• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Develop what? Arteta is a manager, not a player, you can't "develop" a manager like he is a player. What you have seen over the past 2 seasons is Artetaball in action and the philosophy he is aiming for. Even with more time and better players we will never turn into some high scoring team under Arteta. So either you like the type of football Arteta is aiming for and you support him no matter how much we lose, or you say we need a new manager.

Why do you think the board have backed Mikel for two years, despite the poor results?

Your answer to the above question would explain to you why they are developing Mikel into a manager.

Point is, I think the waiting game here is going to be too risky a move. The club should not continue to try and force matters when things are moving quite swiftly around the club.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
"We are buying young players to develop, our project will take some time"
"And when are you gonna challenge for Top 4 at least?"
Arteta & Edu:
9GJwegO.jpg

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
I want Arteta gone come next days however I think of our midfield and it's a travesty to what we are known for. Not even a fusion of Pep and Klopp could save us.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Mikel is not ready to coach and consistently deliver at the top level yet, unfortunately that’s clear to see. I had been hoping he could just grind things out until he developed his approach enough.

I think the real challenge, which he is also failing at, is the fact he isn’t developing fast enough, and this is the area I feel the club have been banking on. Riding out Arteta’s growing pains for a potential long term payout at the end.

The club needs to be realistic and look at what’s going on around it, make the moves early enough before we are stuck with mediocre options or until Arteta gets it consistently right, which could still be a year or even two away.

I like him as a person, his boldness and drive professionally and really want to see him succeed with us. But we must also face key facts like points on the board.

It should be Potter or Ten Hag next season really, we can’t afford to fall behind anymore.

Er....There's no guarantee that he will eventually get it right.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Why do you think the board have backed Mikel for two years, despite the poor results?

Your answer to the above question would explain to you why they are developing Mikel into a manager.

Point is, I think the waiting game here is going to be too risky a move. The club should not continue to try and force matters when things are moving quite swiftly around the club.

They were expecting top 4 last season. That just shows you their commitment to "developing" a manager. Which is a moronic idea for a club our size. But our club is run by ****ing ******. I've never seen such a poorly run business. This isn't Joe's Kebab shop FFS. It's a business with 300M+ revenue.

SA Gunner

Er....There's no guarantee that he will eventually get it right.

There is no guarantee of course.

But I do think, based on the feedback from professionals in the game, that he will become a great manager in future. That's exactly what I think the club are continuing to gamble on.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Since Christmas, in the calendar year, since the first international break.

They keep finding new starting points but it doesn’t matter, as the sample size grows he will always show himself up. That’s why he finished 8th after 38 games.

Not once, but twice.

The man is, if nothing else, the epitome of consistent mediocrity 🤣

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Can't believe people went after The King in order to protect their b*tch boy last week. What a disgraceful fanbase we have.

You better believe it.

This fanbase is full of Tet's cultists.

Hopefully, they'll **** off & dissociate with Arsenal completely once we're shot of him & his pathetic experiment.

scytheavatar

Established Member

They backed him because your definition of "poor results" doesn't match their definition........ we already know that the same board seasons ago couldn't understand why fans were unhappy with Wenger when we have Özil and Sanchez playing for us. I think you are giving the Kroenkes too much credit in thinking they see Arteta as some kind of project they need to stick their heads out for.

There is no guarantee of course.

But I do think, based on the feedback from professionals in the game, that he will become a great manager in future. That's exactly what I think the club are continuing to gamble on.

Same professionals were praising Emery as one of the best in the business.......... look at how that turned out.

FinnGooner

Established Member
I find this really baffling. Am I in some weird alternate reality? Arteta has no track record whatsoever as a manager. There is ZERO evidence that he's any good. But somehow it just seems to be OK for a lot of people that he is the manager of Arsenal FC. We might be on a away down but we're still a big club. There is no reason for an assistant coach to be our manager. Where does this utterly blind faith come from? Am I missing something? I know there are also critical voices towards him among the fan base but still, way too much acceptance. Everybody should be full on "Arteta out" at this point. Zero progress whatsoever in 3 years. It's insane for this to be OK to any fan. We've basically chained our entire club to a project to just see if Arteta can do a job as manager or is he just an assistant coach. This kind of projects belong to Tier 3 football league, not Arsenal FC.

SA Gunner

They backed him because your definition of "poor results" doesn't match their definition........ we already know that the same board seasons ago couldn't understand why fans were unhappy with Wenger when we have Özil and Sanchez playing for us. I think you are giving the Kroenkes too much credit in thinking they see Arteta as some kind of project they need to stick their heads out for.

Why do you think the club have and are backing Arteta, and giving him so much money then?

scytheavatar

Established Member
Why do you think the club have and are backing Arteta, and giving him so much money then?

Same reason some fans are backing Arteta, we can have Hitler as our manager right now and these people will perform mental gymnastics about why we can't sack him too.

They also probably realized that they treated Emery badly and he might have done more for us had we backed him more, so we might be seeing an overcorrection.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm living in a parallel universe. Reading Reddit threads and social media comments about how "Arteta needs better finishers to complement hard work" when we're creating 1 clear-cut chance per match lol.
Tbf we missed very good chances in that game - although it's a sad argument as we only looked like scoring when we lost the lead. Almost like the players ditch the tactics and go for it which suggests underlying problems with the original instructions/tactics.

SA Gunner

Same reason some fans are backing Arteta, we can have Hitler as our manager right now and these people will perform mental gymnastics about why we can't sack him too.

They also probably realized that they treated Emery badly and he might have done more for us had we backed him more, so we might be seeing an overcorrection.

So if I understand you correctly.

Our board are continuing to back and spend substantially on a young manager, with no proven past track record, because they want to correct their previous bad treatment of Unai Emery.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The club has to back their manager - we backed Wenger in his later years and done the same with Emery. They'll rightly back the manager until they can't. I just fear what they want from the season won't align with fans expectations.

Personally I could argue a top 8 finish is a success and finishing 2nd is a failure - context is key here. The context of our season is its there for the taking but we don't look capable. Our performances, results, goals for and against aren't good enough. But the club will have some bland assessment of European football, with us 7th and 4 points from 4th with lots of games to go, we are on course to achieve their goal.

SA Gunner

The club has to back their manager - we backed Wenger in his later years and done the same with Emery. They'll rightly back the manager until they can't. I just fear what they want from the season won't align with fans expectations.

Personally I could argue a top 8 finish is a success and finishing 2nd is a failure - context is key here. The context of our season is its there for the taking but we don't look capable. Our performances, results, goals for and against aren't good enough. But the club will have some bland assessment of European football, with us 7th and 4 points from 4th with lots of games to go, we are on course to achieve their goal.

Good post.

I would add that the club are not only obliged to back the manager, but they have also done enough analysis on the viability of backing someone with the experience and abilities that Arteta currently has, and can grow into. That analysis has clearly still been favourable, thus Mikel retaining his position.

The question I have is, at what point does the club say that the returns are not sufficient enough anymore to continue with the project. Especially when you look at our competitors and generally how the league is moving.

scytheavatar

Established Member
So if I understand you correctly.

Our board are continuing to back and spend substantially on a young manager, with no proven past track record, because they want to correct their previous bad treatment of Unai Emery.

Yes, and as Arteta fails to get results I expect them to reduce that backing very quickly. Whether or not that will led to Arteta's sacking I don't know, but if he is still our manager next season don't expect our spending next summer to be as much as what we spent this summer.

SA Gunner

Yes, and as Arteta fails to get results I expect them to reduce that backing very quickly. Whether or not that will led to Arteta's sacking I don't know, but if he is still our manager next season don't expect our spending next summer to be as much as what we spent this summer.

Mate, I dont think any serious organisation would take a key decision because they feel bad about a previous decision, and want to correct it.

Organisations work on generating profits, getting back greater returns for any investments made. Once the bottom line starts to suffer, investors lose confidence, or not enough returns on investment, do you see changes being made.

You should be asking yourself... "when does the Arteta investment not seem worth it anymore", not "We've given Arteta 2 years. Do you think people will forgive us now for how we mistreated Emery".

Last edited:
Top Bottom