• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I mean we WERE saying that the last few matches were the true test.

The results were ok, but we saw a LOT to be desired on the pitch. He'll get a free pass against Pool and even Leicester.

Also have a sneaky feeling we'll barely get past Watford. Seems one of the games where we all think we'll be able to build form, and just not turn up.
If we're giving a school report I'd say he passed the exam for the last 4 matches but only just. 8 points was the minimum really for an easy-ish run. If he picks up 6 points from the next three games then we're back on pace for Top 6

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
33052452-8721921-Vinai_Venkatesham_right_Edu_left_and_Mikel_Arteta_form_the_heart-m-40_1599823767364.jpg

I went searching for a picture of the three and jesus ****, Vinai is actually taller than Arteta.

All three somehow look like both the ventriloquist and the ventriloquist’s doll.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not an Arteta fan, but boy would it be epic to behold the meltdown on A-M should he actually become successful with Arsenal! So many over the top posts would have to be justified and/or ignored. It would have to be some Kellyanne Conway level of reality distortion **** coming our way. Hope the internet servers have some extra cooling ready!
The reason people have been critical of Arteta is because he's been totally inconsistent, we haven't yet finished above 8th and he's had £200m+ to spend.

If there was some kind of epiphany and he suddenly started playing good football, winning matches and getting us into the top 4, I'd have thought everybody would be happy. Surely that's all we can ask for.

In your experience does that generally happen to managers?

Alexs

If Arteta plays good football and get's us 4th I'll transform my voodoo doll into a statue.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
The reason people have been critical of Arteta is because he's been totally inconsistent, we haven't yet finished above 8th and he's had £200m+ to spend.

If there was some kind of epiphany and he suddenly started playing good football, winning matches and getting us into the top 4, I'd have thought everybody would be happy. Surely that's all we can ask for.

Weirdly it sometimes does. I never quite understand why either. Look at Moyes at West Ham for example. Who saw that one coming? Or Claudio Ranieri with Leicester. Not saying that it's common, or that is likely. But sometimes it does click. Can't think of examples where someone has been at a club for 18 months but I'm sure they are there. Wasn't Ferguson really bad for the first 12 months at United? Maybe that's one

mpower2540

Think that’s the hope. There were hallmarks of the Villa game that were so much better. Sambi not doing the stupid hybrid LB thing and actually forming a midfield with Partey, Tavares not having to start high up and be our whole attack and just our front footed positioning off the ball.

You’ve bought the back 5 mate, time to trust them rather than getting every single man back and having no exits. White, Gabriel, Ramsdale, even Tomiyasu were finding men from potentially tricky situations against Villa because they had forward options. We have real passing quality from the back now, help them show it.

My fears are Villa were garbage, although to give credit I think we forced them to be. The other is, when Xhaka inevitably comes back in the team we’ll play him back in the hybrid LB role, start Tierney high and revert back to what we’ve been doing before.

I don’t rate Arteta but I don’t think he’s an idiot either, I like to think he’s intelligent enough to change and accept the team we are rather than trying this overly complicated, big brain bollocks. Fingers crossed.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

To answer your question. No, and I doubt it will happen here. But it also not a 100% certainty that it will not happen. What keeps me hopeful is that the team seems to be behind him still. That is why I think Ole is in worse trouble. Another manager that you can rightfully critique.

My issue, and why I was having a bit of a laugh in my last post, is more with the over the top comments and total misrepresentation of the views of posters that aren't as rabid as some. It is total group think here on A-M. To get likes and positive feedback posters notice that the more rampant Arteta out you are the better. Dissidents are hounded out and ridiculed. It's basic group psychology dynamics.

Right now e.g. I don't think A-M is very close to where the overall Arsenal fan base is with regards to its views on Arteta and the team. Especially not with the match going fans. I actually partly think they relish being in what feels to me as a dogfight and doing their part in supporting their team. It's partly how I feel. Yes, we are a stodgy watch often but we/I support Arsenal and that to me is most of the fun! I started supporting Arsenal because of Wenger and his football, but that boat has sailed now and I will remain an Arsenal supporter. Just like I support the Denver Broncos, Hannover 96 and Djurgårdens IF. That is the way it is!

Finally, as a group we here at A-M are way more negative and radical. If you are kind you can call us an avant-garde, and if you are not, a somewhat deluded group of lost internet souls... ;)

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
To answer your question. No, and I doubt it will happen here. But it also not a 100% certainty that it will not happen. What keeps me hopeful is that the team seems to be behind him still. That is why I think Ole is in worse trouble. Another manager that you can rightfully critique.

My issue, and why I was having a bit of a laugh in my last post, is more with the over the top comments and total misrepresentation of the views of posters that aren't as rabid as some. It is total group think here on A-M. To get likes and positive feedback posters notice that the more rampant Arteta out you are the better. Dissidents are hounded out and ridiculed. It's basic group psychology dynamics.

Right now e.g. I don't think A-M is very close to where the overall Arsenal fan base is with regards to its views on Arteta and the team. Especially not with the match going fans. I actually partly think they relish being in what feels to me as a dogfight and doing their part in supporting their team. It's partly how I feel. Yes, we are a stodgy watch often but we/I support Arsenal and that to me is most of the fun! I started supporting Arsenal because of Wenger and his football, but that boat has sailed now and I will remain an Arsenal supporter. Just like I support the Denver Broncos, Hannover 96 and Djurgårdens IF. That is the way it is!

Finally, as a group we here at A-M are way more negative and radical. If you are kind you can call us an avant-garde, and if you are not, a somewhat deluded group of lost internet souls... ;)

It's a weird situation with Arteta I feel.

When that stat got brought up that Arteta had won more games than Wenger in the comparable amount of matches at the start of their tenure that genuinely shocked me, even factoring in a number of gimmie matches Arteta had in the Europa League that skewed it in his favour. It didn't feel correct emotionally.

When you look at Arteta's tenure to date. I break it up into 3 phases.

His first half season where he was 1 point off top 4 and won the FA cup playing some fairly nice football. That was a nice start.

The first 3 or so months of his second season where we couldn't seem to buy any form or a result. That was absolutely turgid stuff.

Then the remainder of the season where we were comfortably on top 4 form. Playing some decent stuff at times but often just feeling a little bit flat.

When you look at it like that out of the nearly 2 years he's been here Arteta has had us performing to par or maybe a little above it results wise for the majority of his spell here, bar those horror months at the start of last season.

Maybe I'm being drawn into a lot of the negativity around Arteta but it doesn't feel like he's done as well as the results he's got has suggested. I think that probably boils down to us not playing consistently entertaining or attractive football. It makes the results feel lesser somehow 🤔

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Think that’s the hope. There were hallmarks of the Villa game that were so much better. Sambi not doing the stupid hybrid LB thing and actually forming a midfield with Partey, Tavares not having to start high up and be our whole attack and just our front footed positioning off the ball.

You’ve bought the back 5 mate, time to trust them rather than getting every single man back and having no exits. White, Gabriel, Ramsdale, even Tomiyasu were finding men from potentially tricky situations against Villa because they had forward options. We have real passing quality from the back now, help them show it.

My fears are Villa were garbage, although to give credit I think we forced them to be. The other is, when Xhaka inevitably comes back in the team we’ll play him back in the hybrid LB role, start Tierney high and revert back to what we’ve been doing before.

I don’t rate Arteta but I don’t think he’s an idiot either, I like to think he’s intelligent enough to change and accept the team we are rather than trying this overly complicated, big brain bollocks. Fingers crossed.
Well put, especially the part highlighted. Against Villa the team looked balanced. There were good player to player interaction across the pitch and our players worked well in pairs and as a team. Hope Arteta can stick with that for a while. And Xhaka isn't back until January so there are quite a few games for other players to step up. And hopefully Arteta has learned from the Leno - Emi debacle so once Xhaka is back he has this as a bit of a brake for immediately switching back.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Weirdly it sometimes does. I never quite understand why either. Look at Moyes at West Ham for example. Who saw that one coming? Or Claudio Ranieri with Leicester. Not saying that it's common, or that is likely. But sometimes it does click. Can't think of examples where someone has been at a club for 18 months but I'm sure they are there. Wasn't Ferguson really bad for the first 12 months at United? Maybe that's one

Moyes just picked poorly after Everton. The Utd job was too big and then he went to Spain for some reason and then super dysfunctional Sunderland.

He showed far more than Arteta has early in his career. He used to have Everton performing way above their means and was great at PNE before that.

Also I find the Ferguson comparison really jarring because he broke up the old firm in Scotland with Aberdeen and won a European trophy.

He was one of the best managers in Europe before he took the Utd job whereas with Arteta all we have to go on is what he’s shown us.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

It's a weird situation with Arteta I feel.

When that stat got brought up that Arteta had won more games than Wenger in the comparable amount of matches at the start of their tenure that genuinely shocked me, even factoring in a number of gimmie matches Arteta had in the Europa League that skewed it in his favour. It didn't feel correct emotionally.

When you look at Arteta's tenure to date. I break it up into 3 phases.

His first half season where he was 1 point off top 4 and won the FA cup playing some fairly nice football. That was a nice start.

The first 3 or so months of his second season where we couldn't seem to buy any form or a result. That was absolutely turgid stuff.

Then the remainder of the season where we were comfortably on top 4 form. Playing some decent stuff at times but often just feeling a little bit flat.

When you look at it like that out of the nearly 2 years he's been here Arteta has had us performing to par or maybe a little above it results wise for the majority of his spell here, bar those horror months at the start of last season.

Maybe I'm being drawn into a lot of the negativity around Arteta but it doesn't feel like he's done as well as the results he's got has suggested. I think that probably boils down to us not playing consistently entertaining or attractive football. It makes the results feel lesser somehow 🤔
What you describe is what gets us to an 8th position in the league. :)

Here is where I am at. Arteta has had enough time in general and really needs to show results. He is a totally inexperienced manager and he clearly is trying to find his feet and he definitely is learning on the job. What I think is his saving grace is that he has the team behind him and that he handles the media quite well. This buys him time and has bought him time. He also seems to have the support of those upstairs. When it comes to his tactical ability I think he is trying too much when he should try less. I am not for 100% tactical rigidity but at times it helps to let the team play in one way for a while to help them settle in that way of playing.

All I am hoping for is a nuanced view on Arteta. We have finished 8th during the 1.5 season he has been in charge and he needs to improve on that. With Wenger we finished 5th and 6th or something in the last two seasons. With Emery 5th and then that season where we tanked and Arteta came in 8th. Our club and team clearly are a work in progress. Arteta has stumbled quite a bit but so far he has managed to keep that bicycle upright, but there have been some close shaves.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Moyes just picked poorly after Everton. The Utd job was too big and then he went to Spain for some reason and then super dysfunctional Sunderland.

He showed far more than Arteta has early in his career. He used to have Everton performing way above their means and was great at PNE before that.

Also I find the Ferguson comparison really jarring because he broke up the old firm in Scotland with Aberdeen and won a European trophy.

He was one of the best managers in Europe before he took the Utd job whereas with Arteta all we have to go on is what he’s shown us.
Moyes is a good coach. Ferguson was a great coach as was Wenger. Comparing Arteta to any of the three right now makes little sense. Arteta is a beginner and to be frank that shows at times. But we cannot hire a beginner and expect that coach not to be a beginner. This was baked in from the start.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Those are all very different examples though bro. Fergie had already won a European Cup, he was experienced and successful before coming to United. Under those circumstances it seems reasonable to give him time.

Moyes did really well with Everton. According to Transfermarkt 2002 to 2013 they were investing 11th but he never dropped below that once, finishing in the top 4, and 5th twice. At United when he was sacked his results were very similar to Mourinho and LVG. He’s an experienced manager too.

And Ranieri was a complete fluke, the following season he divided back down the league and was sacked.

Most managers have always cycled up and down, the longevity and sustained form of Arsène and Fergie were exceptional.

Last edited:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Well put, especially the part highlighted. Against Villa the team looked balanced. There were good player to player interaction across the pitch and our players worked well in pairs and as a team. Hope Arteta can stick with that for a while. And Xhaka isn't back until January so there are quite a few games for other players to step up. And hopefully Arteta has learned from the Leno - Emi debacle so once Xhaka is back he has this as a bit of a brake for immediately switching back.

Arteta definitely over thinks things tactically and ends up tripping himself up. I think it's one of his biggest weaknesses.

I guess the flaws that he has are generally ones that stem from being an inexperienced manager, so though I'd have liked to have seen him removed at the end of last season I tend to put more of the blame on the decision makers behind the scenes than Arteta himself.

We've got an inexperienced manager who's behaving in a way and making the mistakes you'd expect an inexperienced manager to make. I guess we'll see if he's got the ability learn from those mistakes and push on as a manager.

Some of the things I see with him give me hope and others make me feel pretty pessimistic.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Most managers have always cycled up and down, the longevity and sustained form of Arsène and Fergie were exceptional.
Great managers and great clubs! Two different approaches to managing but equally good results. Fergie had more financial backing though. Wenger carried this club on his shoulders for well over a decade. That and the undefeated season makes him in my view top Fergie.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
The thing with Moyes is that every manager's reputation goes to dogsh*t after managing Man Utd post Fergie, same with players like Pogba and Martial. It's an awful club really, graveyard for careers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom