• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I think generally players can go on performing into their early to maybe mid 30's without falling off too much these days with a lot of the medical, training, nutrition advances etc.

It did seem to feel like for the most part a player hitting 30 was a bit like a ticking clock on their careers back in Wengers glory days so I can't really blame him for the 1 year extensions. Seemed like a reasonable thing to do really.

Auba I think would struggle to fit in tactically rather than ability wise.
Özil is done. Couldn't even see peak Wenger getting anything out of him now tbh.
I think it depends on the player. Don't forget how demanding the prem can be physically especially at the top half of the pitch.
Laca did his best but didn't look up to it physically even though he was yet to hit 30.
Seems ok in France though.

Not sure about Auba he obviously suffered badly with the malaria & lost his edge. When not at 100% its understandable he didn't produce. He did ok in Spain but not sure he can ever get back near his pre contract level.

You then get players like Partey around 30 who had very few injuries in Spain but continually struggling with injuries here likely due to a combination of advancing years & the extra demands of the prem?

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Who did we let go that was proven wrong?
You could say that about the vast majority of sales Wenger made, not sure it means you wouldn’t have wanted them to continue at the club.

I agree with Wenger on older players, cash in, rejuvenate. The young team that came after could have done with one or two more older heads tho. Couldn’t pires have carried on a little longer?

GDeep™

League is very weak
You could say that about the vast majority of sales Wenger made, not sure it means you wouldn’t have wanted them to continue at the club.

I agree with Wenger on older players, cash in, rejuvenate. The young team that came after could have done with one or two more older heads tho. Couldn’t pires have carried on a little longer?
Different scenario, Wenger didn’t move him on. Pires said he demanded to leave Arsenal after the CL final where he was taken off. Said the following week was horrible and he surprised Wenger by asking to leave.

samspade

Different scenario, Wenger didn’t move him on. Pires said he demanded to leave Arsenal after the CL final where he was taken off. Said the following week was horrible and he surprised Wenger by asking to leave.
Are you sure? I always thought he wanted 2 years and wenger would only give him one

GDeep™

League is very weak
Are you sure? I always thought he wanted 2 years and wenger would only give him one

Two days later I told him I was leaving… basically, it triggered my exit.

"[Wenger] wasn't expecting it. I also needed to move on to something else.

TheGreatWright8

Player:Jesus
The entitlement of some players, i mean Bergkamp didn't play in the Cl final and you can argue he deserved it alot more then Pires since he had far more impact on the club then Pires did. Never heard Iceman ***** and complain about that.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
On the subject of Arsène only offering 12 month deals & 'casting away older players' i think in the main it worked well & even in later years he never got many wrong.
Özil possibly but there was status involved.
Theo never got his final big contract here, brought in a decent fee didn't do much after leaving so that looked a really good decision.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Özil was a desperate move, but the correct one. Wenger knew the kind of inspid football we would end up playing if we lost a player like him

He got proven right, years later Ozilball is still magnitudes better than anything we can muster.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I think I must be an outlier on the Adebayor stuff then. I just never really saw it with him, though he did score a decent amount of goals admittedly. Rated RVP and Eduardo over him, though both had significant injury issues around that time.

I think for me it was because I never viewed him as clinical, even when he was scoring a lot he'd miss quite a lot of really good chances. I found him quite a scruffy player too.

Lacked the grace of a Henry too, but I guess anyone was going to look like a downgrade after Thierry.

Adebayor was a perfect no. 9 for that time period on paper, tall, quick, strong, powerful but didn't have the sheer technical quality of an RvP (let's face it, who did?) or the reliable finishing of Eduardo, but for sure he was potentially elite. Imo it was his mentality that was lacking, not his skill, talent or athleticism.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The 07/08 team was performing at a ridiculously high level. Hleb was being compared to Ronaldo ffs.

When sometimes I looked back at match highlights of that team we dominated some legendary teams that season on pure performance. It was incredible.
Hleb on his day was a fantastic player!

samspade

Adebayor was a perfect no. 9 for that time period on paper, tall, quick, strong, powerful but didn't have the sheer technical quality of an RvP (let's face it, who did?) or the reliable finishing of Eduardo, but for sure he was potentially elite. Imo it was his mentality that was lacking, not his skill, talent or athleticism.
Ade was very technical though.

As you say RVP is one of the most technical strikers we’ve ever seen. Technical in the sense of his touch, dribbling skills, range and subtlety of passing, and tempo control most of all. Strikers almost never have any sense for that. Bloke could have played as a CM easy.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
People are definitely romanticising about adebayor here. Yeah he had his moments and he definitely had qualities. He also used to be offside about 90 times a game. Used to annoy the hell out of me…

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
You've mentioned this a bunch of times but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How are you excited about Arteta and this team then?

That 07/08 was way better than anything else we've seen Arsenal put up in the Emirates era and played some exciting and successful football. We lost three league games all season, we reached that landmark literally three games in last season.

Yet achieved absolutely zero tangible outcomes that season. I suppose you could make the argument that they achieved top four, which in today’s terms represent measurable achievement. But back then, top four was seen as next to nothing and as a result some opinion call that team a failure.

But fundamentally, and the key reason I’m quoting you is picking up on your comment that 07/08 was better than anything else the Emirates has produced for you. Your comment made despite the fact that three other Arsenal teams have delivered 3 trophies afterwards, tangible outcomes.

I think what you say here is important to note, because it suggests we don’t need to always have hard outcomes to mark success or progression. I’ll pick this point up with you again, if we are in an unfortunate position of not reaching our targets… but the quality of our team displays have remarkably improved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom