• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I agree with your sentiment generally but I don't think that anyone has been proven right or wrong or needs to admit being wrong or gloat over being proven right.

For example I have been fairly solidly pro Arteta but there were two times (I believe) that I called for him to be sacked, I still don't think I was wrong to do that, given the results and performance levels at the time.
I couldn't predict how things would change, I just based my thoughts on what I was seeing at the time. I'd likely do the same again if the same sort of situation arises.

It's like the fans who really didn't like Arteta and wanted him sacked who have now come round to rating him, it would be kind of silly for them to admit they were wrong or anything because they weren't really. They've just evolved their views on Arteta based on changing results and performances. That to me is logical.

Really the only two groups I can't really respect are the 100% Arteta lovers and the 100% Arteta haters. To me if you haven't been both pro and anti Arteta at some points you've not been evaluating results and Arteta anywhere close to objectively.

Yeah what you saying I agree with as well, but I see your proposal here as more of a rarity honestly. Its too sanitised and technically correct and thus I cant completely accept it as the reality.

People are tribal, they want to take a stand and be right about it, no matter what. The usual suspects on both sides (including myself mind you) will try and hold onto our positions for as long as possible, without looking ridiculous. Then its either a swaying opinion as you describe or disappearance completely until the coast is clear again.

There are so many examples over the last 18-24 months of disappearing acts, that its quite amusing really. That's how polarising this guy has been is my conclusion.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Do you think @drippin will celebrate or admit to Arsenal doing the right thing, if Arteta went on a fifteen run losing streak after the world cup and lost his job thereafter? I dont think so. Why? Because its personal.
Silly assumption. I have always said I'm not an Arteta fan, but an Arsenal fan. But people always see/assume what they want to see/assume.

Manager needs to get the boot if he performs like that. There are no excuses anymore like earlier, because Arteta and Edu have got Arsenal in so good position in relation to squad etc.

But like I have said, if we get a very nasty injury crisis during the rest of the season and finish only in top 6, I don't think he should be fired and I don't think Arsenal will fire him in that case. Because the trajectory is clear when all things are equal. It has been clear since Boxing Day 2020.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Yeah what you saying I agree with as well, but I see your proposal here as more of a rarity honestly. Its too sanitised and technically correct and thus I cant completely accept it as the reality.

People are tribal, they want to take a stand and be right about it, no matter what. The usual suspects on both sides (including myself mind you) will try and hold onto our positions for as long as possible, without looking ridiculous. Then its either a swaying opinion as you describe or disappearance completely until the coast is clear again.

There are so many examples over the last 18-24 months of this happening from what I've seen, that its quite amusing really.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I was one of the later ones to call for Arteta to be sacked so my biases / hopes definitely clouded how quickly I changed my opinion on him during his very bad spells.

I just think there have to be limits to these things though. I don't see many people on here still wanting Arteta to be sacked now we're top and playing decent stuff. It feels like 90% of the people on here have at least a moderately favourable view of Arteta currently, irrespective of where they stood 1-2 years ago on him.

I think we all need to try and get out of the mindset of being right or wrong over Arteta and accept it's been a pretty fluid situation and there's a decent chance his standing with the fanbase will change again in time and our opinions of him will too.

SA Gunner

Silly assumption. I have always said I'm not an Arteta fan, but an Arsenal fan. But people always see/assume what they want to see/assume.

Manager needs to get the boot if he performs like that. There are no excuses anymore like earlier, because Arteta and Edu have got Arsenal in so good position in relation to squad etc.

But like I have said, if we get a very nasty injury crisis during the rest of the season and finish only in top 6, I don't think he should be fired and I don't think Arsenal will fire him in that case. Because the trajectory is clear when all things are equal. It has been clear since Boxing Day 2020.

Ill be watching you then ;)

SA Gunner

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I was one of the later ones to call for Arteta to be sacked so my biases / hopes definitely clouded how quickly I changed my opinion on him during his very bad spells.

I just think there have to be limits to these things though. I don't see many people on here still wanting Arteta to be sacked now we're top and playing decent stuff. It feels like 90% of the people on here have at least a moderately favourable view of Arteta currently, irrespective of where they stood 1-2 years ago on him.

I think we all need to try and get out of the mindset of being right or wrong over Arteta and accept it's been a pretty fluid situation and there's a decent chance his standing with the fanbase will change again in time and our opinions of him will too.

I'd gladly be wrong on this one mate.

Nothing would please me more than a united support base, wanting what's best for Arsenal.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think we all need to try and get out of the mindset of being right or wrong over Arteta
This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. We've even ended up with another Arteta thread on 'who meant what when'.

It is of limited interest who was arguing what months ago. At the end of the day, we want the club to be brought back to the highs Wenger took us. I think we can allow ourselves some optimism that we're on the right track now.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. We've even ended up with another Arteta thread on 'who meant what when'.
You’re forgotten a fundamental principle of an Internet forum, it’s there to discuss stuff. :lol: We‘re all agreed we‘ve gone from a mid table side to one challenging for the title, and whether it’s an exchange of knowledge or ignorance, surely how we arrived here is a legitimate topic.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You’re forgotten a fundamental principle of an Internet forum, it’s there to discuss stuff. :lol: We‘re all agreed we‘ve gone from a mid table side to one challenging for the title, and whether it’s an exchange of knowledge or ignorance, surely how we arrived here is a legitimate topic.
Well yes, but surely this must have been debated to death by now. I mean we are not beating a dead horse, we're exhuming its charred bones from a funeral pyre!

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
It's been a long break and the momentum will be broken, plus Jesus injury. How Arteta copes will be interesting.

I think he’s the kind of manager that does well with a group of settled players when he has them on the training ground for an extended period of time. He’s got quite some way to go in terms of in game tactical manoeuvring but I’m optimistic we’ll see a big uptick in the form of the players that stayed back.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I think he’s the kind of manager that does well with a group of settled players when he has them on the training ground for an extended period of time. He’s got quite some way to go in terms of in game tactical manoeuvring but I’m optimistic we’ll see a big uptick in the form of the players that stayed back.
To be specific, what I’m hoping to see is:

All round improvement in Eddie
More decisiveness from Ødegaard
Tierney being able to invert with more control
Gabriel better under pressure
Vieira being better with dynamic link up play

Etc

SA Gunner

Yup, I agree with this thinking.

The fundamental system in place leans heavily towards a continuation of the top form we've been in. Arteta has built a super system and its going to continue to perform at a high level. Remember, these are the same players who were not given a chance for 4th spot this season.

The issues we can anticipate are injuries and us being studied and negated more by opposition teams. On the latter point, opposition teams would have six weeks or so to work on strategies to stop us from being effective. If they have done their homework well, then yes.. we will slow down.

Think we need another 10-12 more wins for top four though, hoping we can wrap that up quickly. Beyond that, a second placed finish would be superb.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom