• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted โญ

Player:Rice
It gets out of control on here with all the youth talk.

Saka, ESR and Martinelli are enough youth to be focused on as of now.

The rest can wait till next season or until we can't qualify for Europe to get a few dead rubber matches for experience. Results are imperative right now, it's not the time for debuting kids to be learning ( and naturally making mistakes) on the job.

All that said, good performance and result today. Sheffield United are an exceptionally poor side though so I'm not going to read too much into it.

Iceman10

Established Member

The rest can wait till next season or until we can't qualify for Europe to get a few dead rubber matches for experience. Results are imperative right now, it's not the time for debuting kids to be learning ( and naturally making mistakes) on the job.

All that said, good performance and result today. Sheffield United are an exceptionally poor side though so I'm not going to read too much into it.

Arteta stated his resistance to playing Martinelli pre-match on rather dubious grounds, but maybe after feeling pressure he finally gave him a chance, but still only one chance so far. There is still strong likelihood that Arteta will revert back to William for Slavia. I do agree that chances for Azeez and some others off the bench would just be token at best, I have no worries if they are training with the first team for now, but they must get a fair chance pre-season and at least early next season with cup competitions to start off with.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted โญ

Player:Rice
Arteta stated his resistance to playing Martinelli pre-match on rather dubious grounds, but maybe after feeling pressure he finally gave him a chance, but still only one chance so far. There is still strong likelihood that Arteta will revert back to William for Slavia. I do agree that chances for Azeez and some others off the bench would just be token at best, I have no worries if they are training with the first team for now, but they must get a fair chance pre-season and at least early next season with cup competitions to start off with.

If Martinelli isn't picked to start against Slavia, I think that will be a mistake from Arteta personally.

It's just stupid the way people hype up our youths to a ridiculous degree. Too many people play FM and think you can just throw kids in and play with a team with an average age of 20 or something and be successful.

Azeez obviously has talent so I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops in the future. I think in a year or so he'll probably be at least a squad player.

I think a lot don't recognise how good a position we are in with our youth. Even just having Martinelli, Saka and ESR come through and make their mark is pretty impressive.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted โญ

Hmm I dunno.

You see for me (and I'm only speaking about my personal feelings), what gets me is that we give minutes, even if only here and there, to players like Elneny, Willian, Ceballos to an extent, Cedric, take a pick at any of our CBs on an average day (bar Gabriel), when you could ask are they streets above AMN (for full back or midfield), Willock, Nelson, Martinelli (though Arteta might've finally seen the light), Saliba?

Point is there seems to be a leniency in my mind to completely bang average senior players. Precious time that could've been spent atleast, at the very very least on developing youngsters.

Imagine if Martinelli had been seeing regular game time since he came back. Imagine if AMN got all of Cedric's minutes.

Imagine if Willock got Ceballos's minutes, imagine if Nelson got all of Willian's minutes, imagine if Balogun might've been asking questions by now.

Would we be any worse off in the leauge? Doubt it. Would we have started to build for the future.......a future, let me say, that unless we win the EL, won't be flowing with cash. I think yes.

Iceman10

Established Member
If Martinelli isn't picked to start against Slavia, I think that will be a mistake from Arteta personally.

It's just stupid the way people hype up our youths to a ridiculous degree. Too many people play FM and think you can just throw kids in and play with a team with an average age of 20 or something and be successful.

Azeez obviously has talent so I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops in the future. I think in a year or so he'll probably be at least a squad player.

I think a lot don't recognise how good a position we are in with our youth. Even just having Martinelli, Saka and ESR come through and make their mark is pretty impressive.

Maybe an overreaction, but I still go back to questions over Arteta saying we should trust the process of a project to give him time and space while he has a kind of โ€œsafe placeโ€ with selections of players such as Luiz, Elneny, and Willian, and us wondering if he will persist with that next season, blocking opportunities for younger players (Saliba, CM, Martinelli/Reiss). Have to always remember that fans drooling over the potential talent pipeline is the only compensatory mechanism they have for patience with an apparent โ€œrebuildingโ€ process.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
The job at Arsenal was much harder. Apparently West Ham has better squad and it was easier job logic Arteta fans
Oh yeah and he finished 5th with Man Utd and did sod all at Sociedad.

Also if we landed Lingaard on loan instead of ร˜degaard we'd be 2nd right now.

It should really be Lingaard > Arteta

Kav

Established Member
I think what i am saying is straightforward lol
We are in transition.
If that doesnt fit in with some peoples agenda there is little i can do?

Transition from what to what? Because while I donโ€™t disagree. The question is where are we headed. Presently the transition seems to be 6th to 8th to 10th. Not exactly progressive.
Not the kind of transition that most would welcome either.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it โฉ
It's all well and good trusting youngsters but where are the goals coming from?

Saka, Martinelli, ร˜degaard and ESR aren't prolific goalscorers. Every top team needs at least two in the attack. Striker and one or ideally both wingers.

Hopefully Martinelli can become prolific with more game time of course.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it โฉ
Transition from what to what? Because while I donโ€™t disagree. The question is where are we headed. Presently the transition seems to be 6th to 8th to 10th. Not exactly progressive.
Not the kind of transition that most would welcome either.

We've hit the low point now. It's time to bounce accordingly. We won't get any lower, the transition was always going to be happening until we got rid of previous regimes players on ridiculous wages. Ie mustafi, ร–zil, Kola etc.

Now they've gone you can actually start rebalancing the squad properly.

Bosniak Gooner

Sheffield, a tidy bit stronger than a gust of wind tonight.

But hey, at least I got entertained for a couple of minutes.

But seriously, we need good footballing players, good in possession, more maestro's please!

All in all, both sides were technically very poor, I hope Slavia dont knock us out since I am anticipating the Arteta v Emery grande duel.

Kav

Established Member
We've hit the low point now. It's time to bounce accordingly. We won't get any lower, the transition was always going to be happening until we got rid of previous regimes players on ridiculous wages. Ie mustafi, ร–zil, Kola etc.

Now they've gone you can actually start rebalancing the squad properly.

I will accept the point about the wages but that has not been relevant to our on the pitch performances. The players you listed were not playing regularly this season before they were shipped out. Therefore they did not contribute to our poor performances. In fact they canโ€™t be blamed for the mess. So the notion that getting rid of them is a good thing is not substantiated. They didnโ€™t play and their absence canโ€™t be cited as the reason for our improvement from being crap to average.

Just saying the truth.

Bosniak Gooner

I will accept the point about the wages but that has not been relevant to our in pitch performances. The players you listed were not playing regularly this season before they were shipped out. Therefore they did not contribute to our poor performances. In fact they canโ€™t be blamed for the mess. So the notion that getting rid of them is a good thing is not substantiated.

Just saying the truth.
Mate, I don't know why you even bother replying to that ridiculous comment. Fantasy land this kid is living in.

Reactions: Kav

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it โฉ
I will accept the point about the wages but that has not been relevant to our on the pitch performances. The players you listed were not playing regularly this season before they were shipped out. Therefore they did not contribute to our poor performances. In fact they canโ€™t be blamed for the mess. So the notion that getting rid of them is a good thing is not substantiated. They didnโ€™t play and their absence canโ€™t be cited as the reason for our improvement from being crap to average.

Just saying the truth.

Certainly agree. I just think a happy camp is a good one, and with the amount of dross hanging around it can't have been easy in training.

My main issue is the consistency, we've shown flashes of brilliance throughout the season but not often enough. What is that down to? Because if they're showing it they're being coached it.

I know you'll disagree but the players are a big issue here. Like I said in today's match day thread the players are good enough to not be in 10th thats obvious. They should probably be around 6th or 7th. However we have so many who will have a 9/10 performance followed by four 2-5/10 displays. Ceballos, Pepe, Holding, Bellerin and Laca just to name a few regulars.

You then have the consistently good performers like Tierney, Saka and I'd throw ร˜degaard and ESR in there along with Leno to some extent despite his shaky moments recently. And in fairness Xhaka as well, think he's shown up massively since his red card.

I dont think it's just about signings and getting better players, it's about getting consistent players who will give you 7-10/10's every single week. Not a roller coaster of performances over a season. And right now we still have too many roller coaster players who are regular starters.

Hopefully I put this across well, I don't usually word it well and will often blame the players, but this is my reasoning. Of course Arteta is to blame for certain things and his man management is weak, but I do believe he's a top coach.

Kav

Established Member
Consistency has certainly been a issue for the team this season. We can't seem to get a run of wins going, that has been said by myself and others. However one of the reasons for that is because the manager shoots himself in the foot and creates unnecessary problems. He will find a system that works and just randomly changes it for no apparent reason, which leads to the inevitable sub par performance in the subsequent games. His man management is one of the reasons we don't have a settled squad. He's new to management and he's trying to imprint his authority and style i get that, however knowing how to manage people to perform tasks is the biggest part of his job and he's created disunity in the squad on his own.

He needs some more experience before he takes on such a difficult job at a club like ours.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom