• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I struggle not to. We simply are not scoring and look so blunt in attack. We have scored two goals in five matches! Yes, we have won the last two matches, but still that is absolute poverty. Whatever you want to say about Arteta, but we aren't exactly lighting up the league with our attacking football.
Yeah, I just meant in this game. No doubt the quality of football needs to be upped from the second half of last season (which was a level up from the first half of last season, which isn't even worth discussing it was so poor).
Let's not pretend like this is a new issue. Ever since Arteta has been here we have struggled to score goals and create chances. Now that can be down to two things, the tactics or the players (in reality it's both).
No doubt. But this was quite different. Our issue with Arteta has typically been getting into the final third with spaces and interesting situations to create opportunities in. Those situations abounded yesterday. That's why I say, sure, if we see that this now becomes the problem--having interesting situations and spaces but being quite wasteful or poor with the final ball--then I will be the first to say that it is something to do with the manager, because my philosophy is that the manager is the author of a team and has huge effect on its production. But as I said, this hasn't really been the case with Arteta--if anything our players have tended to be rather clinical with the limited amount of opportunities they create and limited amount of spaces they tend to find / create (hence why we have performed to our slightly above our xG).

Rather than adress the most obvious issue in the team, he's spent over 100million on defenders and keepers. No excuses for this bloke anymore.

Well, White is a defender but you can argue he does as much to address the systemic issues in the team in terms of construction, being effective in retaining possession and being able to mount attacks and progress the ball into the final third in an effective. Lokonga, Tomiyasu, and Ramsdale certainly have trickle down effects on this too (Lokonga obviously in greater degree). Ødegaard was signed for this, of course, as well. I get this argument from last season (it was mine; absolutely furious we didn't sign a 10 when we had such chance creation issues), but don't really understand it re: our recruitment this summer. Think White's signing in regards to the effect it has on our play is especially underrated / underappreciated. Playing the type of lineup we played yesterday wasn't viable without a player of White's calm and composure on the ball who can supplement Thomas' passing duties in the build-up and playing out from the back including under some level of pressure (something we just couldn't do with a Holding / Gabriel or Holding / Marí back-line; Tomiyasu of course helps there too, though the difference between White and Holding or any other CB we played last season is massive compared to what I've seen the difference between Tomi and Bellerín is in this phase).

Again, we were finding ourselves in very different spaces, breaking into the final third and through lines with our passing yesterday, than we usually see under Arteta, and while part of that is down to the poorish opposition (reminded me a bit of away Wolves game last season tbf, in this respect, though I think Burnley is typically a much more solid and difficult to break down side than Wolves looked last season when we played them), certainly it also has to do with being able to play out from the back comfortably and link defense-midfield-attack in much more interesting ways thanks to White, and the fact his qualities allow for it to be viable a lineup that before really wasn't functional (here I'm talking about the trickle down effect; against Villarreal with this lineup we just couldn't get the ball from Thomas to Ødegaard, we could barely get it to Thomas, through the middle--U-Shape and all that we've talked about--White changes this, and Ødegaard especially was getting on the ball often in the middle of the pitch where he can make the difference and bring the coherence, sense, and quality to our build-up in ways that really no one else does for us).

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Exactly, that’s why we were 3 places below our investment position last year. Poor deals, rubbish manager.

Not expecting Leicester to do very well, they’ve been over performing lately, investing 8th, finished 5th last year. That’s 3 places over. Not expecting them to repeat that this year. Rogers isn’t as good as managers that can keep over performing like Klopp, Pochettino and course our incredible manager who managed it for an unbelievable 20 years straight. ;)
Exactly Arteta underperformed last year but not as much as some believe. Sp**s & Leicester both had better squads due to our poor investment in players over many years.
Its a combination of good squad investment & the manager/players performing that is required.
As said we have invested poorly over many many years. We should be competing for 5th or 6th again now after our major squad shake up in the last 12 months starts to settle if we can can keep players fit.
After the defence & midfield takes shape we really need to look at the attack. Some of that will be down to coaching others will be players performance.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Exactly Arteta underperformed last year but not as much as some believe. Sp**s & Leicester both had better squads due to our poor investment in players over many years.
Its a combination of good squad investment & the manager/players performing that is required.
As said we have invested poorly over many many years. We should be competing for 5th or 6th again now after our major squad shake up in the last 12 months starts to settle if we can can keep players fit.
After the defence & midfield takes shape we really need to look at the attack. Some of that will be down to coaching others will be players performance.
Our attack is fine, the tactics are *****.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

We’re 5 games into the season and have played a newly promoted team and two teams sitting at the bottom of the table with a combined 9 defeats and 1 draw, yet we’re 16th in the table for big chances created having only created 3. That is a shocking return no matter who you’ve got up front. That sort of return isn’t going to see you win a lot of games in the long run.

His turgid style of football ia unsustainable in the long run & will inevitably lead to us being mired in the lower half of the table for a good part of the season.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Our attack is fine, the tactics are *****.

No it's not; our attack is sh!te.

We've only got one of the most talented and exciting English intl forwards/wingers, the former golden boot winner that we handed 300/350k a week to and Pepe that did get over 1 in 3 in the league last season despite starting something like 16 games I heard.

No, our attack is f*cking terrible.

Poor Arteta, give him 300 Mil next summer to spend on NEW and much BETTER attackers and we'll make top 6 I promise.

Edit: I super promise.

Last edited:

mpower2540

It’s not Emery esque, it’s even worse. This is Arteta’s “identity” with football. We no longer need to compare it to anything else, he’s been here for ages and from the very beginning he’s shut up shop every time after we go 1-0 up, regardless if we’re playing a Liverpool or a league 1 side in a cup game.

He’s had a list of excuses for this for years but deep down you can see in all his interviews after our scrappy wins (basically all of our wins) how happy he is with the rigidness. This is exactly how he intends to play. Nothing is going to change.

He straight up bold face lied to all of the fans and I’m assuming the owners and the board when he was appointed because he was selling dreams of a footballing style we will NEVER see under him. He should have been sacked for this alone. The club has no respect for the fans.
I listen to the AV podcast a lot and I actually like it most of the time, but it does make me laugh how they keep bringing up how bad Sp**s are. That they were so lucky to win their first 3 games because they barely created a thing and then rode their luck. Newsflash guys that’s exactly what we do!!!

I think if Sp**s start the way the did against Chelsea against us at the Emirates then they’ll probably force us into mistakes and punish us. I know it’s blasphemous to say but Tottenham should really fancy beating us next weekend. I’m dreading it personally and I don’t even think they’re any good.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I listen to the AV podcast a lot and I actually like it most of the time, but it does make me laugh how they keep bringing up how bad Sp**s are. That they were so lucky to win their first 3 games because they barely created a thing and then rode their luck. Newsflash guys that’s exactly what we do!!!

I've had to stop listening to it, like @Rimaal I've come to absolutely detest listening to Clive. He thinks he's smarter than everyone when it comes to football. Totally insufferable.

I like Andrew/Arseblog from the Arsecast (can't really stand James anymore, chats too much sh!t) and the Tuesday Club is good, albeit many probably won't like it as they aren't too hot on Arteta.

mpower2540

I've had to stop listening to it, like @Rimaal I've come to absolutely detest listening to Clive. He thinks he's smarter than everyone when it comes to football. Totally insufferable.

I like Andrew/Arseblog from the Arsecast (can't really stand James anymore, chats too much sh!t) and the Tuesday Club is good, albeit many probably won't like it as they aren't too hot on Arteta.
I think Clive can make interesting points and he clearly has some coaching knowledge, but his boundless positivity gets on my nerves along with his know it all attitude. Paul thinks everything’s ****ing brilliant and Elliot’s instincts, which I often think are correct are shouted down by the rest because they think they can see something no one else can (like most Arteta defenders).

I don’t mind any of them really, James seems like a nice bloke although it seemed he was coming apart a couple of podcasts ago he was audibly frustrated.

I want Mikel to do well, but there’s far too many people who seem married to him! I’m desperate for Arsenal to do well, I quite like some of our business and I thought the team we had out there yesterday was a good one! Yet we spent most of the game in our own half against a bang average side who some people are trying to convince themselves are a tough team to beat when the facts are they’re not!

I don’t really care about being right, I’ll be more than happy to praise Mikel if he turns this around, but I can’t help that emotionally I was exasperated with how we played yesterday and I think it’s all on our manager.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Last year's 'discovery' happened when Willian was no longer available. This year's 'discovery' when Xhaka was unavailable. The few things he gets right he stumbles into and it looks like we're stuck with this nincompoop until May at least.
Like his guru bald fraud got saved by the fact that covid took out the tossers in his squad & discount brock lesnar got injured so he got forced into playing his best 11

He learned from the biggest fraud so you can't expect much else

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I think Clive can make interesting points and he clearly has some coaching knowledge, but his boundless positivity gets on my nerves along with his know it all attitude. Paul thinks everything’s ****ing brilliant and Elliot’s instincts, which I often think are correct are shouted down by the rest because they think they can see something no one else can (like most Arteta defenders).

Yes I agree regarding this. I quite like listening to Elliot because he doesn't tend to try to be a know it all and just calls it like he feels, often time he doesn't try to over complicate things either and often time he tends to be right.

I don’t mind any of them really, James seems like a nice bloke although it seemed he was coming apart a couple of podcasts ago he was audibly frustrated.

I want Mikel to do well, but there’s far too many people who seem married to him! I’m desperate for Arsenal to do well, I quite like some of our business and I thought the team we had out there yesterday was a good one! Yet we spent most of the game in our own half against a bang average side who some people are trying to convince themselves are a tough team to beat when the facts are they’re not!

I don’t really care about being right, I’ll be more than happy to praise Mikel if he turns this around, but I can’t help that emotionally I was exasperated with how we played yesterday and I think it’s all on our manager.

Yep that's it, I don't really like Arteta but if he started to perform well, stopped having weird issues with certain players (like the Saliba situation) then of course I'd back him and admit I got it wrong.

I really like being wrong when it benefits the club - for example, I didn't want us to sign Tavares given reports from Portugal, but admit he's looked like a good signing so far and I've admitted this several times already; I don't pretend like I called it right when I didn't unlike some certain posters.....

And I never started with the intention of disliking Arteta, infact (and I always say this) but I thought he was the next "great" coming into the 20/21 season and it's his actions last season that really put me off.

But I feel like there's a weird agenda driven backing of Arteta in the media. I have no idea why really, he was a good player but not a club legend yet a lot of people are determined for him to be successful even if the signs point to the opposite.

🤷‍♂️

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Still can’t believe Mikel was in relegation form while Tuchel was available and we chose patience.

Some Chelsea fans think they currently have their best team in almost ten years.

It hurts me, it hurts me badly.

I do remember that OnlyOne campaigned pretty hard for him too but the usual suspects were all about giving Arteta time.

Just imagine if Tuchel came in at the turn of the year and we replaced Edu with someone like Campos then gave them the £150M+ we gave Bumteta and Plebu this summer......................it hurts my soul.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Just watching match of the day and Man United had two legit penalties turned down and still had enough to win the game.

This is why I tell people to stop crying over referee decisions until we’re actually creating enough to convincingly win games. It happens to all teams.

Alexs

And any Arteta in maniacs need to look closely at Arsenal and Chelsea since Lampard left, including signings. Yes Chelsea have/had a better squad but not hugely better and their sacked manager had some managerial experience and actually was a club legend. With Tuchel/a real manager they won the CL, could easily win the league this year and we’re praying for 6th or 7th.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom