• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
So all this talk about bringing people back from loan to bolster the squad for the title challenge was never going to happen.Starting to be convinced Arteta only wants to manage a thin squad. The fact he said we needed a midfielder but when we brought one in, he loaned one out, suggests it was only a need for higher competence than numbers from his perspective. Same thing happened on the wing.

Sp while we improved squad quality, is he taking a risk with squad size or is our player versatility sufficient to cover the thinness?

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Didn't need a visual demonstration.

No offence but wasn't sure if I'd read any of your posts before, so did a quick search and I discover you're yet another virulently anti-Arteta poster who got got promoted to trusted while I was away. Could't make it up 😭

He was actually Arteta In when a lot of the guys who backed him took a break from the forum ironically, he changed his mind quicker than a lot of us.

I think the guys who backed Arteta a bit longer permanently lumping him with Arteta-Out is unconscious bias.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I think the guys who backed Arteta a bit longer permanently lumping him with Arteta-Out is unconscious bias.

Yeah tbh it's not unexpected, as reading comprehension doesn't seem to be a strong attribute of many here, just screaming down their talking points ad nauseam (ok so you can't scream over text but allow me).

But yeah I'll never forget the way the "positivity merchants" crumbled after just 2-3 losses towards the end of last season, honestly it was a surprise to me but it shows how fickle football is.

But don't worry Arteta, I might not have been suckling your teets like Gunnerblog for 3 years non-stop, but I'll still be backing the team and the cause even if we slip, I don't duck and hide like that.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

So all this talk about bringing people back from loan to bolster the squad for the title challenge was never going to happen.Starting to be convinced Arteta only wants to manage a thin squad. The fact he said we needed a midfielder but when we brought one in, he loaned one out, suggests it was only a need for higher competence than numbers from his perspective. Same thing happened on the wing.

So while we improved squad quality, is he taking a risk with squad size or is our player versatility sufficient to cover the thinness?
Said it in some other thread, but Sambi had his chances. City match with the defensive concentration lapses along with walking out straight after the game while other players stayed on the pitch, was the final straw. He won't keep such players in the squad.

So yes, what I think is that Jorginho is an Elneny upgrade. I also think that either Arteta uses some other versatile player as DMF instead of Sambi. Heck, he might even play Kiwior there rather than Sambi. He has played 21 games as DMF and 16 games as CB in Serie A.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
People will be making all the excuses for Potter come May, after he's been opening unlimited premium FIFA packs in January.

Meanwhile Mikel came in midseason as a first time manager having to deal with Covid, squad mutiny, cleaning up the mess that was this club, and getting only one FIFA bronze loan pack in January containing Cedric, Mari and Ceballos.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
People will be making all the excuses for Potter come May, after he's been opening unlimited premium FIFA packs in January.

Meanwhile Mikel came in midseason as a first time manager having to deal with Covid, squad mutiny, cleaning up the mess that was this club, and getting only one FIFA bronze loan pack in January containing Cedric, Mari and Ceballos.
Mikel also won a FA Cup with that!

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I’ll also add this, and I’ll preface it by saying that I’m an Arsenal man, so it could just be my bias.

I have respect for Ten Hag and the good work he has done at United. He will be a success there for sure.

My point though is that I don’t think he is superior to Arteta at all, based on what I’ve seen from him so far. At this stage, I would say Arteta is the superior manager.

Still some time to go though, let’s see where we are this time next season. Could be a completely different ballgame.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

The same team Arteta took to two 8th placed finishes (just one if you want to discount the first half season fair enough) got 70pts and an EL final couple months before he took over.

Since they left: Auba fired Barcelona into the CL, Pepe slowly rebuilding at Nice (after getting discarded despite getting 16 for Arsenal), Laca is at 15 goals halfway through the season, Martinez won a Copa and WC, Ceballos has benched Modric and is about to get a contract extension for the CL winners.

Xhaka is the best example of Arteta's growth as a manager, he was one of the weaknesses in our first XI when he took over and his insistence of playing him has led to him becoming one of the first names on the team sheet. Who's saying this wouldn't have happened if Arteta had the same (probably even less) patience with the other guys he's banished from the squad?

Arteta made loads of massive costly mistakes, not sure why this needs to be revisited now. That's at least as factual as that we're now massively overperforming under him.
You know very well that Laca, Ceballos, Martinez were not the problems I was referring to. Neither was Joe Willock. All three were of importance and released for different reasons than the one reason I mentioned: clearing the rot.

Laca was end of lifetime in PL though Mikel rated him highly. Martinez did not want to compete with Ramsdale (or was it Leno?) and Ceballos was useful but didn't make enough impact to be permanently signed. People would have crucified Arteta if he was. He only just now caught a patch of form.

Even Auba wasn't a problem until last season when things turned sour. That is down to both Mikel's and Auba's character and obviously the drop in added value.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You know very well that Laca, Ceballos, Martinez were not the problems I was referring to. Neither was Joe Willock. All three were of importance and released for different reasons than the one reason I mentioned: clearing the rot.

Laca was end of lifetime in PL though Mikel rated him highly. Martinez did not want to compete with Ramsdale and Ceballos was useful but didn't make enough impact to be permanently signed. People would have crucified Arteta if he was. He only just now caught a patch of form.

Even Auba wasn't a problem until last season when things turned sour. That is down to both Mikel's and Auba's character and obviously the drop in added value.

Ceballos always praises Arteta as well, calls him a top coach who helped him a lot. Dani was also instrumental in our cup win, him and Xhaka were immense together. Not really a stick you can use to beat Arteta with.

drippin

I’ll also add this, and I’ll preface it by saying that I’m an Arsenal man, so it could just be my bias.

I have respect for Ten Hag and the good work he has done at United. He will be a success there for sure.

My point though is that I don’t think he is superior to Arteta at all, based on what I’ve seen from him so far. At this stage, I would say Arteta is the superior manager.

Still some time to go though, let’s see where we are this time next season. Could be a completely different ballgame.
I wonder where my answer to Makingtrax went about why Arsenal had to buy older players to have funds for Partey's release clause in regards to FFP?

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Xhaka is the best example of Arteta's growth as a manager, he was one of the weaknesses in our first XI when he took over and his insistence of playing him has led to him becoming one of the first names on the team sheet. Who's saying this wouldn't have happened if Arteta had the same (probably even less) patience with the other guys he's banished from the squad?
One word: Mentality.

Whatever we can say about his qualities in seasons past, Xhaka posesses elite mentality. What he went through and how he turned things around tells a lot about his character.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Btw I'm locking the thread if we go back to the revision talk, at least just so I can move the posts to the other thread and you lot can keep talk about it there.

Nothing personnel, kids.

drippin

Btw I'm locking the thread if we go back to the revision talk, just so I can move the posts to the other thread and you lot can keep talk about it there.

Nothing personnel, kids.
I didn't think it was anything personal, just want to know where it is as I tried to look and can't find it anywhere. These can be deleted.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I didn't think it was anything personal, just want to know where it is as I tried to look and can't find it anywhere. These can be deleted.

The nothing personnel bit is an old internet meme, but it checks out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom