• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
I d

I disagree strongly.

If this was their “strategy” it’s only worked because of 2 miracles:

Miracle 1) Arsène keeping us in Champs league for most of it

Miracle 2) Arteta falling in their lap and (eventually) managing to turn everything around

We were SO close to lingering in the banter zone for perpetuity it is terrifying. This would have hammered the value of the enormous 70% stake that as you yourself point out, the Kroenke’s worked so hard to achieve.

If this was a “business strategy” it was an absolutely terrible one. I think you’re guilty of looking at our current position and saying “well everything now makes sense in hindsight”. This is wrong. Because relying on miracles is never a good strategy, regardless of if you manage to get the miracle or not.

A “good business strategy” would be the one that Activist Investors deploy in “real” financial markets. It’s almost the polar opposite of what the Kroenkes did.

Result’s didn’t matter to them at the time. They wanted full control and Usmanov off the board. Obviously they want to keep some value in the club to build from so they don’t want it relegated but even if Arsenal was faltering in 10th during that time, that would place Usmanov closer to deciding to sell his shares and the Kroenke’s achieving their goal.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He's reset the club mentality completely.

DESE ARE DE FOGGING ESTANDARDS!
De estandards really are higher now. This is what gives me hope that our run will continue. This is why Pep is doing everything to light a fire under his club. Think he knows this train is full steam ahead!

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Just feel he needs to calm down a bit on he touchline. I know it’s how it’s always been but he needs to take it easy a bit. Can’t be good for his blood pressure

The media are already ramping up the campaign for him to be suspended.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I have time for Arteta going nuts on the touchline not even going to lie about it lol. I think Anfield last season was one of the few times you could argue it backfired.

Wouldn't be a problem if Arsenal were sh*t, he'd be getting praise for his passion actually. Now that Arsenal are a threat however, they are begging him to stop.

I noticed serial winners in the game don't have a problem with it (Roy Keane etc) it's more the prissy pundits and journos who have never kicked ball.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I have time for Arteta going nuts on the touchline not even going to lie about it lol. I think Anfield last season was one of the few times you could argue it backfired.

Wouldn't be a problem if Arsenal were sh*t, he'd be getting praise for his passion actually. Now that Arsenal are a threat however, they are begging him to stop.

I noticed serial winners in the game don't have a problem with it (Roy Keane etc) it's more the prissy pundits and journos who have never kicked ball.
I don’t think he can help himself anyway. It’s how he’s made. His shouting at the players is certainly less of a problem now that the crowd noise drowns him out. I genuinely felt in the quiet Covid days it was distracting for players in the empty stadiums. And also the players are probably more used to it now.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don’t think he can help himself anyway. It’s how he’s made. His shouting at the players is certainly less of a problem now that the crowd noise drowns him out. I genuinely felt in the quiet Covid days it was distracting for players in the empty stadiums. And also the players are probably more used to it now.

I remember a lot of these pundits and journos criticising Wenger for sitting down, calling it passive etc.

They need to take their medicine in the form of Arteta and stfu really.

Bergkamp120

Xhaka at the award ceremony to receive his Swiss player of the year award:

“I’ve had many coaches in my career, but never one like Arteta. He seems like he is focused only on football 24 hours a day.

“He always has a plan A, B – and maybe even a plan Z. But he’s not only top tactically, but he’s also top as a person.”

Also..

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
If you're winning matches whatever way the manager is behaving is the 'correct' one.

Arteta's antics are clearly not a negative on the side so it's all fine as far as I'm concerned. The media are just trying to make it a big deal.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Xhaka at the award ceremony to receive his Swiss player of the year award:

“I’ve had many coaches in my career, but never one like Arteta. He seems like he is focused only on football 24 hours a day.

“He always has a plan A, B – and maybe even a plan Z. But he’s not only top tactically, but he’s also top as a person.”

Also..

Xhaka and Arteta are pretty much the same personalities :lol:

Proper bromance going on there. I'm sure @BergMan is loving it!

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I actually somewhat agree with @BergMan -- having competing shareholders was a nightmare at a board level, we were a mess for many many years because of the lack of foresight. Also it's not far fetched that Kroenke's were unwilling to open the strings when they didn't have full ownership. Majority ownership is one thing but they always intended to buy out that stake and it would've continued to inflate had the Kroenke's invested more.

If Kroenke's injected us with cash at that time, I'd assume they'd also demand Usmanov to contribute which knowing the tug of war, it wouldn't happen. The best thing that happened to this club was that board mess finally got cleaned up and now we have sole ownership. Whether it being in the hands of the Kroenke's being a good thing or not is a separate debate.

That being said, they were absolutely the worst ownership group we could've had during those years but I think it's more due to the hostile nature instead of them being frugal and trying to turn profits. I agree with @El Duderino in that the fan turmoil ignited the situation and probably forced their hand into getting more involved.

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

Redcafe has been crying about his "antics" all week, I don't get it. I don't have any issue with Klopp and Pep doing the same but funny enough they seem to get a pass. The only time I have an issue is when Klopp is right in the 4th officials face and looks like he's on the brink of committing literal assault but Arteta has never come close to something like that.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

@El Duderino masterclass.

The retconning on Kroenke is d-d-d-d-

giphy.gif

disgusting. He got lucky with Wenger and eventually Arteta.

Not saying he's necessarily the worst worst owner, but for years he definitely didn't appear to have a strong interest in Arsenal. I think the situation with us dropping out of the top 4 and Sanllehi especially has sort of forced the Kroenke contingent to pay more attention and even then I think they got quite fortunate that Arteta turned out the be as great as he's been (I suppose Edu too).

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

@El Duderino masterclass.

The retconning on Kroenke is d-d-d-d-

giphy.gif

disgusting. He got lucky with Wenger and eventually Arteta.

Not saying he's necessarily the worst worst owner, but for years he definitely didn't appear to have a strong interest in Arsenal. I think the situation with us dropping out of the top 4 and Sanllehi especially has sort of forced the Kroenke contingent to pay more attention and even then I think they got quite fortunate that Arteta turned out the be as great as he's been (I suppose Edu too).

Add to the fact I've seen zero evidence that Stan is actually ploughing his own money into the club. I'm not counting any funky loan stuff he might be doing either because the club will have to pay that back at some point. He's not going to be out of pocket at the end of the day, I guarantee that. We've already pretty much burned through our cash reserve too ( Not that I'm against that in principle as it's largely been well spent)

Kroenke was probably the biggest root cause of the malaise that set in at Arsenal for the best part of a decade. Arsenal doing well on the pitch at the moment isn't going to blind me to everything that has occured before with his ownership.

Top Bottom