to win or lose against clearly superior opposition, but even if you lose the underlying stuff should tell the story, not the result.

OH I agree that there aren't no free passes anymore. We shouldn't roll over for any team.

It's just that the outside and especially inside the club surely see Liverpool as an understandable loss and I think they also think Leicester is likely one as well.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
OH I agree that there aren't no free passes anymore. We shouldn't roll over for any team.

It's just that the outside and especially inside the club surely see Liverpool as an understandable loss and I think they also think Leicester is likely one as well.

If the club thinks that way with the context of how the team performed in terms of convincing play, then that's loser mentality.

El Duderino

If the club thinks that way with the context of how the team performed in terms of convincing play, then that's loser mentality.

33052452-8721921-Vinai_Venkatesham_right_Edu_left_and_Mikel_Arteta_form_the_heart-m-40_1599823767364.jpg

I went searching for a picture of the three and jesus ****, Vinai is actually taller than Arteta.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Not an Arteta fan, but boy would it be epic to behold the meltdown on A-M should he actually become successful with Arsenal! So many over the top posts would have to be justified and/or ignored. It would have to be some Kellyanne Conway level of reality distortion **** coming our way. Hope the internet servers have some extra cooling ready!

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

If anything luck was against us in the Crystal Palace game with the red card and a clear foul in the goal scoring move for them but I won`t complain because our overall performance there did not deserve the win.
Wrong spirit! Still haven’t experienced a referee decision going against us that I haven’t been fully at ease with to loudly complain about!

Kav

Established Member
Not a Arteta fan but not it would be nice to see his fans admit that we haven’t exactly been thrilling to watch and that he’s had the team languishing in mid table for the last two years despite having an outlay to spend in excess of £200Million during that time. It would be nice for them to admit that the team has been poor at times in the league and lacks consistency in both results and performances. Would be nice if he could prove us all wrong and turn into Clough but he won’t.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom