• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Their French national team mates at the time openly acknowledged Anelka was better than Henry, particularly at youth level and talent wise. You ever watched Anelka's documentary on Netflix? I reckon you'd love it despite it not being too Arsenal focused.

Really made sense of his nomadic career and reminded me it was actually way better than I remembered in terms of achievements.

Nah I haven't. It's on my watchlist on Netflix though. I'll have to check it out.

If he had stayed with Wenger for 2-3 more years I think he would have exploded. It used to annoy me seeing him play for Bolton in his peak years. He should have been so much more than he was.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Whilst I always had a problem results wise, Aubagate is where I just found it very hard to respect him, that authoritarian sneaky middle management stuff just rubs me up the wrong way as a person.
Yeah I think the only way I can proper get behind him as a person is some sort of ownership of the f*ckery he was doing in his early days. Don’t think that ever happens though so boy.

As a manager he’s doing alright though so I kind of just feel no way towards him.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

@Nacho just took your advice and started the Anelka doc. The scene where he was about to leave after his first season but Wenger talked him into staying.

…how you think that would go now?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

@Nacho just took your advice and started the Anelka doc. The scene where he was about to leave after his first season but Wenger talked him into staying.

…how you think that would go now?

He’d make a handful of appearances at best, sign an extension and call Arteta a top notch man manager before going on loan to Marseille.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He’d make a handful of appearances at best, sign an extension and call Arteta a top notch man manager before going on loan to Marseille.
Wenger actually spent half an hour convincing Anelka to stay when he should have been on the team bus heading to a game.

I don’t know if there’ll be another like him. I’m not sure if it’s even possible in modern football.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Think Anelka was overrated tbh, seen lots of full match highlights and a couple of games and he produced some pretty illiterate stuff with the ball. He was young tho

I’m just glad Mikel’s managed to save the Xhaka signing. He was well on his way to saving the Mustafi deal too but I guess the guy just didnt have the stomach to complete the journey to becoming a proper player

Adebayor was a top talent, more talented than drogba imo. Not sure why Wenger ditched him, guess he just had a problem handling big personalities, similar thing with Alex Song and szczesny

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Thousands of pages same old discussion.

Don't think some men on here ever will get over Arsène leaving or the current manager shifting a dusted Özil & in Auba a lax disciplined skipper who had not performed at anything near his wage level for over 12 months?🤔.

Please can we get Mesut & Auba back to keep the boys happy😂🤣

Arsène would have kept them playing at the top level for another 5 years at least even though they were both passed 30👍

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Arsène was famed for his use of older players such as Vieira, Pires, and Gilberto. Under Wenger, Auba and Özil would currently be hitting their golden years together
You pick examples from the glory days but I'm sure Vieira left b4 30? Gilberto was also dispersed of fairly quickly when his level dropped.
In his peak years Arsène never actually gave contracts of more than 12 months to anyone 30 or over tbf. If he felt they may no longer perform he would simply cast them away like some old rotten dirt🤪.

They would likely not have stayed with these conditions tbh.
He did soften this approach in later years but the flip side was we ended up with some ageing underperforming players on big money.

Im not sure even Arsène could get Özil performing now. Perhaps as a bit part player/sub?
Auba maybe but it really would depend on if he is still physically capable of doing it regularly in the prem.
Will be interesting to see how he does this season at Chelsea.
I really like Auba but not sure you want 33 year old him now as your main striker in the prem.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
You pick examples from the glory days but I'm sure Vieira left b4 30? Gilberto was also dispersed of fairly quickly when his level dropped.
In his peak years Arsène never actually gave contracts of more than 12 months to anyone 30 or over tbf. If he felt they may no longer perform he would simply cast them away like some old rotten dirt🤪.

They would likely not have stayed with these conditions tbh.
He did soften this approach in later years but the flip side was we ended up with some ageing underperforming players on big money.

Im not sure even Arsène could get Özil performing now. Perhaps as a bit part player/sub?
Auba maybe but it really would depend on if he is still physically capable of doing it regularly in the prem.
Will be interesting to see how he does this season at Chelsea.
I really like Auba but not sure you want 33 year old him now as your main striker in the prem.

I think generally players can go on performing into their early to maybe mid 30's without falling off too much these days with a lot of the medical, training, nutrition advances etc.

It did seem to feel like for the most part a player hitting 30 was a bit like a ticking clock on their careers back in Wengers glory days so I can't really blame him for the 1 year extensions. Seemed like a reasonable thing to do really.

Auba I think would struggle to fit in tactically rather than ability wise.
Özil is done. Couldn't even see peak Wenger getting anything out of him now tbh.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Wenger actually spent half an hour convincing Anelka to stay when he should have been on the team bus heading to a game.

I don’t know if there’ll be another like him. I’m not sure if it’s even possible in modern football.

There can definitely be another like him, at least in that treating players like humans aspect. The problem is the fans don't want that. They actually think silverware means everything, the fools.

Case in point most people getting excited that we can win things even if to do so we will have to heavily depend on a technicality walking around with our shirt. Things like that actually make me want Arsenal to not win things, can't lie there.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Must win game for Mick, can’t keep coming short against top teams. A draw here would’ve been ok had we beaten Utd.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Must win game for Mick, can’t keep coming short against top teams. A draw here would’ve been ok had we beaten Utd.

Hey. Hope you had some nice time away from the forum, All the best.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Wenger was very good at treating players like humans until they hit thirty and were no longer of use to him. Then he threw them out like dirty underwear😃

Top Bottom