• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Pyres7

Yeah tuchel must have missed coming up with those effortless game plans last season when we beat them twice šŸ¤£
We beat him once, in a game where they tore us apart and should have scored 3 or 4 goals. Luckily Havertz, Werner and co missed sitters and Jorginho gifted us a goal.

The other win was well deserved but it was with Lampard as manager.

Well done on proving Toby's point about the difference a top manager can make with the same set of players...

WhatAFC

We beat him once, in a game where they tore us apart and should have scored 3 or 4 goals. Luckily Havertz, Werner and co missed sitters and Jorginho gifted us a goal.

The other win was well deserved but it was with Lampard as manager.

Well done on proving Toby's point about the difference a top manager can make with the same set of players...
So we did or didnā€™t win both games? Because surely a top manager like tuchel should have walked the game against crappy Arteta?

Iā€™m not even a fan of Arteta, but the hyperbole in our fan base is just embarrassing.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger šŸ™
Trusted ā­

Player:Saliba
Jesus, even with all those social media rants, memes, mockery, planes overhead, stadium protests and boycotts

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger šŸ™
Trusted ā­

Good game is maybe the wrong word, I did like what I saw from him in terms of attributes and style but in context of the run of the game his game was as bad as everyone else's.

But yeah, that's not on him; I really can't blame too many players anymore. When you get the impression Arsenal are so bad by default Tuchel comes up with his game plan while taking a dump before the bus ride to the Emirates and his team effortlessly translate that to the pitch in what wasn't a dominant performance because Chelsea were so dominant in their display but because they're just lightyears ahead of Arsenal and much worse Arsenal let themselves be dominated here due to being criminally unorganized - it's bad and it's on the manager. When I look at player like especially Pepe and Auba, but others as well, I cannot follow the thought process of some on here that it's the players being too bad and letting the manager down, imo it's clearly the other way round. Arteta gets the worst out of his players somehow and they're just lost out there.
Yet if we speak . . .

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
The baying internet mob will never care for contex :confused:

I doubt it was possible to select a worse 3 games for Arsenal to start the season with a depleted squad. Actually 4 if you factor in a tricky away game against a physical West Brom side for a young team struggling for confidence.

If the fixture list or injury/illness situation had been kinder we would be in a far better place no doubt.

That is not making excuses btw.
It is just simply a fact.
It wouldn't be excuses if Arteta has only been in charge for just these 3 games. He has been here nearly 2 years. Even when we had all those players available It was only marginally better. We even managed to get thrashed 3-0 at home against Villa when we had Partey, Gabriel, Auba and Laca all start the match. Getting soundly beaten by a newly promoted team when only missing a few players points to a far deeper problems.

Also how do other teams manage to beat us when they have quite a few players missing. We have come up against teams with an injury crisis and got turned over.

Even Villarreal had 3 starters missing before the 2nd leg and then withing the first 30 minutes lost another key player to injury. Yet they managed to get the job done. While we started to moan losing only Xhaka.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ā­

Spot on.

Had a chance to go to the game yesterday but opted not to as watching our football isnā€™t even fun anymore. I can barely watch the full 90 minutes every week.

I used to travel, literally take flights and book London hotels, and pay for scalped tickets 4 times a year just to watch Arsenal games. Have not done it since 2016.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
That's true, but it's not just about the result. In fact, I'd say it's not about the result at all - it's about the performance. There are many ways in which we could lose to Chelsea that I wouldn't have a problem with, but we allowed them to just breeze through the game. They'll come up against sides with much less talent than Arsenal, that will make it much more difficult for them to get three points.

Look at Tottenham vs City. Tottenham could've easily lost that game, because City missed some good chances and generally dominated the play. But even if they had lost, they could've walked away with their heads held high because they gave City a real game.
I do understand where you are coming from & the point.
However the fact is we were fielding a very young side who simply had the stuffing knocked out of them by the early goal.
That made an absolutely massive difference.
If you watched the Sp**s game they got battered by Man C for the 1st 15 mins but most importantly didnt concede. They also had a far more experienced side.
City on the whole had a bit of an off day in the final 3rd. Perhaps that is why they are looking to bring in a World level striker with Kane as Chelsea have with Lukaku.
Sp**s contained them well but by not conceding and & getting a goal on the transition/counter (nuno's chosen style of play) it gave them big confidence.

Keeping clean sheets & scoring goals helps channel confidence.
Im sure results, better performances & the confidence will come when all our players are back. Unfortunately we will now likely have to wait a while until after the international break :(

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ā­

Player:Rice
I think we're at a stage now where you've got to start looking at Arteta and seeing where we're at now in terms of maximising the squads abilities. It's not far off 2 years he's been here now.

I think most people would accept that this isn't a vintage Arsenal squad in terms of talent but equally I don't think anyone could say he's getting close to maximising the potential out of it.

There's a lot of underperforming players currently, beyond what would be natural in terms of form etc. It's pretty worrying to be honest.

You do start looking at the bright spot players like Saka, ESR, Tierney etc who are generally performing to a good standard and start thinking are they producing in spite of Arteta, rather than because of him?

Exactly. Makes me think what Arteta said about alot of people in football not wanting him to succeed is really true.

He will however be soon appreciated, whether he'll still be here remains to be seen. If he goes, and we get someone else, think it'll be reminiscent of the good Graham did for Wenger's ultimate success.
So many idiots in this fan base and on this forum who lack patience and canā€™t recognize what we are as a club.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ā­
Exactly. Makes me think what Arteta said about alot of people in football not wanting him to succeed is really true.

He will however be soon appreciated, whether he'll still be here remains to be seen. If he goes, and we get someone else, think it'll be reminiscent of the good Graham did for Wenger's ultimate success.

Is it an evergreen summer like Westeros in your alternate reality? Cause let me tell, ya, winter is coming.

grange

Losing my brain cells šŸ„ø

Player:Havertz
And he also claimed that our result improved dramatically with ESR coming into the team last year and now changing his tune again.

Dude keep outdoing himself.

Guaranteed he hasn't watched a single game so far this season either. There is no way you can defend any of this and I was even trying to be patient with Arteta. It's indefensible at this point.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
It wouldn't be excuses if Arteta has only been in charge for just these 3 games. He has been here nearly 2 years. Even when we had all those players available It was only marginally better. We even managed to get thrashed 3-0 at home against Villa when we had Partey, Gabriel, Auba and Laca all start the match. Getting soundly beaten by a newly promoted team when only missing a few players points to a far deeper problems.

Also how do other teams manage to beat us when they have quite a few players missing. We have come up against teams with an injury crisis and got turned over.

Even Villarreal had 3 starters missing before the 2nd leg and then withing the first 30 minutes lost another key player to injury. Yet they managed to get the job done. While we started to moan losing only Xhaka.
Tbf you do make some fair points. Getting beaten 3-0 by Villa last season at home was more embarrassing. It was just a crap performance it happens Villa are a very good side on their day, they stuffed Liverpool as well last year. We still finished above them at the end of the season.
I understand all teams/players get injuries etc throughout the season but having so many unavailable before the season even starts is imho unprecedented. I have never known it happen before tbh.
It was always gonna be a massive challenge unless you maybe have a Man C or Chelsea squad level & the depth we have is far from those clubs.
We may have just about muddled/squeaked through with a kinder set of opening fixtures but the computer said no.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
There's a lot of underperforming players currently, beyond what would be natural in terms of form etc. It's pretty worrying to be honest.

You do start looking at the bright spot players like Saka, ESR, Tierney etc who are generally performing to a good standard and start thinking are they producing in spite of Arteta, rather than because of him?
I dont think players are performing in spite or because of Arteta tbh.
He & they have largely done fine since boxing day & now with loads of players missing we lose 2 tough opening games
You mention the bright spot players but they are all very young and still need others to help with carrying the can.
Also we may overate/expect too much from them at times
ESR is a good young prospect but he is not prime Bergkamp or Ɩzil.
Saka & Tierney are the 2 go to guys for us but would be more likely only squad players at the top 4 clubs. Jesus Man U had Sancho & Varanne of the bench at the weekend & dont even get me started on the quality of Chelsea or Man C.

Another manager will not make us top 4.

I still think the squad is more than capable of challenging Leicester & Sp**s etc for top 6 when we get players back. Its a long season.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ā­

Jesus, even with all those social media rants, memes, mockery, planes overhead, stadium protests and boycotts

Jesus christ!

This is bad. There's no indication that it's going to get better. Unfortunately, guys like Edu and Vinny are probably just as complicit. They'll do everything to protect each other because they know that if Mikel goes down, they'll follow suit.

Why can't KSE just pull the plug? Give it Per till the we can convince the likes Conte to come. Surely, it can't be worse than this?

WhatAFC

Jesus christ!

This is bad. There's no indication that it's going to get better. Unfortunately, guys like Edu and Vinny are probably just as complicit. They'll do everything to protect each other because they know that if Mikel goes down, they'll follow suit.

Why can't KSE just pull the plug? Give it Per till the we can convince the likes Conte to come. Surely, it can't be worse than this?
Give it to Per, Christ.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Any manager who says xhaka is an integral part of the team and gives him an increased salary with a contract extension, should be instantly fired for incompetence.

Why

Always Me ?
I just don't get how it's so hard to change from telling your players to just always pass it to Tierney when you get in the opposition half. To... Pass to the runners.

Amount of times last few games Pepe and Martinelli made runs through and people looked up, saw them and then shrugged and passed to Tierney.

It ain't rocket science. We have a bunch of very quick players who can run through the defence.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom