• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
I think the players did show resilience i think i have made it clear which boffhead i believe did not show said quality. The players had numerous come from behind moments. During a crucial stretch the Holding selection unsettled the entire backline. The title died right there other than that the lads showed a lot of fight

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

I don't get this. There's an element of the fanbase that has a fixation on youth for the sake of youth.

We'd have had the youngest side ever to win a PL title if we won it this season. Is that not good enough? It's not like young players ( albeit non academy talents) who are up to the required standard aren't getting to play week in week out. If anything we could have done with a bit more experience and nous in that title race.

To blood Nwaneri or Cozier-Dewbury or whoever in a title race would have been idiotic.

Saka's an anomaly anyway. Under Emery, Arteta or Dyche he'd have got that opportunity because he is just that talented.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Old men talking about resilience of the youth, a tale as old as time.

Didn't this team get more points than any of Grahams' teams?
It's pretty clear looking at points tally's that the top 4 teams today are getting many more points than they every used to when the league was more even. Hell, go back far enough and Brian Clough brought a team up from the second division that won the first division the following year beating Liverpool to the title. Imagine that today. The Premiere league now has a small super league within, that have massive revenues compared to the rest. They are pulling away and their goal tallies and points totals are breaking records.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Our best ever captain and defender, but Big Tone as always kinda been negative when talking about Arsenal... definitely loves us, but wouldn't be surprised if this pessimistic approach is just his "character" (like Roy Keane at United) to keep eyes on him.

On the resilience part, I think that's more on how this generation is "less-manly" that his generation...we are a resilient team otherwise we wouldn't have fought against City for as long as we did, the numerous late goals we scored also show it.

I remember an interview from The Undertaker legitimately saying how..."wrestlers are basically kids today man, back in my day wrestlers had knives and cocaine in their bags and today they have video game systems" ...cause having a weapon and a huge pile of coke is better way to live most definitely 😅

It's a generational thing, every generation feels the next is softer...when in reality there are positives and negatives in all.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka

With his hoarding nature it's good that he prefers to loan the talents out for experience instead of mismanaging them here.

Is nobody close to making it though? Last game had Bandeira and Walters on the bench but even then that was probably due to injuries

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Why did you post this? :lol:

Ljunberg had a lot to do with the fast tracking of Hale End anyways. He started as U15 and U23 coach I believe?? Eventually promoted to Emery's assistant in order to aid the transition into the first team. Whilst Emery does deserve some credit, so does Freddie.

I'd argue Arteta doesn't necessarily have that link himself, but he along with Edu did go to watch one U23 match to watch Vieira specifically. Maybe he has done this more than once.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
History disagrees with you on this. Seeing that we were in 3rd place for over 13 consecutive weeks suggest that we were not the ones who were going toe to toe with Leicester that season. Perhaps you should refresh your memory on the subject.
Well, we were 1st for 4 weeks and 2nd for around 10. that makes it 14 weeks as either 1st or 2nd.

I can spin off stats too, but it is immaterial because we WERE supposed to challenge for the title and we should have been able to overcome Leicester.

As against 2023 $ity, which is perhaps one of the best teams in the world.

That doesn't make sense. Brentford did the double over City this season, so..
Brentford weren't predicted to come 2nd, though. Kinda dumb comparison.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Well, we were 1st for 4 weeks and 2nd for around 10. that makes it 14 weeks as either 1st or 2nd.

I can spin off stats too, but it is immaterial because we WERE supposed to challenge for the title and we should have been able to overcome Leicester.

We were never in the title race in 2016. We had far too many injuries. Even players who hadn’t normally had previous problems like Cazorla, Coq, Özil and Sanchez. In fact the injury to Santi ultimately finished his career. And that’s not to mention the usual crowd Walcott, Ramsey, Ox, Welbeck, etc. The worst injury year in Prem ever recorded. Makes me laugh that people say that Arsenal were the only team that year not to have problems. Just made up stuff to attack Wenger.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don't recall being in the race seriously in 2016. It was definitely a missed opportunity seeing what we did in the market the summer before it begun and seeing how the normal contenders were doing.

Pretending we were in the title race for any lengthy period is gross revisionism though, it was nothing like this season we were essentially a handful of games off from winning it.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Ljunberg had a lot to do with the fast tracking of Hale End anyways. He started as U15 and U23 coach I believe?? Eventually promoted to Emery's assistant in order to aid the transition into the first team. Whilst Emery does deserve some credit, so does Freddie.

I'd argue Arteta doesn't necessarily have that link himself, but he along with Edu did go to watch one U23 match to watch Vieira specifically. Maybe he has done this more than once.

Because it’s an interesting talking point and definitely has support here ;)

Think this will be thrown at Arteta until proven otherwise though. The standards will always be kept high for Arteta I feel, because he is the chosen one so to speak.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Old men talking about resilience of the youth, a tale as old as time.

Didn't this team get more points than any of Grahams' teams?
So did Sp**s a few years ago? Who cares? You only talk about point tallies when you win **** all.

Anyway, where can I go and see the “more points than any of Grahams’ team” trophy?

Kav

Established Member

I hear you but the context is what counts. Being 1st for a few weeks at the beginning of a season does not mount a title challenge and you know this. It’s the business end that counts.

Bucephalus

I'd add that as the team gets better, the Hale End lads necessarily need to be better in order to break through. Saka only needed to be better than (first) Kolasinac and (second) Pepe. ESR only needed to be better than the corpse of Willian. The next youngster to come through is going to have to meet a higher hurdle.

Henry boi

I'd add that as the team gets better, the Hale End lads necessarily need to be better in order to break through. Saka only needed to be better than (first) Kolasinac and (second) Pepe. ESR only needed to be better than the corpse of Willian. The next youngster to come through is going to have to meet a higher hurdle.
This is common sense, but clearly some are lacking in that department

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
This is common sense, but clearly some are lacking in that department

Nobody is expecting a Hale Ender to come in and displace Ødegaard, Partey, White, etc.

Is it common sense not to expect an academy player getting some chances/minutes? If nothing as an example to other talented players that there's a pathway to the first team here?

Bucephalus

Nobody is expecting a Hale Ender to come in and displace Ødegaard, Partey, White, etc.

Is it common sense not to expect an academy player getting some chances/minutes? If nothing as an example to other talented players that there's a pathway to the first team here?
Don't get me wrong. I want to see more Hale End involvement. But this is probably a weird year to judge it.

Outside of injuries and bringing on an extra defender to hold on at the death, the back line and DM don't get substituted much. And when they do, there's an understandable bias to throwing on an old hand rather than an untested youngster. The positions that do get substituted are AM/winger/striker. And the two Crown Jewels of the system in those positions were out on loan this season. One learning how to stand up to physical football in the Championship, one learning how to score a raft of goals in France.

(Sadly, we'll probably lose both, but it doesn't mean those loans were wrong).

Arteta undoubtedly needs to learn to rotate better. And to integrate the youth. But his getting Trossard, Nketiah, and, to a lesser extent ESR (when healthy) and Nelson minutes seems pretty normal. Little bit of rotation with Jorginho, too. With the way the season went, and with Patino and Balogun (or for that matter, Norton-Cuffy) out on loan, there wasn't a great deal of room for academy cameos.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

The Sexuals right now...

698b0c44-eccf-469e-9eed-48c3963a69d6_text.gif

1d2886af-3218-4c3c-aee2-192bf1d5f3ec_text.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom