• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Because you don't change a very good thing for the hope of better things. Imagine where we would be if those who wanted Arteta out got their wish when he finished 5th last season? The project would have been ruined.

How's Edu now being defined as a 'very good thing'?

9/10 anyone in Arteta's situation after the first 1.5 years fails. You play the percentages not bank on a freakish turnaround. We lucked into it with Arteta.

say yes

forum master baiter
How's Edu now being defined as a 'very good thing'?

9/10 anyone in Arteta's situation after the first 1.5 years fails. You play the percentages not bank on a freakish turnaround. We lucked into it with Arteta.
Bringing this thread back on topic (seriously, Edu has his own thread), we did indeed.

Was discussing it with @Makingtrax over PM and we agreed that Arteta winning the title this season would probably be the greatest title win in Arsenal’s history. Still a long way to go, but the fact that conversation is even possible is mad when you consider the state in which he took over the club.

Don’t think any other manager could have survived such a divisive fanbase and budget top office. Now he’s on track for 100 points despite having a Europa league level spend.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Bringing this thread back on topic (seriously, Edu has his own thread), we did indeed.
It's no luck. Arteta always had great managerial potential, he loves Arsenal and Wenger created this monster.

Episode 2 Jedi GIF by Star Wars

say yes

forum master baiter
It's no luck. Arteta always had great managerial potential, he loves Arsenal and Wenger created this monster.

Episode 2 Jedi GIF by Star Wars
I’m probably the biggest Wenger fan on here, but that’s too far even for me.

Playing for a legend like Arsène will certainly have helped Mikel, but he’s from the Pep school of coaching. Both tactically and in terms of squad management.

Hope he inherited Wenger’s sense of loyalty though. Need this guy to stick with us for his career.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It’s actually crazy what Arteta and Arsenal are doing when you think of it. The most expensive player in our team cost 50m, the front 3 cost 6m, we have a load of academy players playing. Edu deserves his share of credit for that as well.

But I think it’s naive to suggest we can continue with this model indefinitely and challenge for titles every year. There will come a time where we need to push a massive transfer over the line to maintain our level (suspect Rice in the summer will be the one), and the club/Edu have yet to show they are capable of that.

say yes

forum master baiter
It’s actually crazy what Arteta and Arsenal are doing when you think of it. The most expensive player in our team cost 50m, the front 3 cost 6m, we have a load of academy players playing. Edu deserves his share of credit for that as well.

But I think it’s naive to suggest we can continue with this model indefinitely and challenge for titles every year. There will come a time where we need to push a massive transfer over the line to maintain our level (suspect Rice in the summer will be the one), and the club/Edu have yet to show they are capable of that.
We won’t be able to continue it indefinitely, which is why it’s all the more important people enjoy it now.

Players lose motivation when they win, and the only way to sustain these levels is to have City/Chelsea levels of investment each year.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
It’s the IF right. IF he fails to do the next phase of his job, then he should leave. He has done a great job so far. But if he hits his ceiling then Arsenal Football Club should not be limited by the same ceiling.

I’m not saying fire him now that’s crazy talk. I will be absolutely delighted if he proves that he can rise to the occasion. But I’m not going to be sentimental if he doesn’t.

And to bring this back to Mikel to keep @say yes happy - I genuinely think the “ceiling” of this project under Mik is Champions League. Winning, not participating. His record in ‘big games’ so far this season has been exemplary, and the performances in them are actually getting better. Yeah we all laughed when we heard the Willian quotes about winning champs league and tbf they were pretty funny, but things are different now.

But the clock is ticking. I’d say we have 5 years at best. 5 years in which we need to give ourselves the best opportunity possible to win the champions league. That’s 4 summer windows. There is no time or room for sentimentality. If we’re ruthless we can have a genuine shot at this.

Please assna. Don’t let me down.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Absolutely no one has suggested that we can, should or will continue with this model. The management has aims. Last season it was top 6, this season it was top 4 and next season it's pushing for trophies. They will go big next summer.

Jesus was a massive massive transfer with big competition, even if he cost only 45 million. But that doesn't count for these people here, because Arteta had some part in the attraction.

If Jesus went to some other top club (which I still feared until the official announcement came, because Arsenal had only UEL), it would have been blamed on Edu 100%. Now that he got the deal done, he gets 0% credit. It's totally ridiculous.

MATHEO

I’m probably the biggest Wenger fan on here, but that’s too far even for me.

Playing for a legend like Arsène will certainly have helped Mikel, but he’s from the Pep school of coaching. Both tactically and in terms of squad management.

Hope he inherited Wenger’s sense of loyalty though. Need this guy to stick with us for his career.

I'm maybe biased, but Arteta has evolved throughout the years. The first couple of years we were drilled positionally like a Pep-team, but this season we added to that elements of fluidity, quick pass and move, and total football associated with Arsène, I feel that he found a sweet marriage between the two styles.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
We won’t be able to continue it indefinitely, which is why it’s all the more important people enjoy it now.

Players lose motivation when they win, and the only way to sustain these levels is to have City/Chelsea levels of investment each year.

The number one reason we will beat mfc this year is not because we are the more talented team but they are tired and complacent

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I have decided that I no longer want Arteta and Edu to resign over signing Jorginho, nor will I be making the "Goodbye From Riou 2: "This time...it really might be it for me!" thread over it.

I am back being a Mikel fanboy, let's with this fooking title!!!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Was discussing it with @Makingtrax over PM and we agreed that Arteta winning the title this season would probably be the greatest title win in Arsenal’s history. Still a long way to go, but the fact that conversation is even possible is mad when you consider the state in which he took over the club.
Always enjoy our PMs bro!

Riou

I think in context, it would be our best title win if we win it this season...maybe tied with the 1989 one.

Compare it to our last title win in 2004, night and day in terms of expectations really...as a 11/12 year old back then, I really believed that we could go unbeaten after Arsène said it it...we had a squad of elite quality (some the best in their position, if not the world then definitely the league) who were all pretty much proven winners...with a manager you knew had what it takes to get the job done too, as he was already a 2 time English champion.

Now, it's all kinda new for the players and coaching team.

Can compare it to our title win in 89 pretty well...a significant time without a league title and how we took on the dominant team (Liverpool then and City now) with a fresh and young team...and hopefully like back then, we can beat them.

That 1989 group like Adams and Rocastle will be talked about forever, that's were this group can put themselves.

Riou

Graham in 1989
Wenger in 2004
Arteta in 2023 (please for the love of God!)

All Arsenal managers celebrating the three best title wins in English football like...

the-rock-stone-cold-steve-austin.gif

Riou

Arteta's work here has been incredible when you think about, mad even.

In the 2020/2021 season, no chance would you think Mikel would have us in this position just two seasons later.

He now has a 4 year period (including this season) to win as many trophies as possible, as if he doesn't then the squad will break up after that.

Will we be a Liverpool 2018-2022, or a Tottenham 2016-2020...I feel we will be the former personally.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I disagree to be honest. I think we have the basis now of an absolute top team, with the majority of players under 25. Which is where Edu and Arteta deserve massive credit.

We won’t need many more summers where we sign 5 (like in 2021), one top player a season should be the aim, especially with hale end churning out elite talents as well.

Appreciate it’s easier said than done, but that’s the next step for me.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
He now has a 4 year period (including this season) to win as many trophies as possible, as if he doesn't then the squad will break up after that.

Exactly my thoughts, except I said 5 (4 summer transfer windows). And I don’t care about “many trophies”. I mean I do, but really there’s just one I want. My precious… champions league.

It’s also why we can’t afford to hang out with our wang out in the summer windows - we only have 3/4 of them in this cycle. Can’t be saying “maybe next time”… it’s been great up to now but we need to change gears. Less quantity more quality.

Riou

but really there’s just one I want. My precious… champions league.

I would legitimately cry if we finally got our hands on that, don't know how we don't have one in the cabinet already.

Please Arteta, win it here :pray:

Top Bottom