• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
A team that finished 8th twice under his watch, was at times in the relegation zone, got the FA Cup cause of a firing Aubameyang and that has now been spent on myriads of money to finally get him to perform.

I have to admit I am beyond saying Arteta is a bad manager per se, but he's as much a cashbook manager as his master Pep. Don't get @Makingtrax squad cost thing started cause for the most it should be clear the more you spend the better the players you get the more likely you are to do well, but guys like Pep and Arteta are imo still limited as coaches as they are dependent on not only certain types of players but also certain types of players of a certain quality. Neither of them would be able to get a 2nd league side promoted or turn a struggling top flight team into a mainstay.

Of course now that they are at the top end of things coaches like Tuchel or Klopp advice their Dofs to get or get themselves players who fit their prefered style, but these guys also did it at financially weaker teams and still were successfull. Pep has kickstarted this ****, and he's only where he is cause he didn't have to start with Girona but with prime Messi Barca. Had he have done his stuff at a 2nd league team he'd be in nowhere man's land today. I always say there's a German Pep in Alex Zorniger who didn't have the fortune of getting his first job at Barca, but at some 3rd league team and still succeeded to some degree, but who by now has fallen so much that he has to coach on ****ing Cyprus. Still the same brand of footie, just not the same amount of talent and money.

And speaking from personal experience, I got a stock of 5 U14 players, and I need to get them to a competitive level, that's my ****ing job as a coach. Saying these 5 players are ****e and then poaching 5 better players from another academy who are better (like Pep and Arteta do) is not good coaching per se. It's jumping the coaching bit for getting players ready made to do your bidding.

Finished 8th after inheriting an unbalanced dysfunctional squad full of players that were either severely over-paid and acted like they were doing Arsenal FC a favour or players that Stevie Wonder could see were not anywhere close to the required standard. All coupled with a complacent second-rate culture and mentality all built by Wenger.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I think I must be an outlier on the Adebayor stuff then. I just never really saw it with him, though he did score a decent amount of goals admittedly. Rated RVP and Eduardo over him, though both had significant injury issues around that time.

I think for me it was because I never viewed him as clinical, even when he was scoring a lot he'd miss quite a lot of really good chances. I found him quite a scruffy player too.

Lacked the grace of a Henry too, but I guess anyone was going to look like a downgrade after Thierry.

Could you imagine how A-M would be if any of our current players were capable of this?

Ofcourse this was caveman football where the level was so poor etc. Shots heading towards the top corner don’t work anymore cause of techrology.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Could you imagine how A-M would be if any of our current players were capable of this?

Ofcourse this was caveman football where the level was so poor etc. Shots heading towards the top corner don’t work anymore cause of techrology.
Modern football doesn't allow first touches like that anymore. Different pace to the game, TV monies level playing field, today West Brom and Forest would be CL contenders elsewhere etc

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

I mean, yeah, that was a really good goal but plenty of decent or even poor players have scored worldies.
I don't think one great goal really negates my overall point.

To me the hallmark of a great striker is how clinical they are in front of goal. I never felt Adebayor was particularly. I feel the same about Jesus tbh though I like a lot about him.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Very strange how Pep was managing back in the days of caveman football, but nobody says the game’s passed him by. It’s like Pep had the brains to adapt to ‘modern football’ and it’s nothing to do with getting a gig at the richest club in the world. Wenger, who’s brain was clearly becoming addled, couldn’t adapt and it had nothing to do with thousands of fans shouting abuse at him and his team, and flying planes telling him to **** off.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

:lol:

Had Haaland done the below and KDB dinked it over to him, people would be exploding in their pants and saying he’s the second coming of R9:

Actually, I remember Neymar doing something similar and Twitter completely crashed.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I mean, yeah, that was a really good goal but plenty of decent or even poor players have scored worldies.
I don't think one great goal really negates my overall point.

To me the hallmark of a great striker is how clinical they are in front of goal. I never felt Adebayor was particularly. I feel the same about Jesus tbh though I like a lot about him.

I'm not trying to make anyone rate Ade's Arsenal stint, if they don't that's on them. I think we would be lucky to have any of our young players be showing what these guys were showing back then. I even said earlier I wouldn't be surprised if Arteta's Arsenal turns out to be the peak for many of these guys.

For context, Ade was Sambi's age when he joined the club, with big shoes to fill with Henry injured in his debut season (and then leaving) and VP perpetually injured. There was no 8th placed finishes or excuses etc, these guys were expected to challenge (by the fans, clearly not internally). They were built a bit different.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'm not trying to make anyone rate Ade's Arsenal stint, if they don't that's on them. I think we would be lucky to have any of our young players be showing what these guys were showing back then. I even said earlier I wouldn't be surprised if Arteta's Arsenal turns out to be the peak for many of these guys.

For context, Ade was Sambi's age when he joined the club, with big shoes to fill with Henry injured in his debut season (and then leaving) and VP perpetually injured. There was no 8th placed finishes or excuses etc, these guys were expected to challenge (by the fans, clearly not internally). They were built a bit different.

Yeah, but 07/08 era shouldn't be viewed at as a peak of anything either. We had better sides and players in the Wenger years before that. Unless that's people's first Arsenal team as fans, I don't really get the fascination with that side. Clear downgrade on the sides before it in my opinion.

Like I'm not saying Adebayor wasn't good and I probably am underestimating him somewhat but I can't get overly excited about him or hold him up as a player young lads coming through today should look up to when the likes of Wright, Anelka and Henry came before him.

I agree on the second paragraph though. You want young players to grasp their opportunities when they arise. Sort of how Saka got his chance through an injury crisis and never looked back. It would be nice if it happened more frequently though.

Not sure this side were built that differently though. They pretty much bottled the title after Eduardo's horrible injury. Showed a bit of a soft underbelly that previous sides wouldn't have.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The expectation was massive back then. Top 4 disappointing, only a league win will do, no matter the spend. Really harsh on the manager and club.

People underestimate the praise Arteta should get for rebooting the fans imho. Any future Arsenal manager will be very grateful for that.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Yeah, but 07/08 era shouldn't be viewed at as a peak of anything either. We had better sides and players in the Wenger years before that. Unless that's people's first Arsenal team as fans, I don't really get the fascination with that side. Clear downgrade on the sides before it in my opinion.

Like I'm not saying Adebayor wasn't good and I probably am underestimating him somewhat but I can't get overly excited about him or hold him up as a player young lads coming through today should look up to when the likes of Wright, Anelka and Henry came before him.

I agree on the second paragraph though. You want young players to grasp their opportunities when they arise. Sort of how Saka got his chance through an injury crisis and never looked back. It would be nice if it happened more frequently though.

Not sure this side were built that differently though. They pretty much bottled the title after Eduardo's horrible injury. Showed a bit of a soft underbelly that previous sides wouldn't have.

Those who know me know I do not really care for the entirety of the Emirates era at all really, I definitely know it's not the peak I am just saying 07/08 was superior to anything we are seeing now for a myriad of reasons, including young talent like Ade.

SA brought up this current iteration being the best thing he's seen in 20 years (or something like that) and it's not even worth bringing up the Highbury years, so naturally the discussion starts from after 2006 where top 4 became the focus.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Those who know don’t speak, those who speak don’t know.

Wonderful contributions as per usual.

Happy Mikel Arteta GIF by DAZN

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
You've mentioned this a bunch of times but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How are you excited about Arteta and this team then?

That 07/08 was way better than anything else we've seen Arsenal put up in the Emirates era and played some exciting and successful football. We lost three league games all season, we reached that landmark literally three games in last season.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Even ignoring the overall team performance - if you can't be excited about Adebayor because Henry and Anelka were better I don't think you can look forward to Ødegaard and Saka with their trampoline first touch compared to Bergkamp and Pires.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
We would’ve won the league with a win at OT. One result away from greatness ffs.
That was during the peak years of Webb and them man too. Got shafted by Dirk Kuyt's troglodyte cousin ref in the CL and Mike Dean at St Andrews, unbeaten everywhere until December and now they're apparently nothing special

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom