• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Has Klopp made a profit for 7-8 years in a row? I didn't think that was the case, though I don't know for sure admittedly.

Gotcha, missed that part. Yeah I don’t know that myself but when I looked at Liverpool’s spend on the way to challenging I did remember it looking good but it’s not something I’d debate.

I won’t pretend consistently getting top 4 is easy, but it’s certainly doable in my opinion.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't care how good a manager you are, you're not staying in the CL places making a profit every year for 7-8 years consecutively.
Sounds like you're making excuses for Arteta already and he hasn't got there once yet at 3 attempts. Maybe 4th time lucky.

This is right up there with the league's getting harder. Lol.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Sounds like you're making excuses for Arteta already and he hasn't got there once yet at 3 attempts. Maybe 4th time lucky.

It's basically two attemps, because he came at half season point in 2019.

Goonerist

I’m really starting to see why he was considered such a prodigy of a coach. Compare him to other ex players and managers of a similar age and he’s clear.

I’m happy to eat the humble pie served, especially after getting rid of all of those clown players like Laca and Auba. You can see how much they were hindering our style of play.

He actually has good taste in players not letting awful crap get lots of minutes like Arsène use to.
I don’t think now is the time to start talking about Eating Humble Pie.
Arteta has not achieved the end goal that we are all looking for. But he has been progressing us since he was appointed

But what I have always said is that “We should all form our opinion on the objective Evidence in front of us. If the evidence shows that Arteta and the team are doing okay we should go where that evidence points. If it shows that Arteta and the team are going backwards relative to a set goal or variables then we go where that evidence is pointing..

There’s no need to just pump from one extreme to the other depending on where the wind is blowing. Lets just be objective, rational and logical..

It just feels like a lot of posters are too dug into their conclusions that nothing with Arteta will change their minds fully. Will always find anything to hold on.

Objectivity is key here..

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

How am I making excuses?

I've said multiple times I think Arteta should get sacked if he doesn't get top 4 this season given the backing he's had.

Harder or more competitive, however you want to phrase it.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

I know you and a few others have said it so many times now that you’re probably starting to think it’s true, but did Mikel not take over halfway through his first season when we were near the bottom, finishing 8th in the end (forget the FA cup)? Apologies if I’m wrong, I’m five Stellas deep and I’ve only had Walnut Whip all day! So 2.5 seasons right?

say yes

forum master baiter
I know you and a few others have said it so many times now that you’re probably starting to think it’s true, but did Mikel not take over halfway through his first season when we were near the bottom, finishing 8th in the end (forget the FA cup)? Apologies if I’m wrong, I’m five Stellas deep and I’ve only had Walnut Whip all day! So 2.5 seasons right?
You can immediately discount the views of any poster who includes Arteta’s first half season in his list of “failures”. They’re either incredibly disingenuous or mind-bogglingly stupid, potentially both.

We were closer to the relegation zone than top 4 when he took over, with half the season gone and the club in free fall.

It’s both

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I’m really starting to see why he was considered such a prodigy of a coach. Compare him to other ex players and managers of a similar age and he’s clear.

I’m happy to eat the humble pie served, especially after getting rid of all of those clown players like Laca and Auba. You can see how much they were hindering our style of play.

He actually has good taste in players not letting awful crap get lots of minutes like Arsène use to.
For what it’s worth, some great people have said some great things about him with regards to him being managerial material but apparently that only matters when great people say great things about certain players people like.

If you are going to commit, it’s good to see you go balls deep—well not literally but you know what I mean... None of this trying to have every dangly bit on your body dipped in every pie. Hespect 👍🏼

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

True, but apologies if I’m wrong, but didn’t Conte take over within a few weeks of Arteta before Xmas, and qualify for the top 4 and CL straight away. The media all said, ‘In his first season’. It can be done by experienced managers.

Edit: just seen @jones has already wrung you out

drippin

Harder or more competitive, however you want to phrase it.
It always cracks me how the biggest squad cost advocate (which I in many parts agree), doesn't think the league has got harder. Because he can't say so as it would in his opinion diminish Wenger's achievements. :lol:

Especially in recent years all the EPL clubs have got huge amount of more money. Also there are all the time more people who try to become professional footballers.

This at some point makes the market saturated, the top teams can't have all the best players, but the lesser teams will up their level more and more, because they can now attract players that was not possible earlier, as they can outbid in fees and wages most clubs from the continent. That didn't happen as much as before.

So it's very obvious EPL has gotten harder the more money it has got, and the more good players even the bottom teams can attract when there are more good players available because of how popular football has become now.

But this guy can never admit it because he fears it somehow diminishes Wenger's achievements. But still squad costs is what matters him the most. You can't make this stuff up.

drippin

Does this mean Conte did it on his 0th (0st?) attempt?
No, it just means Conte did more than was expected.

Half a season in charge is not a true attempt, when you take over a club in crisis.

Just like Arteta did more than was expected when he won FA Cup that season.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Of course, he wasn't ruthless with players, it wasn't in his nature. He kept giving them chances. But you'll have to admit sometimes it paid off, like RVP. The frustration with his injuries was unbearable at times. But remember despite this criticism of his lack of ruthlessness he finished top 4 every single year for 20 years. He was doing something right. Arteta's on his 4th attempt spending a mountain more, despite his god like status on here.
Arsène is objectively a better manager than Arteta but football is played by the players and I’d rather have us go for top quality than watch Almunia for 8 years. Give Arsène this Man City team he’d get 100+ points too.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

We can’t really be sure of that though. How would Lampard have fared if he’d been given 2 years to come 8th, then a 5th and allowed to swap out all the players for his chosen ones.

Arsenal have shown the way by allowing an inexperienced manager to make mistakes and support him financially instead of sacking him at being mid table. And if it comes good, other clubs will probably follow suit. Trailblazers.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
We can’t really be sure of that though. How would Lampard have fared if he’d been given 2 years to come 8th, then a 5th and allowed to swap out all the players for his chosen ones.

Arsenal have shown the way by allowing an inexperienced manager to make mistakes and support him financially instead of sacking him at being mid table. And if it comes good, other clubs will probably follow suit. Trailblazers.
You can see it happening already with Ten Hag and Potter as well, Lampard himself is actually being backed at Everton and given a long leash. Arsenal really set the standard again as usual.

But if Arteta doesn’t get top 4 this season I think he’ll lose a lot of good will. Now is the time no more excuses.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Lampard got top 4 though :lol:

After a transfer embargo too. Off the top of my head it wasn't an amazing squad with a lot of players Arsenal fans would want. We know this cause one of them came here in the shape of Willian and a lot them have been phased out.

Arteta can clearly coach and definitely has an idea of the way he wants to play, but doesn't every manager? I don't buy the prodigious thing one bit and people will think I'm being facetious saying this after back to back wins but I'm just being honest. I see the marketing, the mistakes and the support he gets from the club however.

The one thing I could possibly point out is his ability to manage upwards? Something Tuchel, Conte and many of his peers famously struggle with he seems to have a knack for it.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom