• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Finesse

The playing from the back has to continue. We fail to realise it is the best way to draw the opposition and bait them out of their defensive positions. Meaning Auba , Saka etc can drive into space and use movement to open up the opposition. Arteta is doing just fine with it but I just think the players are over confident about it and sometimes try to be too clever. Luis , Xhaka and Leno are culprits and they need to balance it. The city keeper is excellent at it but be sometimes pings the ball at his forwards with absolute precision. Leno should work on that. Every time we have conceded from an error it’s always Leno playing it casually into feet. He sees the game better and should pick wisely.

Under Emery we tried this and we never managed to succeed. He abandoned it at one stage. Arteta is sticking to it and it will come good despite the errors. This is not any comparison at both Managers but rather a emphasis on how we can do it better this time around with same players.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I've never seen him so miserable in an interview lol. He talked about stopping the individual errors. He said they weren't down to a lack of concentration but about when they play the ball. It's not about the structure or decision making either bit when they play the ball. He's not going to change playing out from the back as that is now us and we get a lot of reward for playing this way. But it is also how and when we play this way. He said the worse thing we can do is have the structure to play but not be willing to or fearful to play-he called this a bad mixture. He said we were solid and dominant and that the next step is to do that for 96 minutes and not give the opponent anything. He said we had some good moments and Partey's sub was tactical.
No smiles, some shrugs and no eye contact with the camera. I wonder if the individual brilliance winning the match is an affront to his careful tactics. Miserable Mik tonight it seems.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
One thing that has jumped out to me over the last couple of games is that the team seems quite happy together. The way they celebrate goals and are there for each other. Say what you will about Arteta the coach, but he seems to have created quite a good team atmosphere and spirit, at least from what you can see from the outside.

You could have made this post anytime since football began.

When has the team ever seemed unhappy together when they scored a goal? When has any team acted upset when they scored?

That's football mate, you generally forget everything when you score a goal. Even when you're playing at school with guys you can't stand, score a goal and everyone is now your best mate.

Legend14

Established Member
Winning cures all I guess. I thought we struggled to put a dent in the low block even though we knew they would play that way. It was an extremely boring game, against a miserable opponent, until we scored the two goals from individual brilliance.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
That's a myth. The league was tough in those days too. Blackburn Rovers had been taken over by the Walker Bothers who paid a record signing fee for Alan Shearer winning the league in 1995, battling it out with Liverpool and United. Liverpool were still a big force and that year Middlesborough splashed out millions on foreign players like Emerson, Ravanelli, Branco and Festa. And Newcastle United with Kevin Keegan in charge had a superb team with David Ginola, Les Ferdinand and of course poaching Shearer from Blackburn for another record fee of £15m. Villa too were big in those days

It was a hard league and Wenger knew nothing about English football but he still got top 4 right from his first season, having been 12th the season before. He was no Arteta, and it was a sign of what was to come.
Unlike the Walker Brothers we don't make it easy on ourselves.

mirrorstare

I've never seen him so miserable in an interview lol. He talked about stopping the individual errors. He said they weren't down to a lack of concentration but about when they play the ball. It's not about the structure or decision making either bit when they play the ball. He's not going to change playing out from the back as that is now us and we get a lot of reward for playing this way. But it is also how and when we play this way. He said the worse thing we can do is have the structure to play but not be willing to or fearful to play-he called this a bad mixture. He said we were solid and dominant and that the next step is to do that for 96 minutes and not give the opponent anything. He said we had some good moments and Partey's sub was tactical.
No smiles, some shrugs and no eye contact with the camera. I wonder if the individual brilliance winning the match is an affront to his careful tactics. Miserable Mik tonight it seems.

30 something matches too late and he still goes on with the we dominated everything shtick but glad he recognizes something is his fault. Good stuff.

In theory playing out of the back gives you plenty of advantages but we aren't really getting them, that's why inferior teams like Burnley and Olympiakos happily commit to the press despite the risk involved. They know there's very little actual risk if all you have to do at the end is clear away a cross.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
30 something matches too late and he still goes on with the we dominated everything shtick but glad he recognizes something is his fault. Good stuff.

In theory playing out of the back gives you plenty of advantages but we aren't really getting them, that's why inferior teams like Burnley and Olympiakos happily commit to the press despite the risk involved. They know there's very little actual risk if all you have to do at the end is clear away a cross.
I don't think he acknowledges anything is his fault. He said the structure and tactics were good and blamed the players decision making. He's not totally wrong there tbf.The issue is that we have the wrong players trying to execute his plans-i think it kills him that he carefully planned tactics produced tame shots on goal whilst individual brilliance by non favoured players bailed him out.

mirrorstare

I don't think he acknowledges anything is his fault. He said the structure and tactics were good and blamed the players decision making. He's not totally wrong there tbf.The issue is that we have the wrong players trying to execute his plans-i think it kills him that he carefully planned tactics produced tame shots on goal whilst individual brilliance by non favoured players bailed him out.
Oh, got too excited about him mentioning it wasn't due to the players lacking concentration. Shame on me. Thanks for the correction

Can take solace in the fact that even Arteta is starting to get angry at Artetaball despite winning I guess.

Finesse

If a player gets on the stats sheet with an assist or goal it is hard to knock the selection, but there is always going to be the question of whether the player on the bench would still have performed better than the player selected. This is where there will be a lot of discussion. I said in the match thread that Mikel would feel vindicated with certain decisions, but that is different from us accepting he was vindicated. If we cannot cut out the errors we need to be scoring more than one goal when on top in the first half, so you know how I still feel about that with regards to Saka and two playmakers vs. Saka, #10, and a runner on the LW who can score also.

Willian playing is more of a formation and tactical decision. It’s not about who is on form or not or better than the other. Willian is asked to use the width but push inwards to allow Tierney to occupy the space while Xhaka tucks in at LB. Does it work ? Absolutely the amount of times Tierney was putting balls in and creating chance upon chance from the left side means it is working. If we converted those clear chances then we overpower the opponent and any hopes of coming back into the game. It remains a tactical choice. Willian can combine and draw players to allow space for KT. It’s not about who can play in the 11 based on form and ability. It’s about who can play to the tactical approach chosen by the manager.

We have a massive squad and the manager has all the stats and data in training to make that decision. Thomas was taken off purely a tactical decision. We were dominating play and needed a midfielder who could push up in Ceballos. It was not about who is better or not. Mari has been excellent so far and I wished he started. However the a manager went for Gabby and when the moment presented itself he showed why he deserved his place with that goal.

Pepe will play vs Sp**s. Arteta will go for a more direct system like against Leicester. Laca will come in too I guess.

No matter if Martinelli or Pepe is used. Someone will have to sit out. City is doing this week in week out and the players understand and keep fresh and ready to be called upon. It’s not a standard or static 11 issue. We have to understand how the manager wants to play and set his team.

Legend14

Established Member
Willian playing is more of a formation and tactical decision. It’s not about who is on form or not or better than the other. Willian is asked to use the width but push inwards to allow Tierney to occupy the space while Xhaka tucks in at LB. Does it work ? Absolutely the amount of times Tierney was putting balls in and creating chance upon chance from the left side means it is working. If we converted those clear chances then we overpower the opponent and any hopes of coming back into the game. It remains a tactical choice. Willian can combine and draw players to allow space for KT. It’s not about who can play in the 11 based on form and ability. It’s about who can play to the tactical approach chosen by the manager.

We have a massive squad and the manager has all the stats and data in training to make that decision. Thomas was taken off purely a tactical decision. We were dominating play and needed a midfielder who could push up in Ceballos. It was not about who is better or not. Mari has been excellent so far and I wished he started. However the a manager went for Gabby and when the moment presented itself he showed why he deserved his place with that goal.

Pepe will play vs Sp**s. Arteta will go for a more direct system like against Leicester. Laca will come in too I guess.

No matter if Martinelli or Pepe is used. Someone will have to sit out. City is doing this week in week out and the players understand and keep fresh and ready to be called upon. It’s not a standard or static 11 issue. We have to understand how the manager wants to play and set his team.
But are the tactics working. Having Tierney send in a bunch of crosses is not better than having Pepe breakdown the opponent in the final third. In addition, why couldn’t Pepe do what Willian is doing?

Subbing of Partey for Ceballos led to a goal for the other team. Absolutely did not work. In addition, we were leading in the match, so how is putting an attack minded, mistake prone CM in for the reliable control a better tactical decision. No one believes that this was a smart tactical decision, it was a head scratcher.

Mari out for the better CB is not a brilliant decision, it’s a basic one. And Arteta did not plan for Gabriel to make such a fantastic individual play.

Today Arteta was bailed out, which is why he was less arrogant in his winning interview.

We are expected to win against such a poor side with or without Arteta.

Iceman10

Established Member
But are the tactics working. Having Tierney send in a bunch of crosses is not better than having Pepe breakdown the opponent in the final third. In addition, why couldn’t Pepe do what Willian is doing?

Subbing of Partey for Ceballos led to a goal for the other team. Absolutely did not work. In addition, we were leading in the match, so how is putting an attack minded, mistake prone CM in for the reliable control a better tactical decision. No one believes that this was a smart tactical decision, it was a head scratcher.

Mari out for the better CB is not a brilliant decision, it’s a basic one. And Arteta did not plan for Gabriel to make such a fantastic individual play.

Today Arteta was bailed out, which is why he was less arrogant in his winning interview.

We are expected to win against such a poor side with or without Arteta.

I have similar questions regarding why Pepe could not do all that with Tierney and also why the attacking end of that flank has to be more reliant on the full back for output which seems a rather strange concept, but I can get that if Arteta has a specific technical strategy he goes with the safer more experienced player to execute it. In some ways I don’t think Arteta can fully handle the unpredictability of Pepe yet but that is far from a compliment on my part for Arteta.

Still, when we win we win. I’m not on board with favouring older players like Luiz and Willian so much because instinctively that feels like hurting us down the road with our potential players of the future. Doesn’t have to be the selection for this match, but we’re talking about selections for this match and the Burnley one combined, regardless of what Arteta ends up doing for the NLD.

(@Finesse)

ArtetaOut

Imagine fapping over a win against ****ing Olympiakos lmao. Beating an inferior Europa side means nothing and Arteta will get a rude awakening against Spuds this weekend. I can't wait to see all the Kroenke shills here lying flat on their faces again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Before this guy sells

Guendouzi
Martinelli
Saliba
Pepe
Mavropanos

For peanuts...Edu and the board should veto any sales Arteta recommends, because who knows if he will be here come December?
This is the most frustrating thing. You accept 10th a lot more if those kids have been playing all season, instead they’re all further away than ever.

Would we be doing worse if Saliba was starting all season instead of Holding/Luiz? If Martinelli kept getting minutes on his return from injury?

It’s worrying how he handles ‘the future’.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Our playing from the back thing nonsensical. I know he said in the presser afterward that players need to judge better when to play out and when not, but isn’t that why he’s there as coach. What are they working on training each week?

Surely professional footballers know not to play put every single ****ing time if the risk is not worth it. We are constantly gifting the opposition goals while working extra hard to score ours. It doesn’t make sense.

Sir Harry and Sonaldo will feast at the carpet on Sunday if he doesn’t ****ing sort it out.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Imagine fapping over a win against ****ing Olympiakos lmao. Beating an inferior Europa side means nothing and Arteta will get a rude awakening against Spuds this weekend. I can't wait to see all the Kroenke shills here lying flat on their faces again.
The win was far from convincing, 2 goals from unlikely sources with very little created throughout the game, as you say, against a very poor side that obviously can't defend (or attack).

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
This is the most frustrating thing. You accept 10th a lot more if those kids have been playing all season, instead they’re all further away than ever.

Would we be doing worse if Saliba was starting all season instead of Holding/Luiz? If Martinelli kept getting minutes on his return from injury?

It’s worrying how he handles ‘the future’.
The only "future" player he took from the academy is ESR, who is now on the bench so we can develop a guy on loan from RM.
I can't believe there is nobody in higher management at the club who is willing to but a break to this madness.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I think he was miserable because he knows we got away with it last night, which is remarkable given how dominant we were throughout.

It's bad enough when you make at least one big mistake a game, but last night we had like 4? Better opposition and we would have had a bad result last night.

In boxing what he is doing is basically rope-a-dope, Ali got away with it against Foreman because he was so good and because he could take punishment, but more often than not the guy who tries it against decent opposition ends up leaving the ring in a stretcher.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The only "future" player he took from the academy is ESR, who is now on the bench so we can develop a guy on loan from RM.
I can't believe there is nobody in higher management at the club who is willing to but a break to this madness.

One of the useless Arsenal journalists should hopefully ask about Martinelli soon. Edu being such a **** is the big worry when it comes to our youngsters not getting minutes, doubt he has the bollocks to challenge Mikel.

Top Bottom